25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I was thoroughly disappointed. This is a film that is billed as a plane crash movie with a bit of a possible conspiracy involved. The premise makes it look like it has a moral dilemma to it. But instead of exploring that moral dilemma, the movie just keeps hammering you over the head with the main characters drinking problem. This is a film about alcoholism and dependency. The trailers will disguise it as something else and it will give you a very shiny package to aid in that deception, but once you open the box, there is no more disguising what is really in there. Denzel plays Whip Whitaker, who, the days before and the day of his flight, drinks hard liquor and snorts cocaine to "even himself out". He didn't sleep nary a wink the night before the flight as he was partying with the flight attendant, which included all night sex and the aforementioned drugs and liquor. As he gets on the plane, about 30 minutes into the flight, all hell breaks loose as a faulty and damaged wingnut or something of that nature, comes loose and causes the plane to dive. Whip inverts the plane which prevents the nose dive and then brings it in on a glide and in the process saves 96 of 102 people on board. The rest of the movie is him getting drunk and berating anyone and everyone who tries to help him. His best friend helps him get a Chicago lawyer who is good a finding technicalities to make the charges go away against him. What betrays the film is the screenplay by John Gatins. What should have been a film, imo, that explores the moral dilemma between a flawed man and his drinking problem vs the good he did in saving almost 100 people, turns into a film about alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol and God. There is a very weird "God's will" theme in this film. It shows up everywhere from a cancer patient to a co-pilot and his wife, to a crash site being in a church field to the alcohol anonymous meetings they go to. It really felt out of place and forced in many places. The end of the film you could see coming and that is fine. We all know how films like this end. But again, there's a missed opportunity to explore the moral dilemma here. Yes, he flew a plane intoxicated, yes that is wrong, but his innebriation had nothing to do with the plane breaking apart. He alcoholism had nothing to do with a faulty plane part causing the vessel to nosedive at 30,000 feet. And none of this is really spoken about or really even mentioned. Instead, the film is content with showing Whip drinking beer, slurring his words, drinking Grey Goose, snorting coke and making a train wreck of a life an even bigger train wreck of a life.I kept waiting for the film to explore some of these issues. I kept waiting for something to get better. And it never did. It took the easy way out and gave us a Hollywood ending. And for that it really disappointed me because there was as great movie in here waiting to be made.6/10

• Like 4

Flight is the story of an aircraft pilot, Whip Whitaker, (Denzel Washington) who pulls of an improbable maneuver to land a plane after encountering problems in flight but fins that he has more problems on the ground then in the air.Firstly, Flight might promise one ride, but brings you along for another. Almost disturbingly so. What got you in the theaters was Denzel navigating his way through a crisis. But instead, almost sneeringly, shoehorned in between one of the best flight sequences outside of United 93, is an introduction to a shapely woman struggling with cocaine and her abusive building manager. Right off the gate it's an unsteady start.But that does not cover the entirety of the issues I have with the film. The film is as subtle as a plane crash. Like if you missed anything Whip might say in one scene, just wait 5 minutes. He'll repeat himself. Or you know about god and religion? Well this film makes absolutely sure that you know god had played a part in this equation because not only is there a random cancer patient who smokes there to tel l you but the plane also crashes into a church. And if that is not enough, the most cringeworthy in the entire film occurs because of god. I don't know if god was taking that scene serious or not. And don't worry, plane crashes are covered under the Act of God clause! So you too can get off scot free for driving drunk. It is also kind of funny that is the last time we see the co-pilot as well.Stephen Daldry would be proud of how emotionally manipulative this film is. From close up of tears. Dropping a father-son bond with little to no set up as the credits roll. To using music to tell you how to feel when Whip takes a drink.This film tries to be grounded by having a female facing addiction alongside the unlikeable Whip Whitaker. But it doesn't really work because Whip treats her like garbage. And as the story progresses further and further into the abyss of ineptitude, her presence is less and less. In her stead the Whip gets surrounded by enablers which drive the story about as low and ridiculous as it can go.Denzel Washington's performance is pretty solid and the only thing in this film worth seeing. Is it his best? That is a good question. It is not as explosive as his other roles but there are some small tender moments of vulnerability that Denzel the Movie Star does not always show on films. I don't think he is lock or a frontrunner for a nom but is defintely in the conversation.All in all, I found Flight showed the rust of s filmmaker who had not made a live action feature film in a while. Denzel has a great performance but it is not enough to carry it past the film with plenty of rough edges.I give it a C+

