A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

The hype Reuters quoted probably was more about Lu Shan (SW7's brand spokeperson in China) rather than SW7....

The SW7 spot at my screening got no reaction, when every CNY local releases got varing degrees of reactions. Macao 3, Huoguo Hero trailers got the best reactions.

Edited by firedeep

Detective Chinatown was so .... good, best comedy of 2015. And my best cinema experience in 2015.... although many others will dislike it. But the movie deserves 1B+++... although it may not get that I am afraid ... it was so enjoyable IMO. The only problem it has is the protagonists performence. Such great comic gags and story ideas.

Edited by firedeep

Yeah, feel similarly about TFA's potential reception here. The bullish predictions I've read are citing the success of JW and FF7 before it. But the latter had some precedence in JP doing very well upon its re-release and the fast franchise already establishing itself here (especially with Paul Walker's passing). Chinese are quite indifferent to Star War as a whole (speaking as a Chinese). And the only seeming thing going for it is the extraordinary hype being generated by its breaking of records.

34 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Detective Chinatown was so .... good, best comedy of 2015. And my best cinema experience in 2015.... although many others will dislike it. But the movie deserves 1B+++... although it may not get that I am afraid ... it was so enjoyable IMO. The only problem it has is the protagonists performence. Such great comic gags and story ideas.

Chen Sicheng expected it to pass LiT since its first press conference day. I'm not surprised if It can do it. It has previews today. How about its WOM? Base on ur reaction, WOM should be good. Btw, I'm serious about Little Door Gods. I hope it can do well too. 

12 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

Chen Sicheng expected it to pass LiT since its first press conference day. I'm not surprised if It can do it. It has previews today. How about its WOM? Base on ur reaction, WOM should be good. Btw, I'm serious about Little Door Gods. I hope it can do well too. 

WOM on DC seems better than JBM, LiHK but not as good as GML. I didnt expect Chen Sicheng to be so talented. DC is a great mix of buddy comedy and mystery, with a heavy live action Detective Conan vibe, exactly my type of movie...IMO it's much more thought through than GML.

it looks LDG failed to live up to expectations. Le Vision is a terrible distributor ... 

Edited by firedeep

16 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Saturday Estimates:
Devil and Angel- 125M/423M
Mojin - 106M/1120M
Mr. Six - 68.1M/184.5M

Detective Chinatown - 12.6M/13.2M  previews

Little Door Gods - 4.96M previews
Surprise - 3.0M/315M

D&A 's doing great despite its bad quality. Deng Chao & Sun Li a super popular. 

How far Mojin can fly? 

Just to comment about KFP3.....those local movies better not take away the "interest" from KFP3. :angry:

Everytime a new big local comes out.....that's the one people are about more. And it dampers the interest quickly than you can say...."Gone in a week". :blink:

I know one or two locals could take away a small chunk of KFP's screens.....but interest should stay for "Panda".

The internet hype around SW7 and the hits they're speaking of are because of Luhan's fans who spam the comments and repost the SW7/Luhan posts again and again. If you're familiar with Weibo, this is a common thing that happens with popular young actors with fanbases.. their fans often spam and repost all over the place to prove their favorites are popular, that rarely translates to interest from the general public which is what SW7 actually needs.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Just to comment about KFP3.....those local movies better not take away the "interest" from KFP3. :angry:

Everytime a new big local comes out.....that's the one people are about more. And it dampers the interest quickly than you can say...."Gone in a week". :blink:

I know one or two locals could take away a small chunk of KFP's screens.....but interest should stay for "Panda".

But KFP3 itself is a local movie in China ... :P

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

D&A 's doing great despite its bad quality. Deng Chao & Sun Li a super popular. 

How far Mojin can fly? 

Deng Chao & Sun Li are currently the most bankable celebrity couple in China ... D&A is considered the worst reviewed big movie in 2015 but still doing 600m+. Imagine it had GML WOM ... 

Mo Jin looks to set around 1.7B I think.

Everyone is pinning their hopes on China's film market to help Star Wars: TFA outgross Avatar worldwide. It's practically impossible, with its current markets, it would likely finish a little below Titanic. Do people expect $500-600 million from China to overtake Avatar? Highly unlikely, Chinese films are giving serious competition to foreign films and are taking a larger share of the market. 2-3 years ago that wasn't the case, but now it's different.