A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

So the Friday number including midnights is about 70 mill?  That should put it on pace for 200?  

Will that be the highest grossing import of all time in terms of opening weekend?

1 minute ago, baumer said:

So the Friday number including midnights is about 70 mill?  That should put it on pace for 200?  

Will that be the highest grossing import of all time in terms of opening weekend?

Highest grossing OW period, import or Chinese.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

In dollar terms, most likely yes. In local currency, tough to say, but I am going with no. FF8 will retain local currency title. 

And yes we are still on pace for 200 unless tomorrow disappoints. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

In dollar terms, most likely yes. In local currency, tough to say, but I am going with no. FF8 will retain local currency title

Ok, thanks.  But in terms of dollars, it will be if it hits 200.

2 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

It looks like things were intense while I was asleep. So 450m OD + MN. Hopefully tomorrow will be over 500m. 

Its 450 mill including midnights. 

500 mill should still happen tomorrow IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Mad Titan said:

Highest grossing OW period, import or Chinese.

Wait, really?  I thought Monster Hunt 2 had the record.....doing a quick search, I see that it does not.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, thanks.  But in terms of dollars, it will be if it hits 200.

Dollar terms FF8 did about 194 something so yeah anything above that. But we are all rooting for 200 as that will be the first time a movie opens to 200 or more in 2 territories. But more importantly so that we can make fun of a certain youtube box office ignorant by the name of Grace Randolph 😜

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to ask such a neophyte type question here, but if I recall correctly, local or homegrown films can play for longer periods of time at the Chinese box office than imports?  So something like FF only has say a month before it's pulled but something like Operation Red Sea or Wolf Warrior 2 can play for much longer?

Sorry to ask such a neophyte type question here, but if I recall correctly, local or homegrown films can play for longer periods of time at the Chinese box office than imports?  So something like FF only has say a month before it's pulled but something like Operation Red Sea or Wolf Warrior 2 can play for much longer?

yes

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes, unless the foreign movie is really leggy and doing really well in which case they are granted an extension. But most movies are almost dead by the time the 1 month is up so it doesnt really matter.

IW is lucky in that it hardly faces any competition during its 1 month period so it should have somewhat decent legs despite its huge numbers relative to what it would have had had it had any competition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

this thread suddenly looked like domestic thread

Yep, that's what happens when history is upon us, you get guys like me who show up here.  :sparta:

• Like 4