A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I wish you are right. From now I'm expecting 25 million more DOM. Following the same proportion than now (45% DOM-55% OS), about 35 million more in OS markets excepting Italy and China. That would add exactly 1 billion (940 from Sunday + 60). Italy and China should add 100 million. TDK did 13 million in Italy, so maybe 15 in Italy. TDKR would need 85 million from China, what is very high. We would need to know what smaller markets have still to open. Someone remembered me some days ago that TDKR has still to open in Switzerland and I don't see any number from Greece in BOM. TDK grossed about 8 million adding both countries... It will be tough. but definitely it has a shot.

Greece opened last week, Switzerland has 3 different releases based on the language, with only the tiny Italian part left to open this week.

Greece opened last week, Switzerland has 3 different releases based on the language, with only the tiny Italian part left to open this week.

Thanks for the information. So if there are not more countries to open, the only chance I see to hit 1.1 billion is with 30 million more DOM (over 450, maybe 452-453), 40 in OS markets excepting Italy and China, and 85 between Italy and China (15-70? 20-65?)

Why you guys still think the current result is good ?Almost all who fellow the B.O. in China see this as a big disappointment. Both were supposed to do at least TA number but now heading to 120M-ish combined.

Depends on your expectation level. I figured the release date issue would hurt them both a lot. Government is basically telling Hollywood to go screw itself.
  • Like 1

From DHD:

The Amazing Spider-Man(Columbia/Sony Pictures) passed the $700M mark worldwide Monday. Sony today reported that Chinese movie-goers went to theaters in huge numbers as the Spidey pic opened with a big $5.46M at approx 2,515 locations Monday. The 3D pic bested the 2D The Dark Knight Rises opening simultaneously Monday in China. The Legendary/Warner Bros Picture opened with an estimated $4.45M from 2,400 sites in China. This is Warner Bros. highest 2D opening there, outgrossing any 2D Harry Potter as well as 2D Inception.

IMAX is estimating a combined gross of $1M for opening day of Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros Pictures) and The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) in China. This ranks among other top IMAX openers in the region such as The Avengers and Mission Impossible 4. The estimate also is notable because DKR and Spider-Man both opened on a Monday.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/3d-amazing-spider-man-and-2d-dark-knight-rises-open-huge-in-china-on-same-day/

Why you guys still think the current result is good ?Almost all who fellow the B.O. in China see this as a big disappointment. Both were supposed to do at least TA number but now heading to 120M-ish combined.

It's nothing of the fault of the movies really, just the audiences and the Chinese government. If you want them to stop doing this, then go support the movies as much as you can and prove em' wrong, people! Given the circumstances, we can't have expected more than 70-80m for either release.As for hitting 1.1 billion, it's tough, but considering the holdover OS markets totaled some 30m last week, I think it can pull in another 40-45 million if holds continue to be strong like they have been for the past two weeks. Add in another 25m here in the US, and hopefully 85 between China and Italy, that would put it in range? Edited by MrPink

It's nothing of the fault of the movies really, just the audiences and the Chinese government. If you want them to stop doing this, then go support the movies as much as you can and prove em' wrong, people! Given the circumstances, we can't have expected more than 70-80m for either release.

As for hitting 1.1 billion, it's tough, but considering the holdover OS markets totaled some 30m last week, I think it can pull in another 40-45 million if holds continue to be strong like they have been for the past two weeks. Add in another 25m here in the US, and hopefully 85 between China and Italy, that would put it in range?

1.1B is possible if so.

Let's not forget 2 months ago we weren't even sure TDKR was going to get a release in China, so something is better than nothing in this scenario.

That's my stance on it. TDK got a big fat $0 in China. Anything is better than that, and for a long time it seemed that TDKR was headed for the same fate.
  • Like 1