Tower

Weekend estimates (11-02/04-12)(starting pg 15)

1. Wreck-It Ralph 3D (Disney) NEW [Runs 3,752] PG

Friday $13.5M, Weekend $50.0M

2. Flight (Paramount) NEW [Runs 1,900] R

Friday $8.0M, Weekend $23M

3. Argo (Warner Bros) Week 4 [Runs 2,774] R

Friday $2.8M, Weekend $8.9M, Cume $75.0M

Posted Image

Sometimes we all think we are so smart hete on these forums. we all laughed at Paramount for putting Flight in such a low theatre count. We said they were stupid and so on. Turns out they knew something we didnt. Flights gross will make headlines now and the WOM is going to be very solid. Because of wom abd a high theater average it should now expand into more theaters next weekend. It looks like this kind of release is going to pay off for them co.ngratulations Paramount

• Like 1

Sometimes we all think we are so smart hete on these forums. we all laughed at Paramount for putting Flight in such a low theatre count. We said they were stupid and so on. Turns out they knew something we didnt. Flights gross will make headlines now and the WOM is going to be very solid. Because of wom abd a high theater average it should now expand into more theaters next weekend. It looks like this kind of release is going to pay off for them co.ngratulations Paramount

Or maybe they were just taking the risk to release it in low theater count and hope for good WoM? I tell you, this was a lucky shot. They didn't know for sure if this would suceed
  • Like 1

It shows they had confidence in it though. They created demand for it and like Argo this is a very adult themed movie that will rely on wom to get butts in the seats. They took an old school approach to releasing it and it worked.

I disagree, If they wanted to build up and they knew WOM would be great, they would have released it in a much lower count.1,900 seems to me that they weren't sure if it was A) Good enough to rely solely on WOM and expand throughout the season and B) They didn't think it would do well enough for 3,000 release.I think it was possible damage limitation, but now it's paid off.1,900 never screams confidence. 190 would have.

• Like 2

I disagree, If they wanted to build up and they knew WOM would be great, they would have released it in a much lower count.1,900 seems to me that they weren't sure if it was A) Good enough to rely solely on WOM and expand throughout the season and B) They didn't think it would do well enough for 3,000 release.I think it was possible damage limitation, but now it's paid off.1,900 never screams confidence. 190 would have.

I agree.

What I got out of that theater count was that Paramount wasn't sure if there'd be a demand. To put it more bluntly, I thought they were ready to dump it - just like WB dumped Cloud Atlas. I highly doubt Flight's PTA would have been worse in 2500 theaters, so why didn't Paramount go for that?

• Like 1

What I got out of that theater count was that Paramount wasn't sure if there'd be a demand. To put it more bluntly, I thought they were ready to dump it - just like WB dumped Cloud Atlas. I highly doubt Flight's PTA would have been worse in 2500 theaters, so why didn't Paramount go for that?

Exactly.