Tower

Weekend estimates (11-02/04-12)(starting pg 15)

Will Smith only does massive tentpoles. Put Denzel in one of them and after that we talk.

Well maybe studios don't put him in "massive" tentpoles because it wouldn't work? Smith has had THIRTEEN 100 M films from action films and a romcom to sci-fi movies and dramas. Washington? FOUR. Not one even made more than 131 M. I'm not bashing, just laying out facts because I think Washington is a great actor. Looking forward to his two movies: 2 GUNS and THE EQUALIZER.

Someone said he was consistent. True. Only consistent to what he does, drama. And that's not a bad thing. But Smith doing different genres and producing big numbers is what true draw and consistency means.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Someone said he was consistent. True. Only consistent to what he does, drama. And that's not a bad thing. But Smith doing different genres and producing big numbers is what true draw and consistency means.

Except he's neither truly consistent or a draw. No one is a box office draw in the traditional sense like Liz Taylor would've been or the other stars of the Golden Age. And he's far from consistent, he's a very good actor, but not consistent. The only person that works in Hollywood that I can say has never given a bad performance is Streep, but she's a legend and Smith despite what he's done is just Smith and doesn't hold a candle up to Streep.

Yeah that is why he was nominated for Best Actor in ALI and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS. Not very good.

You evidently have no idea how the Oscars work. People get nominated for shit all the fucking time. There's really been no set of acting nominees that don't have at least one shit performance in a long time.

You evidently have no idea how the Oscars work. People get nominated for shit all the fucking time. There's really been no set of acting nominees that don't have at least one shit performance in a long time.

so all the people who praised his performances in those movies were all lying? OK

Except he's neither truly consistent or a draw. No one is a box office draw in the traditional sense like Liz Taylor would've been or the other stars of the Golden Age. And he's far from consistent, he's a very good actor, but not consistent.The only person that works in Hollywood that I can say has never given a bad performance is Streep, but she's a legend and Smith despite what he's done is just Smith and doesn't hold a candle up to Streep.

Lol, now we are comparing him to Streep?We are talking about box office here. Smith has had THIRTEEN 100 M films, NINE of those are above 160 M. He also has TEN 300 M films worldwide, five of which made more than 585 M. Definitely not a draw. lol Edited by kayumanggi

so all the people who praised his performances in those movies were all lying? OK

Personally, I didn't like, actually more accurately I hated both of those roles. What I mean is that you can't show anyone an Oscar list, and not have someone say, "What? How is that shit nominated?" It'll be different turds for each person but there almost always will be one. It's all highly subjective of course, obviously though, I mean it's the Oscars duh. ;)

And you do. Ha ha!

We are talking about box office here. Smith has had THIRTEEN 100 M films, NINE of those are above 160 M. He also has TEN 300 M films worldwide, five of which made more than 585 M. Definitely not a draw. lol

And how many of them were guaranteed to be BO hits, regardless of his involvement? Movies like Independence Day would've been big grosses regardless. A draw is someone who can open a film of any genre, quality, and scope to a respectable, and relatively high (for what type of film it is). Those stars don't happen anymore, don't pretend Smith is one of them.

And you do. Ha ha!

I have a decent grasp, I know what I'm saying when I'm talking about votes, and numbers when it comes to the Oscars. Edited by riczhang