• Like 3

I liked alot of the parts of the film, but the sum did not add up to a great whole. The opening plane crash could have been one of the better scenes of the year- but the constant cutaways to Kelly Reilly's character killed it. All of the scenes with Denzel talking alot were great- but they barely gave him many lines. Greenwood, Cheadle, and especially Goodman (who I found Oscar worthy) were all absolutely excellent, but their screen time was limited in comparison to constant scenes of Denzel idly throwing down booze. Overall, I thought that Denzel was so engaging and watchable that he is worth seeing the film for alone. And the three male co stars bring alot to it too. But the film is just as chunky and ham fisted as it gets.

• Like 1

I'm even a little surprised that Denzel is getting so much praise. He is good in this but not his best performance in years. I don't get it.I think WOM will be strong. It is a film for older people so I think the target audience will enjoy it. I know two other (aged) 30+ people who have seen it and liked it much more than I do.

Edited by Halloween baumer

I'm even a little surprised that Denzel is getting so much praise. He is good in this but not his best performance in years. I don't get it.I think WOM will be strong. It is a film for older people so I think the target audience will enjoy it. I know two other (aged) 30+ people who have seen it and liked it much more than I do.

Yeah, there really isn't one scene with him that I could look back and say wow! that blew me away.
  • Like 2

I would give it a B? Maybe B-. Whip is such an unlikable character that it's hard for the film to really connect, and the turnaround just isn't earned at the end. That said, Denzel gives a strong performance as usual. It's less showy than what he's usually known for, but it was still a very good/great performance. For as much of an asshole he is, the fact that Denzel's character earned some bit of respect from me says something about his performance I feel. Sometimes I'd feel bad, sometimes I'd be impressed by his confidence, and then of course, anger when he was being a complete idiot.The first 30 minutes were pretty terrific too. The flight sequence was very well done.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively tepid reception this movie has received here. I thought it was fantastic; from Filmgasm:

As I expected from the ad campaign, Flight is very compelling stuff; however, what I did not expect was for the film to compel in ways that were only hinted at in the previews. As a lengthy, dark, and mostly uncompromising study of alcoholism, this isn't a fun movie, but it is arresting in its power. The greatest strength of the script is that it does not try to downplay the negative aspects of its protagonist's addiction, yet it still humanizes him to the point where the audience can maintain a rooting interest in him getting better. Much of the film's success as a finished product is owed to the performance from Denzel Washington, who gives one of the best and most fully committed performances of his career. Keeping in line with the message of the script - that he has made bad decisions, but is not completely beyond redemption - Washington portrays the negative qualities of "Whip" Whitaker without displaying judgment of the character and without softening his behavior, yet still imbues Whip with enough charm and grace in some scenes that the audience can care about him and see him as a person rather than a disease. It's a difficult line to walk, but Washington pulls it off. While the film is mostly a showcase for Washington, he's ably supported with strong work from Kelly Reilly (who acts as a good foil for him in the love interest role), Don Cheadle, Bruce Greenwood, and John Goodman (whose seemingly comedic role has a much darker undercurrent considering that he seems to see no problem with enabling Whip's addiction). The drama crackles so well that the 139-minute running time goes by relatively quickly despite being so intensely character-driven. And just as Robert Zemeckis has not lost his ability to work with actors in live action settings, he has also not lost a step in directing awe-inspiring set pieces. The emergency landing that occurs in the first act is so tense and so masterfully done that the label "armrest gripper" is apt. This is one of the bravest and most compelling movies of the year to date, and worth experiencing despite the thematic darkness in which it dwells.

