25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Rushed ending? weak character development? On-the-nose soundtrack? Manipulative to the point of extreme annoyance? Half-assed religious/god/fate/whatever theme? Repetitive character study?Could be one of those.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

Disagree with the former point but totally agree with the latter.

I think that's fine, though. It's Tom Cruise syndrome... great actor, but you still know it's Denzel. He's not really a Daniel Day-Lewis kind of performer.
  • Like 1

I went to see Flight today. Everything was going fine until they decide to turn Denzel's character from a drunk to a sentimentalist guy out of nowhere.EDIT: I laughed a lot with the co-pilot's wife. Seriously, it was like she was possessed by God or something like that!

Edited by CJohn

Nice performance from Washington but everything else was so melodramatic, there were cliches galore and far too much was "on the nose" from the close-ups to the music. Potentially a wasted opportunity though without Washington, this would've merely been direct-to-video schlock not even on the Oscar's radar.

**½/*****, (C, 5.2/10, 2/4)

Sooo this stole The Master's screenplay nod and John Hawke's acting nom. Denzel was...Denzel. The story with the addict was pointless and could've been cut out completely, The plane sequence and trial were redeeming from total disaster.C+

• Like 3

The film starts off great. The whole flight scene is great and is easily the best part of the movie. After the first 30 minutes the film takes a nose dive and crash.  At the end of the film I was bored and want the film to end. I became such a typical drug addiction/ alcoholism movie that it felt like I have seen the movie before.   Denzel acting was pretty good especially during the flight scene.

5/10

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

Color me surprised.

I thought I was going to be bored to tears past the freakening plane crash. People who fear of plane travel will have nightmares. For me, it was so riveting I was grabbing the edges of my seat during the whole sequence, more and more chills. God, the scene when the plane suddenly dives out of nowhere had me going :o , then the plane rolling on itself :dunce: .(Loved that slow pan from the wing crashing the church tower to copilot's face especially what ensues next for him...). Zemeckis got a knack to direct these kind of jaw-dropping scene, spectacular and yet emotional, the timing in angst building is perfect, you feel like you're inside the cabin.(VFX are seamless too).

Denzel Washington made the movie for me. Since the first scene, he made me more and more emotionally attached to Whip Whitaker, an anti-hero that saves many people from dying in what everyone sees as a miracle but a drunken scumbag too that squanders everything around him to the point of no return. I laughed, I cried because of him, constantly torn apart between chances of redemption and total letdowns when he blows all chances of redeeming himself. If it was not for him, I probably would have not made through this. So, like Whitaker saves most of the passengers and crew, Denzel saves the whole movie of diving and repelling into complete bigotry and moral lessons because I felt for him.

A-. (For the memorable plane crash and Denzel made the movie for me. One of his best recent role. Even if Kelly Reilly is kind of a plot device that kinda disappeared halfway, she's so cute. :wub: )

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I thought this was noteworthy, because what you have here is a character study with no character development.

If that sounds like an oxymoron and the recipe for a bad film, you'd be correct.  All you have here is basically a stranger who flies planes, drinks a lot, does coke occasionally, and has been through a divorce with a son.  If anyone got anything else from this film or character, feel free to clue me in.  

Best I can say is it's a decent to passable by performance by Denzel (LOL @ BA nom), and the "enlightenment" at the end is more comical than dramatic.

C+/C

• Like 1