A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

55 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Netflix just try to build their encyclopaedia irrespective of it's local success or failure while others think about profit/loss

There are a lot a lot more Chinese films that were better quality, had more attention and were cheaper..

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Sorry missed this one. Lots and lots of flops each year. Both local and overseas films.

The most high profile flop in my opinion this year is Dynasty Warriors, lol. It has a star studded cast, many familiar faces.. huge budget but within days of being released - because of the Low box office, they released it on streaming sites.

Netflix was silly to buy the overseas rights thinking there is an audience for this; one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

The best flop was probably Asur. Biggest chinese film, and got removed in a day or two IIRC. They were supposed to re-release it. What happened?

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The best flop was probably Asur. Biggest chinese film, and got removed in a day or two IIRC. They were supposed to re-release it. What happened?

Which distributor will want to put in money to re-market the film? Which cinemas would want to show it and have Low PTA? Haha.

Every more cent spent is another cent wasted.

sometimes saying that a film is removed to be “re-released” another date is just an ego-talk.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

There are a lot a lot more Chinese films that were better quality, had more attention and were cheaper..

Can you recommend me some? I have not watch other than Hi Mom, Wolf Warrior 2, Raging Fire on December, Wandering Earth & Detective Chinatown Trilogy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Can you recommend me some? I have not watch other than Hi Mom, Wolf Warrior 2, Raging Fire on December, Wandering Earth & Detective Chinatown Trilogy.

Film so beautiful that Tarantino personally vouched for it to be released in America.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Woo. Not bad. You have seen some of the Good Ones.

Raging Fire is the best movie from China this year i feel - very very entertaining and incredible acting and action.

In terms of classics, there are too many! But I would recommend:

Martial Arts: Hero, Ip Man 1 & 2, Iron Monkey, Shaolin Soccer

Mythology (with comedic elements): A Chinese Odyssey part 1 & 2, Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, Mermaid

Comedy:  Lost in Thailand, Hello Mr Billionaire

Police / Traid Films: Infernal Affairs, Chasing the Dragon, Shockwave.

Of course there are many other good films but these are some of my favourites.

Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen, Andy Lau, Jet Li films, you usually never go wrong.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Sorry missed this one. Lots and lots of flops each year. Both local and overseas films.

The most high profile flop in my opinion this year is Dynasty Warriors, lol. It has a star studded cast, many familiar faces.. huge budget but within days of being released - because of the Low box office, they released it on streaming sites.

Netflix was silly to buy the overseas rights thinking there is an audience for this; one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Dynasty Warriors has huge name recognition globally due to the Sega games (I think there's 10 now). Netflix grabbing that seems like a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

This is another "classic". "The Emperor and the Assasin" (荊軻刺秦王), by Director Chen Kaige and starring Gong Li. A more brutal and less romanticized retelling of the assassination attempt on the would be first emperor of Qin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaU6ziWKD8

Edited by Shaolian
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

TBALC will be more like ¥5590M+ might miss ¥5600M but after Sunday, drops will be very awkward. Mon-Thurs like ¥20M-¥25M while ¥5650M+ should be festive by next Sunday. BTW, when will we pass Wolf Warrior 2 (¥5689M) Only Mon drops can answer.

Tomorrow, NTTD should add another $3M. Starting From Mon-Thurs, another $5M, Cumulative until Thrus : ~$54M. By next Sunday, it should be over $58M-$60M. 

Dune drops are interesting, Jungle Cruise might displaced Dune from Fri (OD). Tomorrow, another $600K-$700K for Dune, Mon-Thurs be like another $1M-$2M. Might miss $40M but should be above $37M-$38M before Friday, so that cumulative total by the end of this Sun will approach near $40M.

ありがとうございました

The Battle At Lake Changjin Overseas Release Strategy:

North America : decided (no dates so far)

Europe : decided (1st UK from Nov 19)

Australia &New Zealand decided (no dates so far)

Asia : decided

→ Singapore : Nov 11

→ Hong Kong &Macau : Nov 11

Rest : ?

Edited by Issac Newton

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Dynasty Warriors has huge name recognition globally due to the Sega games (I think there's 10 now). Netflix grabbing that seems like a no brainer. 

Yes but i thought Netflix would do some further due dilligence.

The games, while based on Chinese Novel - The Romance of Three Kingdoms, was produced in Japan. Japan might have done the film better? At least in terms of CGI.

Netflix didn't dilligence the talent involved in the film; director and action team was medicore, and the actors chosen for the key roles almost all did not fit their roles and also had no martial arts background.

I mean such China / HK production usually see interests from only a handful of countries (where we usually see cinematic distributions) including Southeast Asia, AUS / NZ. Am not even sure the film hit viewership targets in these countries. But Netflix is rich so i think they just want to add another title in their library.

Try watching the film.. it is really absurd and the acting made it look like comedy. Haha

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yes but i thought Netflix would do some further due dilligence.

The games, while based on Chinese Novel - The Romance of Three Kingdoms, was produced in Japan. Japan might have done the film better? At least in terms of CGI.

Netflix didn't dilligence the talent involved in the film; director and action team was medicore, and the actors chosen for the key roles almost all did not fit their roles and also had no martial arts background.

I mean such China / HK production usually see interests from only a handful of countries (where we usually see cinematic distributions) including Southeast Asia, AUS / NZ. Am not even sure the film hit viewership targets in these countries. But Netflix is rich so i think they just want to add another title in their library.

Try watching the film.. it is really absurd and the acting made it look like comedy. Haha

Since when has Netflix ever been a badge of quality though? 

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Since when has Netflix ever been a badge of quality though? 

Netflix doesn't check quality, just increase quantity, buy flop shows (like Money Heist in $1), low production cost but Global hit (e.g. Squid Game : P.B. $21.4M, Income ~$1000M)

Flop shows at local, reach global success via Netflix. Lewd shows/movie like 356 Days top Monthly charts while classic remain un-noticed.

Netflix almost everything other than p*** What else do you all want by the way?

• Haha 2

Sunday Estimates:

007 No Time To Die : ¥24M (~$3.7M) / ¥315M (~$49.2M) 10D

The Battle At Lake Changjin : ¥17.5M (~$2.7M) / ¥5595M (~$874.4M) 39D

The Curious Tale of Mr.Guo : ¥6.5M (~$1M) / ¥23.4M (~$3.7M) 3D

The Legend of Sealed Book : ¥5.3M (~$830K) / ¥15M (~$2.3M) 3D 

Dune : ¥5M (~$780K) / ¥236M (~$36.9M) 17D 

Unplaced Numbers (Total):

Snake Eyes : ¥9.5M (~$1.5M) 🆕

My Parents, My Homeland : ¥1466M (~$229.1M)

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1