64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is my favorite Affleck flick that he's direct but after the hype I was left wanting. The first half of the movie is so dry and everything falls into place so easily it was almost laughable. Then when the emotional hook came in, everything still fell into place and the stakes were raised but I couldn't get over how much they had to force the emotion into the film. Yeah, argo fuck yourself i a funny line but it kind of lost it's edge after the 20th repeat. I don't know. It's a well made film. Good performances by Arkin and Cranston but best of the year? I don't think so.I give it a B or 8/10

Edited by JackO

I have a lot more to say about this but don't have the time tonight. But this could be my favourite film of the year. This is a rivetting film and I am really still enthralled with it 3 hours after I have left the theater. I'll post more tomorrow.

• Like 1

Gone Baby Gone and The Town didn't blow me away, but this certainly did. Impeccably crafted and always riveting, yet whenever it decides to be funny, the jokes always land.ARGO is why I love movies.

DAMN! We agree on a film!
  • Like 2

Notice the predictably reserved reviews by 2 guys with DDL sigs.I`m seeing it tomorrow.

Hey, watch it. That has nothing to do with my review. It was a really good movie, just not the best or and Oscar-worthy winner IMO

DAMN! We agree on a film!

Ladies and gentlemen, a baumer-Gopher alliance happens with a mere handful of films per year. Everyone needs to appreciate this moment by seeing Argo, maybe even multiple times.

I don`t believe in coincidences

Posted Image
  • Like 2

I don`t believe in coincidences and "coincidently" 2 reviews that say Argo`s good but not great, not best picture,yadda,yadda are by posters with DDL avatars.

Whatever. I'm not defending my opinion to you. I'll probably hate Lincoln as much as you. And btw, a B+ grade for a film is not anything to scoff at.

I thought this was absolutely excellent. The primary reason being Affleck and his actual productions crew's style, which was so authentic and so well shot. This wasn't just a great film with good directing, this was a great film with spectacular directing. Go him. The first half with Hollywood and the set up was both very interesting and funny, but it is when Ben gets to Iran that the film truly takes off. The last 40 minutes or so, from when they go to the bazaar to the exit of the airspace, was the most intense, edge of the seat film making of the year, which is incredible considering you already know what the end would be. Good performances too, though I didn't see any as Oscar worthy, even if Arkin gets nominated.A

• Like 1

there was a lot to love here, how the movie opened to the older Warner Bros logo was awesome. How the movie was able to have new footage and the older footage was awesome. The acting is incredible from to the hostages to the angry mob to the big name actors. The scenes were funny, tense, and cheerful. Another thing I loved about the movie was the pictures at the end of the movie and how those pictures were the same stuff in the movie. A+

• Like 1