A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I read that Johnny Depp will be doing some major PR for Transcendence. Can this make Transcendence a 50-60M earner in China?

He already did.

But I don't think Transcendence will be a big hit.

i think even with lower presales it will open higher and have better legs. Plus competition is weak and so it will have a good run. How about something like 35m OW40M (mon - sun week)15M10M rest of the run ~ 100M

I like your thinking :)

Presales dont matter much. I would be very surprised if it opens lower than DoS.

i think even with lower presales it will open higher and have better legs. Plus competition is weak and so it will have a good run. How about something like

35m OW

40M (mon - sun week)

15M

10M rest of the run

~ 100M 

Last three numbers all seems too high, especially "10m".

I read that Johnny Depp will be doing some major PR for Transcendence. Can this make Transcendence a 50-60M earner in China?

Well, that didn't go well: various media outlets here (including CCTV, Hunan TV, and Sina.com) are claiming events and interviews they had set up through DMG (the Iron Man 3 people, who are releasing Transcendence here) were canceled at the last minute. Probably the most significant from a PR perspective was a fan meet-and-greet with a bunch of fans already gathered at the venue. Supposedly DMG never informed Depp's camp about these "commitments." There are also claims that DMG swiped some of the ideas for the canceled events, like a guitar performance and a calligraphy "lesson." On top of that people had trouble understanding Depp at the Q&A because of translation and equipment problems. Lots of angry microbloggers and critical news coverage out there. There may be more to the story, but this is how it's being presented at the moment. The good news is that few people blame Depp himself, but the bad news is that his film's Chinese distributor is being flayed alive and Depp's first visit to China is basically a PR debacle.