64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

With Argo, a fascinating premise gives way to a very fascinating movie. While it's not quite as great as Gone Baby Gone, it still stands out as being Ben Affleck's most ambitious film behind the camera to date. It is by turns nail-bitingly tense, laugh-aloud funny, and emotionally resonant; under Affleck's direction, it's effective at all three. The story is dealt with in an intriguing manner throughout the two-hour running time, and the action moves so quickly and with such urgency that it's all too easy to get caught up in it. Affleck's performance in front of the camera is effective, though low-key - I think his character could have used some sharper development. The other star names in the cast are a blast to watch: Alan Arkin scores most of the film's biggest laughs in his most enjoyable performance since his Oscar win, while John Goodman and Bryan Cranston make the most of small roles. The six actors cast as the hostages are also quite effective in establishing tight-knit relationships with one another, and the humanity with which they imbue their group makes the need to get them out of Iran even more immediate. Whether it can hold its ground as a major Oscar contender remains to be seen, but Argo serves as not only another big winner for Ben Affleck as a director, but also a further indicator of the surprising amount of thematic and genre range he has displayed behind the camera.

A-

• Like 2

B.From the ride to the airport to the moment they left Iran's airspace I was enthralled, invested and downright enchanted with the art unfolding on my screen. Everything before or after not so much. Apart from that beautiful piece of movie-making the only thing I thoroughly enjoyed were the news clips which made me really want to see a documentary on what happened instead.

It is a really good movie. I may have been expecting more with all the raves so that may have worked against it. But still overall, it is easily one of the best movies this year.

It was able to combine enough lighthearted moments to make it not a totally somber film.

Everyone was great acting wise as well.

A

Edited by 75live

Specular!! I loved the movie.First overall I love history. I love all types of history European, Middle Eastern, Japaneses, Chinese and, American.About a year and half ago, I took a modern history of the Middle East, it was a course about the last two hundred years of the history in the Middle East. I learned so much on how much the world has fucked with Middle East and try to control the Middle East.About the movie, it was great movie. Better than the Town. Afflect is great director. The movie is filmed so well. The Embassy when it is taken over was so intense. I agree with Fishnets, Affect should do a zombie movie. The humor was great in the movie. I laughing more than i expected. The last part of the movie was so intense, I was sweating even though I knew they were getting out safety.Canadian Government are the heroes in this. Canada could easily no the hostages and not let them in. Canada could say no to the CIA. But Canada stood brave. Tony Mendez is also a hero for going to Iran and doing this. Also going against orders, he could left safely but he decide to risk his own life to safe the hostages. About the hostages, there no way I could gotten through air port security. I would been shaken and sweating so bad 8.5 or 9 /10

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

Specular!! I loved the movie.First overall I love history. I love all types of history European, Middle Eastern, Japaneses, Chinese and, American.About a year and half ago, I took a modern history of the Middle East, it was a course about the last two hundred years of the history in the Middle East. I learned so much on how much the world has fucked with Middle East and try to control the Middle East.About the movie, it was great movie. Better than the Town. Affect is great director. The movie is filmed so well. The Embassy when it is taken over was so intense. I agree with Fishnets, Affect should do a zombie movie. The humor was great in the movie. I laughing more than i expected. The last part of the movie was so intense, I was sweating even though I knew they were getting out safety.Canadian Government are the heroes in this. Canada could easily no the hostages and not let them in. Canada could say no to the CIA. But Canada stood brave. Tony Mendez is also a hero for going to Iran and doing this. Also going against orders, he could left safely but he decide to risk his own life to safe the hostages. About the hostages, there no way I could gotten through air port security. I would been shaken and sweating so bad 8.5 or 9 /10

Affect??????????? First he was CIA, so he is trained to operate in tough situations, and to handle pressure, and to risk his life, as part of his job.Didn't understand why CIA said US couldn't take responsibilty for this, but Canada could, as Canada was even called out for doing this. >>>> As to what could they do to the US, that now they would be doing to Canada?

Affect???????????First he was CIA, so he is trained to operate in tough situations, and to handle pressure, and to risk his life, as part of his job.Didn't understand why CIA said US couldn't take responsibilty for this, but Canada could, as Canada was even called out for doing this. >>>> As to what could they do to the US, that now they would be doing to Canada?

Because If the CIA would take responsibility they would risk the other hostage lives, Canada could go get away since it was another country and Canada could say they were trying to get there own workers out of Canadian embassy. Iran was not mad at Canada during the riots.
  • Like 1

Ok. That sounds correct. Also is Ben a Democrat as the main reason that hostages got realeased was the Reagan was coming into office and they were scared of his rep. As Under Carter, nothing got done for like 444 days. If I remember correctly.

Ok. That sounds correct.Also is Ben a Democrat as the main reason that hostages got realeased was the Reagan was coming into office and they were scared of his rep. As Under Carter, nothing got done for like 444 days. If I remember correctly.

This movie isn't about the "main" hostage crisis. It was about rescuing a group of six embassy workers who escaped during the initial takeover and were hiding out separately in Tehran. Had they been caught, they would have been hung in the square.
  • Like 2

This movie isn't about the "main" hostage crisis. It was about rescuing a group of six embassy workers who escaped during the initial takeover and were hiding out separately in Tehran. Had they been caught, they would have been hung in the square.

I had to rush to another movie - as I am seeing this again...but why was Carter getting so much praise at the end of the movie, with the credits.... as basically he did nothing???

They (the hostages in the embassy) were let out with Reagan in office but Carter did all the leg work. and plus he was the one that signed off on getting the six home safely.

Edited by Halloween baumer