A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

pepsa, why are you comparing a holiday with a non holiday hold. Obviously Pirates will have a better hold. But Pirates tanked post the holidays. Wont even do 1.2B. 

Wtf? I am taking about this weekend, the drop of pirates was smaller. I think. I am not comparing holiday to non holiday unless pirates got a holiday this monday and ww not..

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

Monday is not holiday.But Schools are off these days to prepare College entrance exam.The 3-day exam will begin tomorrow.Schools are off this Monday and Tuesday.And also Wednesday to Friday.So this week day by day drop may be soft.ww and other films also benefit from it.

WoM is just soso for ww.38M/76M is still alright for original SH films.80% of BvS in China

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

pepsa, why are you comparing a holiday with a non holiday hold. Obviously Pirates will have a better hold. But Pirates tanked post the holidays. Wont even do 1.2B. 

I think he/she does not compare PotC5 first Monday, but this Monday (5th of June) drop. PotC5 had better hold than WW this Monday. Hence not sure if one can state that WW had better drop than overall market (does overall mean average or all the other movies?). Also not sure if one can compare 1st Monday drop of a movie to 2nd Monday drop of another movie. Or maybe I am totally wrong about what@pepsa is meaning...

17 minutes ago, ttr said:

I think he/she does not compare PotC5 first Monday, but this Monday (5th of June) drop. PotC5 had better hold than WW this Monday. Hence not sure if one can state that WW had better drop than overall market (does overall mean average or all the other movies?). Also not sure if one can compare 1st Monday drop of a movie to 2nd Monday drop of another movie. Or maybe I am totally wrong about what@pepsa is meaning...

No, this was what i was trying to say. But yeah it's second monday drop vs first. And ofc i didn't say pirates drop was good, i mean it realy dropped the ball after the holidays.

According to Maoyan at 18:00,WW down 3.6% from yesterday,Pirates flat,dangel up 2%.It's sure that box office is inflated today,more schools are off than yesterday.

About wom,maybe variations between legs are smaller than reviews itself except extremely good or bad because every film is frontloaded.

Edited by ymblcza
  • Like 1

TUE estimates

before service charges

Wonder Woman  -  30.6m / 310.2m
Pirates 5  -  16.8m / 954.6m

Dangal  -  7.8m / 1,079m

Doraeiga  -  1.56m / 108.5m

Beautiful Accident  -  1.24m / 12.75m

after service charges

Wonder Woman  -  32.8m / 330.9m(holidays before GaoKao for some students and teachers)
Pirates 5  -  17.88m / 1,020m

Dangal  -  8.5m / 1,171m

Doraeiga  -  1.7m / 118.1m

Beautiful Accident  -  1.33m / 13.6m

• Like 11

WED estimates

before service charges

Wonder Woman  -  27.2m / 337.2m
Pirates 5  -  15.1m / 970.3m

Dangal  -  7.36m / 1,094m

Doraeiga  -  1.56m / 110.1m

after service charges

Wonder Woman  -  29.2m / 360m
Pirates 5  -  16.2m / 1,037m

Dangal  -  8m / 1,179m

Doraeiga  -  1.7m / 119.8m

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

In the first 5 months of 2017, import films made ¥12.308 billion(+54.25% compared to the same period 2016), and local films made ¥9.487 billion(-25.53%). 

Do you think local films are down this year because of how huge The Mermaid was last year? Or has there been a local film just as big? 

Edited by Nova

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

Do you think local films are down this year because of how huge The Mermaid was last year? Or has there been a local film just as big? 

Very possible decrease compare to 2016, local films are weakest in 2017. 

Wolf Warriors 2 and The Founding of an Army will come on Jul.28(Aug.1 is Army Day). Both of them are talking about army story. Wolf 2 has Captain American’s actor Frank Grillo. The Founding of an Army is a film about historical theme.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nova said:

This year's CNY combined releases were just 200m (-4%) short from last year's total with Mermaid.  The rest of the 2.8b short fall is outside CNY.  I don't know if the yuan shifted from local films to HLWD or if the local fans are getting more choosy and want better quality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wolf Warriors 2 and The Founding of an Army will come on Jul.28(Aug.1 is Army Day). Both of them are talking about army story. Wolf 2 has Captain American’s actor Frank Grillo. The Founding of an Army is a film about historical theme.

In other words The Founding of an Army is pretty likely to fudge its numbers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

3 hours ago, POTUS said:

This year's CNY combined releases were just 200m (-4%) short from last year's total with Mermaid.  The rest of the 2.8b short fall is outside CNY.  I don't know if the yuan shifted from local films to HLWD or if the local fans are getting more choosy and want better quality. 

Thanks for the response guys! Better quality maybe the reason for it then. 

I figured id ask because I remember The Mermaid being really huge last year. It was a great film though so very well deserved of the success it had. 

On 2/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, fmpro said:

Logan presales still dosen't look to good :depp:

On 3/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, fmpro said:

Projecting on presales i will guesstimate that Logan will debut with 55-65 mill OD. 

It would be disapointing  

On 3/2/2017 at 9:16 AM, POTUS said:

PS heading to 22-23m. The floor is 2.75x = 60m.

3x+ has been more common recently. 70-75m is possible. 

8.8 Maoyan rating would get it higher.

On 3/2/2017 at 2:40 PM, fmpro said:

Presales are picking up and should/could hit 25-26 mill

FB numbers are looking more and more likely for OD/OW

On 3/2/2017 at 3:08 PM, POTUS said:

75m is the floor now. 80m+ probable.

Could match DS

On 3/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, Olive said:

Maoyan's Friday forecast

Logan 87.4M

RE6 28.3M

Dog's purpose 21.2M

Lego Batman 5.4M

On 3/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, fmpro said:

Uhhhhhh i would like that number

On 3/2/2017 at 8:40 PM, POTUS said:

9.1 rating for Logan.  Locks 80s. 

3.5x PS takes it to 93m

On 3/3/2017 at 6:55 AM, fmpro said:

Yeah. Logan is doing good today... 100 mill looks very good for OD

On 3/3/2017 at 2:31 PM, Gavin Feng said:

Friday estimates

after service charges

Logan  -  99.6m / 104.9m

Mummy PS run(and our low projections) just like Logan which finished at 26m. Mummy tracking 28-30m. 100-120m OD. 340-400m/ $50-60m  OW

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Mummy PS run(and our low projections) just like Logan which finished at 26m. Mummy tracking 28-30m. 100-120m OD. 340-400m/ $50-60m  OW

I agree. Looks like 28-30 mill PS finish..

100 mill $ total still in the cards but far far from locked

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

The Mummy[8 hours]

MN  -  3.06m

OD  -  21.13m

Kong: Skull Island[7 hours]

MN  -  3.62m

OD  -  27.61m

Logan[5.5 hours]

MN  -  2.76m

OD  -  19.88m

The Mummy[7 hours]