A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

KATCH 22...  when will you be KATCH 23... :P

Never.. I have no reason to change it. ;)

If Ex3 really only does 50 mill in China, that's another market it got killed in due to the leak.

The leak killed it's gross EVERYWHERE. People who've been trying to convince us that the movie would have done this poorly without the leak were either the haters or in denial. No matters how much it's going to make in China it'd still come out underperformed compare to it's true potential.

I'm glad that Apes2 and HTTYD2 both are doing very well in China. Are people still keen to talk about how the China market screwing up the WW numbers? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

From THR:

Glad to see Chinese people still care for quality films.

They always do. They love good movies and also enjoy the bad ones sometimes just like the rest of the whole damn world. Let's not pretend our countries have a better taste. It's getting annoying. I bet a lot of crap movies did well in our countries too.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 1

In China, Need for Speed grossed as much as HTTYD2 will end up with. It's kind of like how the same U.S. moviegoers that made The Dark Knight a mega-blockbuster also made Transformers 2 a smash a year later. It happens. Some people just want to enjoy a movie, and will get as much pleasure out of something we here love, as something we here hate.

• Like 1

I am delighted and ecstasized by the announcement that HTTYD3 has been moved from its initial date of June 17, 2016 - the same date as Finding Dory - to June 9, 2017. Now it is positioned to open one week ahead of an untitled Pixar film, which is a pretty grim fate already. Finding Dory on the other hand will open in a market asking crazily for a decent animated film. From March 17 to June 17, 2016, other animated films that will open are Boss Baby (DreamWorks), Clifford the Red Dog (oh, puh-lease) and Sausage Party (ridicule to the power of ridicule). However, the post-release competition is still pretty tough: Angry Birds, The BFG, Ice Age 5 and other family/adventure films like Tarzan, King Arthur, Marvel Untitled. Although the recession of HTTYD3 is good news, I still think Finding Dory would be better off if released around Memorial Day 2016 (e.g. one week before or after). But currently, I'm just enjoying how Disney won a competition for yet another important release date in 2016 (the other one was the Cap 3/Bat vs Sup fight). Hail Disney!

Edited by Quigley

I am delighted and ecstasized by the announcement that HTTYD3 has been moved from its initial date of June 17, 2016 - the same date as Finding Dory - to June 9, 2017. Now it is positioned to open one week ahead of an untitled Pixar film, which is a pretty grim fate already. Finding Dory on the other hand will open in a market asking crazily for a decent animated film. From March 17 to June 17, 2016, other animated films that will open are Boss Baby (DreamWorks), Clifford the Red Dog (oh, puh-lease) and Sausage Party (ridicule to the power of ridicule). However, the post-release competition is still pretty tough: Angry Birds, The BFG, Ice Age 5 and other family/adventure films like Tarzan, King Arthur, Marvel Untitled. Although the recession of HTTYD3 is good news, I still think Finding Dory would be better off if released around Memorial Day 2016 (e.g. one week before or after). But currently, I'm just enjoying how Disney won a competition for yet another important release date in 2016 (the other one was the Cap 3/Bat vs Sup fight). Hail Disney!

Aehm, not sure if you are aware about having posted this in the China thread.... :thinking: