A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Nah, they did just fine before when China wasn't such a big market. They don't need it.

Why TDKR got released here if WB doesnt need the China release?

Anyway, it's not about needing it or not. It's about how much this market can produce. This is business and if the output is becoming big enough, studios won't say no.

No worship. Honest assessment of the situation. I don't think the Chinese government's feelings about the TDK script were taken into consideration at all, and they shouldn't have been. That would just be stupid.

Calling others who compromise for making more money sellouts is a worship. Because that's what everyone does.Also, as I explained, TDK had a very tricky situation. You really had to cut out all HK-related scenes. I dont think even a "sellout" would do that because that would literrally fuck up the whole story. On the other hand, if the problem was just one or two dialogue and changing them would solve it, I bet even a "super cool guy" like Nolan would say yes as it really wouldn't do harm to the plot.

That's more like you setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like predicting TDKR matching TA numbers in the US, and then getting pissed that it didnt even come near it.

Nah. TA is nothing special before release in May in China. Not many cared about it.You could make a poll in Chinese forums and see how many root for TDKR in China over TA.

For the same reason they released it in tiny markets that barely add anything to the gross. WB is greedy just like any corporation.

That's exactly my point. If WB greedily needs even tiny contributions, how the hell could they say no when the contribution is getting bigger every minute?

Let me just put it this way.... in 2005-2006, when the plot for TDK was being developed, China wasn't a big enough market to impact any film-making decisions. Till that time only one Hollywood film had made more than $15m.

Calling others who compromise for making more money sellouts is a worship. Because that's what everyone does.

That isn't what I said and you know it. I was talking about a director changing his film's story to cowtow to a totalitarian government's fake sensitivity (the same government that kills its own people and censors the hell out of them).

China didn't ban the film. WB chose not to release it because they were afraid it would get banned. And the second a filmmaker starts cowtowing to a totalitarian government for the purposes of making more money, that's the second I call him a sellout. Nolan made the film he wanted to make and I'm glad he didn't give a shit about the Chinese government's ridiculous sensitivity.

Wednesday looks pretty bad for both. Bid drop from Tue. My early breakdown was overdone by much ...So disappointed.

Lets hope the weekend will recover.. I need my 50 mill for TASM

China has recently made its co-production regulation stronger. If a movie is to gain co-production status, and get a Chinese release date without doubt, then it has to be seen to have solid contributions from China, and not some token gesture of a Chinese actress in a supporting role. It has to have siginificant amount of the film filmed in China, have Chinese stars headlining or have significant investment from Chinese production companies.This is a great way for more US movies to get released in China without having to go through the screening process and possibly get refused.

China has recently made its co-production regulation stronger. If a movie is to gain co-production status, and get a Chinese release date without doubt, then it has to be seen to have solid contributions from China, and not some token gesture of a Chinese actress in a supporting role. It has to have siginificant amount of the film filmed in China, have Chinese stars headlining or have significant investment from Chinese production companies.This is a great way for more US movies to get released in China without having to go through the screening process and possibly get refused.

IM3 are one.. Cant wait to see how that goes