baumer

Weekend numbers Oct 19-21

It'll still be a good result but the concept has lost its novelty. If it drops to an opening in the 30s then it's already proven itself to be less consistent than the Saw franchise. I would make a final Paranormal Activity next year where 'all the questions are answered' or whatever marketing tactic will get numbers back up and end the franchise on a high note. The Devil Inside proved that found footage doesn't need to have a name to open huge, just a good marketing campaign.

• Like 2

Ah. Well that was quite an unfair characterization for baumer to include marketing in PA4's budget; made it seem like the production budget increased x6.

No I didn't. I just simply said that the budget is about 30 mill, since the budget includes marketing. We all know that PA's are made for next to nothing but now that they have gotten bigger, they have to have a substantial marketing budget. So it was very fair of me to point out that the budget is about 30 mill.

• Founder / Operator

It'll still be a good result but the concept has lost its novelty. If it drops to an opening in the 30s then it's already proven itself to be less consistent than the Saw franchise.I would make a final Paranormal Activity next year where 'all the questions are answered' or whatever marketing tactic will get numbers back up and end the franchise on a high note. The Devil Inside proved that found footage doesn't need to have a name to open huge, just a good marketing campaign.

And a PG-13 rating definitely helps with that as well (another reason PA's openings are so impressive, I feel).I completely agree with you though. They need end the series on its own terms and not wait for the inevitable sixth installment that complete tanks at the box office (not relative to budget though, they'll always keep it low enough to profit just like even the worst performing Saw did).Speaking of Saw, that's what Saw 3D. Made and marketed as the final movie. Only problem was that it came four years too late, something Paramount risks if they try to make PA5 just another regular ol' yearly installment.

Shawn:I don't think PA2 was disliked at all, and you can point to the massive opening of PA3 for that. People were excited after 2, they couldn't wait to return to PA. But the ending of the last one ruined a decent film. And that ending is what kept me from going to the midnight this time and maybe even opening weekend.

No I didn't. I just simply said that the budget is about 30 mill, since the budget includes marketing. We all know that PA's are made for next to nothing but now that they have gotten bigger, they have to have a substantial marketing budget. So it was very fair of me to point out that the budget is about 30 mill.

It's semantics, but the context of your quote implied that this was an increase from the 5 mil production budget of previous installments. It's not in the norm around here to include marketing when we say "the budget was xxx", unless it's specified. But it really doesn't matter.

• Founder / Operator

Shawn:I don't think PA2 was disliked at all, and you can point to the massive opening of PA3 for that. People were excited after 2, they couldn't wait to return to PA. But the ending of the last one ruined a decent film. And that ending is what kept me from going to the midnight this time and maybe even opening weekend.

I definitely understand your personal reaction toward it. I just don't see much of a difference between the general audience reactions toward PA2 and PA3. Legs were identical and all of the usual online measurements (RT, IMDb, Flixster, etc.) are either identical or slightly favor PA3. If PA3 was as off-putting for the audience as it was for yourself (relative to PA2), I don't think any of that would be the case here.I really just think PA4 was a huge misstep in itself (I haven't seen it yet) and the audience for these films was paying attention to it before Thursday. That, and/or the marketing campaign utterly failed to generate any excitement for the movie. Like I commented earlier, this is the first one that didn't feel like an "event" to me. The trailer was mediocre, the TV spots were few and far between, and the negative reviews really soured the milk before any of us even had a chance to go to the theater last night.I'm a believer in a sequel's box office performance often indicating the response toward the previous one to some extent, but not as a black-and-white rule and only when the other factors add up to support it. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

PA4 is just more of the same, and the fans will obviously show up, but after so many films the GA stops caring. Happens with every franchise

Exactly. That's where I think the "fatigue" is in this case. Not disappointment over what's come before, but a lack of enthusiasm for seeing it all over again.

I guess it bothers me because it seems like such a simple story to extend after the second. And the third really dropped the ball imo. There was so much backstory with the Mephistopheles stuff and to pretty much just completely ignore it in the third really kind of ticked me off.

• Founder / Operator

I guess it bothers me because it seems like such a simple story to extend after the second. And the third really dropped the ball imo. There was so much backstory with the Mephistopheles stuff and to pretty much just completely ignore it in the third really kind of ticked me off.

I do see your point. I personally like the third one but I think it would have been better served as either the finale that answers a few more questions or middle chapter of a trilogy with the third film being the one that jumps back to "present day" and resolves the overall story.Either way, that first one is still a modern horror masterpiece IMHO. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I absolutely adore the first two. And the third was very good up until the society of old people showed up and then made the film as confusing as Chinese math.

I wish I felt that way about the first one sometimes. I wanted another horror franchise to follow. But due to some things in the first one, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the 2nd one yet. One day I will give it a shot

I wish I felt that way about the first one sometimes. I wanted another horror franchise to follow. But due to some things in the first one, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the 2nd one yet. One day I will give it a shot

I know we seem to share a brain at times so I think you should trust me when I tell you that whatever problems you have with the first are rectified with the second. There is one scene in the film that had the entire theater jumping out of shock and fear, including me. PA2 is terrifying and if you want to be scared, just see it. :)

I know we seem to share a brain at times so I think you should trust me when I tell you that whatever problems you have with the first are rectified with the second. There is one scene in the film that had the entire theater jumping out of shock and fear, including me. PA2 is terrifying and if you want to be scared, just see it. :)

Well I have to believe they fixed one of the major things in the 2nd one just by having more budget.Yes we tend to have the same thought process about movies a lot ;) I will definitely at some point watch part 2, there is no doubt about that. I just don't feel as if I have to go out of my way to do so. If it pops up on cable or something I will watch it. Edited by 75live

Well I have to believe they fixed one of the major things in the 2nd one just by having more budget.Yes we tend to have the same thought process about movies a lot ;) I will definitely at some point watch part 2, there is no doubt about that. I just don't feel as if I have to go out of my way to do so. If it pops up on cable or something I will watch it.

What is it with the first that you didn't like?

What is it with the first that you didn't like?

Well basically the one major issue is the part when they actually show how they made the sound effects and parts of the movie while they were in the movie. I couldn't get back into being part of the experience after that. It was way too obvious I was watching a movie, if you get what i mean. Edited by 75live