A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Inside out making less then Antman is a shame.

I love Inside Out. It is the film of the year until now. But I think Ant-Man is a quite good film. I think it is more shameful that Minions is a 400% higher than IO in China (and quite higher in many other countries). I see that detail quite more worrying. Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

Minions' success isn't really surprising. It's a sequel to a popular animated franchise. IO is an original film, and those don't usually have the same huge fanbase. That being said, IO's performance both domestic and worldwide is amazing and better than what many people predicted. 

• Like 1

With such grosses it's no wonder we keep getting sequel after sequel. If 'The Lion King' were to be released today it would probably perform averagely compared to 'Minions 2' or 'Toy Story 4'. It's my impression that crowds have gotten increasingly risk averse when it comes to cinema going.

1994 top 5 : The Lion King, Forrest Gump, True Lies, The Mask and Speed.

2015 top 5 : Jurassic World, Furious 7, Age of Ultron, Minions and Inside Out (with SWVII likely pushing it out).

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

With such grosses it's no wonder we keep getting sequel after sequel. If 'The Lion King' were to be released today it would probably perform averagely compared to 'Minions 2' or 'Toy Story 4'. It's my impression that crowds have gotten increasingly risk averse when it comes to cinema going.

1994 top 5 : The Lion King, Forrest Gump, True Lies, The Mask and Speed.

2015 top 5 : Jurassic World, Furious 7, Age of Ultron, Minions and Inside Out (with SWVII likely pushing it out).

There are more franchises now doing better longer but franchises and sequels dominating isn't new

Look at top WW 8 in 1989 - 4 sequels and 3 the three others would spawn sequels

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  2. Batman
  3. Back to the Future Part II
  4. Look Who's Talking
  5. Dead Poets Society
  6. Lethal Weapon 2
  7. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  8. Ghostbusters II

There are more franchises now doing better longer but franchises and sequels dominating isn't new

Look at top WW 8 in 1989 - 4 sequels and 3 the three others would spawn sequels

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  2. Batman
  3. Back to the Future Part II
  4. Look Who's Talking
  5. Dead Poets Society
  6. Lethal Weapon 2
  7. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  8. Ghostbusters II

That's still only 2 sequels in the top 5 vs 5 of 5 this year. No guarantee batman would be a franchise, Dick tracy bombed back then and had no sequel

10 years before they were virtually non existent in the top ten(Bond was about it) then Rocky, SW, SM and Indiana started having success. Sequels are sure fire money now with brand building OS and WW BO almost assuredly increasing.

One interesting point in domestic though, There have been 12 entries into the top 25 all time adjusted in the last 40 years(since sequels got going) that were original. Only 2 sequels made it in., SW2 and 4. They of course are going for the easy money and audiences like familiarity but its a shame we will see less originality that will amaze us, WOM set on fire and a huge lengthy run happening. If Spielberg just focused on Jaws and Close Encounters sequels for 20 years, then he wouldn't have done Indiana, ET, JP and great dramas like The Color Purple and Schindlers List.

If it gets 300M OW, it has a shot at beating MI5.

300m should beget 750-800m, close enough that its possible w a little leg

Is that a good hold for GML?

last Saturday was a workday. compared to sunday it will be a 45% drop. much better than average but I was looking for a stronger hold(35-38% like MH) based on the way it performed last week. Tomorrow w/o/w will probably be -50% This hits a lot more demos than AM. I didn't think it would get affected that much but it was dropped to 21% of shows from 38%. Itll probably hold better in the days ahead as it picks up shows again. I still think it has LiHK beat but it could be close if it loses more steam.

• Like 1

I love Inside Out. It is the film of the year until now. But I think Ant-Man is a quite good film. I think it is more shameful that Minions is a 400% higher than IO in China (and quite higher in many other countries). I see that detail quite more worrying.

inside out is not a type for Chinese family audience.it is lower than most foriegn animats,not just minions.The little prince might over inside out,too.don't think io need to compare minions in China.Nothing to worry.

Edited by bangbingchan

With that kind of competition, do you really think 750M yuan is possible? Is the WOM that good?

at best 600~700M maybe

Early Nov and Late Nov competition is much harder.Disney always has the best release date in China.AuO,IO,AM,even Cinderalla,bh6 is not bad.And don't know Chinese audience can eat up Sam Mendes dark side of Bond.Skyfall only gross 370M

Edited by bangbingchan

inside out is not a type for Chinese family audience.it is lower than most foriegn animats,not just minions.The little prince might over inside out,too.don't think io need to compare minions in China.Nothing to worry.

I know it. I meant that Minions has been bigger than IO in many markets, not just China. That is what worries me. Edited by peludo