kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

STAR TREK 3 - (Date - TBA)

TALE OF THE BODY THIEF, THE - (Date - TBA)

UNTITLED CHRONICLE 2 PROJECT - (Date - TBA)

UNTITLED PROMETHEUS 2 PROJECT - (Date - TBA)

VAN HELSING - (Date - TBA)

ID FOREVER PART 1 (aka INDEPENDENCE DAY 2) - (Date - TBA)

EPSILON - (Date - TBA)

http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/film_production_newlisting.html

Edited by Neo

MY PROJECTED SCHEDULE

May 1:  The Avengers 2

May 8:  TBA

May 15: Snow White and the Huntsman Part 2

May 22: Star Wars Episode VII

May 29: Terminator 5

June 5: B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations

June 5: Warcraft

June 12: Jurassic Park IV

June 19: Inside Out

June 19: Assassin’s Creed

June 26: Redemption of Cain

June 26: Mission Impossible 5

July 3:  ID Forever Part One

July 3:  Untitled Illumination Project

July 10: POTCV

July 17:  Man of Steel 2

July 24: Smurfs 3

July 24: Prometheus 2

July 31: World War Z 2

August 7: Untitled Bourne/Cross Film

FOX

WARNER BROS

SONY

PARAMOUNT

UNIVERSAL

DISNEY

MY PROJECTED SCHEDULE

May 1:  The Avengers 2

May 8:  TBA

May 15: Snow White and the Huntsman Part 2

May 22: Star Wars Episode VII

May 29: Terminator 5

June 5: B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations

June 5: Warcraft

June 12: Jurassic Park IV

June 19: Inside Out

June 19: Assassin’s Creed

June 26: Redemption of Cain

June 26: Mission Impossible 5

July 3:  ID Forever Part One

July 3:  Untitled Illumination Project

July 10: POTCV

July 17:  Man of Steel 2

July 24: Smurfs 3

July 24: Prometheus 2

July 31: World War Z 2

August 7: Untitled Bourne/Cross Film

FOX

WARNER BROS

SONY

PARAMOUNT

UNIVERSAL

DISNEY

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission Impossible goes for a December release again but it depends what the competition is like. MoS 2 will be July or December,

MoS2 should be december. Could easily get the december record and be the huge christmas movie. No way Avatar comes out before 2016 to take that spot.

I think July or December is likely for MoS 2 but I do want to see another DC film in 2015 either in the summer or December,

I hope this doesn't get shut down since although it's still really far away this isn't about a movie.

With the addition of Bond 24 to the schedule, November 2015's releases currently are:

• Ant-Man (BV) - 11/6
• Bond 24 (Sony) - 11/6
• Untitled Peanuts Movie (Fox) - 11/6
• The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 (LGF) - 11/20
• Finding Dory (BV) - 11/25

Now last November shamshed the November monthly record with 1.09B.  2015's November will be even more massive, with the strength of these releases and even more likely to come since it's still 2 and a half years away.

Compared to 2012:

Ant-Man should perform similarly to Wreck-it-Ralph, perhaps going higher or lower but not much out of the way of second-tier superhero movies like Thor and Captain America (170-180mish)

Bond 24 could open even higher than Skyfall due to the great WOM of the last film.  Here's where I think a movie will move though, because the general audience that drove Skyfall to such heights in 2012 will have quite a bit of overlap with the also action themed Ant-Man. Bond 24's obviously in a stronger position so Ant-Man will likely move.

Even more than 60 years after the first Peanuts comic, the Peanuts brand is still very popular with specials airing every year for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas to millions of viewers tuning in each time. With the popularity of this franchise I'm surprised that nothings come out in the last few decades so this movie could definitely be huge. Again this also opens November 5th but there's less overlap with the other two movies so it could stay.

Mockingjay 2 will beat Breaking Dawn 2 by a lot (despite what haters might say lol) and it will be quite front-loaded too so most of the gross will be in the November calendar month. Right now I think this is the least likely to move since Lionsgate picked these dates for the Hunger Games franchise movies the earliest.

Finding Dory is the sequel to the most attended Pixar movie of all time.  Dory is arguably their most popular character too so without a doubt this will be huge. Obviously this will gross more than Life of Pi, Rise of the Guardians and Red Dawn combined over its Thanksgiving opening.

What does everyone else think about this month?  Is it too crowded already with almost 2 and a half years left to add additional movies? Could we see this month dethrone July as the highest grossing aggregate month ever? Will something move, or will the weight of all the competition crush one or more of these releases?

Edited by Ice Minions
  • Like 1

The thing that the heads at Lionsgate or Disney might not realize is that both movies are targeting the same audience. The teens/preteens that started with The Hunger Games will be young adults in 2015, and so will the kids that grew up watching Finding Nemo. Well this demographic is the one that drives movies, not all of them will show up two weekends in a row to theaters to watch both.

• Like 3

What? Why would one of those move? Unproven stuff like Ant Man is what will move

But Dory and Katniss are just 5 days apart.

5 days.

It is almost a direct confrontation.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Another Pixar film is already scheduled there. But why should it? It's release date is perfect and the only real "family" film there

Wasn't Monsters University originally supposed to come out winter 2012? They probably just figured that people are more used to seeing Pixar films in the summer these days, so moved it there. It wouldn't surprise me if the same happened here given the crowded schedule.