A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Wow, this is incredible! All this past week its performance was pretty mind blowing and yet this weekend very clearly outperformed expectations. That estimates puts this up for around 60m. 60m second weekend! First mermaid, and the other new year's stuff, and now this. The market is so booming!

Now I really hope Revenant comes close to 400m yuan. That'd be so awesome and its not entirely dreamy considering the Leo 'n Oscar hype. That would also take this past 500m$ WW.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Wow, this is incredible! All this past week its performance was pretty mind blowing and yet this weekend very clearly outperformed expectations. That estimates puts this up for around 60m. 60m second weekend! First mermaid, and the other new year's stuff, and now this. The market is so booming!

Now I really hope Revenant comes close to 400m yuan. That'd be so awesome and its not entirely dreamy considering the Leo 'n Oscar hype. That would also take this past 500m$ WW.

I think Revenant should easily clear 400m yuan. Its presale is very very good, looking at a 70m+ OD.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

So Sat came in under 170m, not 200m due to the lack of showtimes. more like a 400m ($62m) weekend, now.

1.5B should happen but 2B is too much to think about.

So it should win the year for Disney in China?

This is a booming Spring, especially for imports. Jungle Book appears to be another $80m~$100m-plus performer. BVS could cross 1B. 

Disney should win 2016 among all studios: ZOO 1.5B, JB 600M, CW 2B, Alice 700m, FD 400M, DS 900M, possibly a huge 6B year for them. 

The more I think about it, the more I feel 2016 is not a weak year for Hollywood in China at all. Sure, there is probably no standalone super blockbusters like TF4 or FF7 but a dozen of HLW semi-blockbusters could all make runs for 1B , adding in one or two unexpected huge hits like ZOO.

Local blockbusters wise, sure there was Mermaid, but the rest of the year looks pretty desolate, except Railrode Tigers and Memory War, both pending for a October release.

So maybe imports box office share could stay 40%+.

2017 is truly the year to watch, with both China and Hollywood offering their best blockbuster slates.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, firedeep said:

This is a booming Spring, especially for imports. Jungle Book appears to be another $80m~$100m-plus performer. BVS could cross 1B. 

Disney should win 2016 among all studios: ZOO 1.5B, JB 600M, CW 2B, Alice 700m, FD 400M, DS 900M, possibly a huge 6B year for them. 

The more I think about it, the more I feel 2016 is not a weak year for Hollywood in China at all. Sure, there is probably no standalone super blockbusters like TF4 or FF7 but a dozen of HLW semi-blockbusters could all make runs for 1B , adding in one or two unexpected huge hits like ZOO.

Local blockbusters wise, sure there was Mermaid, but the rest of the year looks pretty desolate, except Railrode Tigers and Memory War, both pending for a October release.

2017 is truly the year to watch, with both China and Hollywood offering their best blockbuster slates.

Only 400M for Dory?

10 minutes ago, druv10 said:

So it should win the year for Disney in China?

Easily.

Just some random guesses:

Disney: ZOO 1.5B, JB 600M, CW 2B, Alice 700m, FD 400M, DS 900M = 6.1B

FOX: ID 2B, X-M 1.5B, IA 5 1B (in summer) = 4.5B

Uni: Bourne 1B, Huntsman 400M, Warcraft doesnot count

WB: BVS 1B, Fantastic Beasts 1B, SS 1B

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Yes please. My favorite film of 2015

God's of Eygpt 2 days of 91m yuan isn't that good, quite similar to CTHD2's 2 day opening. 
God's of Eygpt should fall hard on monday, i suspect a 200m yuan total. 
WOM is mixed to bad based on weibo, but apparently Gewara/Douban/Maoyan are inflated? Too many hollywood lovers i supposed.

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Pixar is not popular in China. 400m would be overprediction if it is slated into September. Even Minions only did 400m in Sep.

But at least it's gonna outgross Monsters University in China, right? MU is still the highest grossing Pixar film in China. It just needs to have a great China release for FD.....not like Dreamworks's KFP3...where that film had a worse release date.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

You've CW/ID at 2B which would be over TF4 and just short of FF7.

I think Revenant should easily clear 400m yuan. Its presale is very very good, looking at a 70m+ OD.

Whoa! Didn't check that. That would be quite an overperformance. But I guess overperformance is the average for this film now, considering that it has done so in every single marlet around the globe. Really, all hail Leo! Another mighty mighty succes to his name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

Pixar is not popular in China. 400m would be overprediction if it is slated into September. Even Minions only did 400m in Sep.

But as we just saw, WOM can do anything. Of course, though, we can not know how that will be so basing predictions om it would be foolish but just saying.

Nemo was a very big success here in its time. Adjusting to market growth and change im ER, and I know it doesn't always work that way but thats the best way to gauge a films success in its time with regard to today's grosses, it made ~250m$ (which would become, gulp, 387.5 factoring the 55% jump for this year too).

And this is the kind of animated film - talking animals, simple comedy, beautiful visuals, universally holding emotional content - that appears to appeal here. Plus its the sequel of a very loved film so the disadvantage of being the first or an original film doesn't hold either. Yes, Pixar films have not been performing very well lately but I'd say thats just because the pictures they made have not appealed here. I highly doubt people are gonna think -"Dory? Thats Pixar. Didn't like their last film, so gonna pass it." Its not even that known a brand outside the western world.

I would go with atleast 600m yuan and believe it can reach much higher too.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

The growth in China market is just crazy, especially after 2014. 
Let's just assume for a moment, realistically that Zootopia hits 1.2billion Yuan and Ip Man 3 hits 800m yuan yuan, if we rank it in 2014, we have the number 2 and number 4 ranked movie in 2014. Lol. (And we are talking about a dull period known as March over here). Really impressive market growth despite the weakening economic conditions.

But in 2016, is 1.2billion yuan a top 10 candidiate? Its crazy. So many more big hits coming up....

• Like 1