A-

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively tepid reception this movie has received here. I thought it was fantastic; from Filmgasm:

As I expected from the ad campaign, Flight is very compelling stuff; however, what I did not expect was for the film to compel in ways that were only hinted at in the previews. As a lengthy, dark, and mostly uncompromising study of alcoholism, this isn't a fun movie, but it is arresting in its power. The greatest strength of the script is that it does not try to downplay the negative aspects of its protagonist's addiction, yet it still humanizes him to the point where the audience can maintain a rooting interest in him getting better. Much of the film's success as a finished product is owed to the performance from Denzel Washington, who gives one of the best and most fully committed performances of his career. Keeping in line with the message of the script - that he has made bad decisions, but is not completely beyond redemption - Washington portrays the negative qualities of "Whip" Whitaker without displaying judgment of the character and without softening his behavior, yet still imbues Whip with enough charm and grace in some scenes that the audience can care about him and see him as a person rather than a disease. It's a difficult line to walk, but Washington pulls it off. While the film is mostly a showcase for Washington, he's ably supported with strong work from Kelly Reilly (who acts as a good foil for him in the love interest role), Don Cheadle, Bruce Greenwood, and John Goodman (whose seemingly comedic role has a much darker undercurrent considering that he seems to see no problem with enabling Whip's addiction). The drama crackles so well that the 139-minute running time goes by relatively quickly despite being so intensely character-driven. And just as Robert Zemeckis has not lost his ability to work with actors in live action settings, he has also not lost a step in directing awe-inspiring set pieces. The emergency landing that occurs in the first act is so tense and so masterfully done that the label "armrest gripper" is apt. This is one of the bravest and most compelling movies of the year to date, and worth experiencing despite the thematic darkness in which it dwells.

A-

I agree with a lot of your review, but it just didn't quite come completely together for me. The ending felt predictable coming from Zemeckis, and its attempts to wring out emotions from you became tiresome at times. Spot on analysis of Denzel though.

PRAISE JESUS

• Like 1

The script has no layers. Nothing is in Flight. It's about a sad sack who has really no character development until the last 10 minutes. There's no pacing- things just happen and keep happening. There's no tone- are we supposed to laugh at this guy's drinking or moan about it? It keeps us just guessing until that big AWWW ending where Whip finds love and true happiness! It wasn't the ending this character or this movie deserved.

I probably shouldn't hate it as much as I did because Denzel was entertaining and it kept my attention for an obnoxious runtime of 138 minutes. And that crash scene was riveting- I'll admit my mouth was open for most of it. But the majority of the film is a huge misfire. Big disappointment.

i gave it an B but a very tepid one, mostly for great first 10-15mn where we see denzel in hs room and flight scene till crashdenzel was good in this , cheadle too actually any scene that had specifically to do with the plane crash investigation was well done!agree his ex-wife what a sham, and the son , i had a hard time believing his attitude, or maybe it was just the actor's acting, but this kid isnt poor isnt living in an unhealthy environment he came off pretty childish and then the soap opery turn around in the jail yardmaybe that's the film they should have shown what happens after he confesses to the aviation board inquisition, i really didnt like how they were hell bent on putting the blame on him so they could have a face instead of a faulty part! apart from his pilot friend i never felt any kind of support from the airline estblishment and ntsb people but maybe expecting that from them is misguided

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Kind of liked the first 30 min ish, in which I actually got a Forrest Gump vibe (syringe totally reminded me of my favorite scene). Then it was just really slow and with the drinking I just sat there like, "Please go to jail. For a long time. To rot there. And die there."

Finally watched Flight and shit, this was a really good movie! I mean, it has a slow pace, but its certainly never boring.

Its just overall very professional, good filmmaking from Robert Zemeckis, whom I'm glad to see doing live action again.

Everyone is raving about Denzel Washington. For a good reason, he is great In this movie. You know when you see a really good performance, and you forget you're watching an actor? That happened here; I forgot that I was watching Denzel Washington.

Its a compelling performance, and he plays a very flawed character who never gets completely likable, but you still feel his struggle and troubles.

One of the years best movies, this.

4/5

• Like 2