Neo

Phase 3 (CA3 - 5/6/2016) Marvel Dates 5 Mystery Movies

I don't see why Black Panther doesn't make the roster over Dr. Strange.I know Feige likes Strange but BP fits right in with Avengers 3.

Strange would be picked over BP. It's pretty much already a done deal while Feige hardly talks about Black Panther, and when he has he says how difficult it is to actually bring to the big screen and fit into the MCU. I think they will one day, but I wouldn't bet on him getting a movie in phase 3. Best case for BP is if we see Wakanda and T'Challa before he becomes BP in A2. 

So what do you think, Neo, does Marvel start summer 2016 with a brand new character (like Dr Strange) or a known character like Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc?

An already-established character should theoretically make a lot more money than a debut character. Thor 3 should be able to make more money in this spot than Dr Strange. Do they sacrifice the guaranteed money-making advantage of the summer opener spot in favor of using it to introduce a new character like Dr Strange?

Marvel (and Disney) is in the business of making money. Thor 3 will likely make more money if it opens on May 6 compared to any other possible weekend opening in 2016. On the other hand, Dr Strange wouldn't make anywhere near as much money, but that weekend would be it's best shot at catching on with a portion of the GA, thus increasing his box office potential in the future.

So what do you think, Neo, does Marvel start summer 2016 with a brand new character (like Dr Strange) or a known character like Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc?

An already-established character should theoretically make a lot more money than a debut character. Thor 3 should be able to make more money in this spot than Dr Strange. Do they sacrifice the guaranteed money-making advantage of the summer opener spot in favor of using it to introduce a new character like Dr Strange?

Marvel (and Disney) is in the business of making money. Thor 3 will likely make more money if it opens on May 6 compared to any other possible weekend opening in 2016. On the other hand, Dr Strange wouldn't make anywhere near as much money, but that weekend would be it's best shot at catching on with a portion of the GA, thus increasing his box office potential in the future.

I am thinking Strange for May 2016 and a sequel movie for May 2017. Remember the 2014 were changed from their tentpole May/June dates. BTW I don't think they will do this. Why Strange? Feige said it was up next for Marvel, meaning post Ant-Man and May 2016 is their next date. I think May 2017 will be a sequel, most likely IM4 (4 years out). Thor will be 3.5 years out and CAP would be 3 years out. Looking at IM3 numbers would guess would be it. Also will likely get a August/April/November movies these years, so a Panther in 2017 and a Thor 3 movie in 2016 wouldn't surprise me.

Marvel hasn't always thought about the money when making decisions, they are putting together this MCU, this is foremost. Maybe Dr. Strange wouldn't make as much money, but who would have thought IM would have made 300M+ in May? Now its a post-Avengers world and what would have been a Avengers-less Strange, is now a post-Avengers Strange. Thor made 181M in May, which wasn't a big known here like SM, Batman or Supes, but made a good amount in that May spot. If Strange does everything right matching Thor is definitely possible.

Could The Avengers 3 come out in 2019? instead of the predicted 2018 release.

Anything is possible. Look at STID 4 years after ST09 and was hurt in the bo not saying TA3 would have the same fate, but time hurts. At this time I can't see anything other than 2018.

Why? They have plenty of stories to tell in TA.They might take a hiatus for 4-5 years but TA series should continue.

Druv... TA is so big they never need to take a hiatus. Just keep giving us great stories with great casting :)..

Fans will keep showing up.

I agree. I don't want to see too much of a lull between TA films and not simply because I have that "more, more, more" mentality.  I was so afraid that 2007 would kill the CBM craze.  You had SM3, which made money but hardly pleased anyone.  Also, GR and FF2.  On the DC side, the year before had the underwhelming Superman Returns.  It was looking like a bleak streak quality-wise.  Thank the comic gods that the next year had TDK and Iron Man.  (Despite its BO performance, TIH gets a pass for its direct link to TA and furthering that universe.)  I think those two '08 flicks are solely responsible for keeping CBMs in the public consciousness.

So a large gap between what will (should) be high-quality, GA-pleasing films would be filled with more Green Lanterns and Punisher War Zones and Jonah Hexes and X-Men Origins Wolverines, etc. to the point that CBMs stop proving themselves worth the effort.