A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Interesting revelation tucked into this NYT piece on Hollywood's relationship with the censors: SARFT apparently didn't care much for Top Gun 3D.

Paramount Pictures just learned the hard way that some things won’t pass muster — like American fighter pilots in dogfights with MIGs. The studio months ago submitted a new 3-D version of “Top Gun” to Chinese censors. The ensuing silence was finally recognized as rejection.

News to me, I'd never heard that it was even being considered for a Chinese release. No idea how it would've done and it's all moot now -- though the conversion is said to be very good, so it might've avoided the toxic WOM that 2012 3D got. Reckon I'll check it out during its limited (six-day) run in the U.S.

News to me, I'd never heard that it was even being considered for a Chinese release. No idea how it would've done and it's all moot now -- though the conversion is said to be very good, so it might've avoided the toxic WOM that 2012 3D got. Reckon I'll check it out during its limited (six-day) run in the U.S.

TG3D was rejected probably because of politic factors. The film is not popular in China. In other words, it could just waste one of the 34 quotas without doing much box office. Personally, I would like to see another film gets released instead of TG3D.

Studios have done worse actions than you might think. Like when Universal even IMAX-DMR converted Snow White & Huntsman for a China exclusive IMAX release....Sometimes they just deliver films to the SARFT that just hardly possible to get released. They dont see it. And othertimes they could have delivered films with more potentials. while they dont.

It is true though that every year a lot of more foreign films have been delivered to the SARFT by Hollywood studios and local distributors. And only a small part of them can get imported by CFG. These films go through the censors, get imported, get dubbed and subtitled, and then waiting for a release date from DEA. The majority get lost in the long process. The folks at the Film Bureau are one of the most hardworking guys in the country, they watch more movies than most of China's biggest movie fans.

Edited by firedeep

TG3D was rejected probably because of politic factors. The film is not popular in China. In other words, it could just waste one of the 34 quotas without doing much box office. Personally, I would like to see another film gets released instead of TG3D.

It would've been pointless to give it a revenue-sharing slot, but if I'm not mistaken 2012 3D was a buyout -- though that was a Sony title and not a Paramount one. In any case, the implication of the article is that Top Gun died in censorship, irrespective of any distribution problems it faced. I guess U.S. jingoism needs a sci-fi wrapping to be acceptable (Transformers, anyone?). Edited by Bob Violence

It would've been pointless to give it a revenue-sharing slot, but it seem like a buyout release would've been a plausible alternative. 2012 3D was a buyout if I'm not mistaken, though that was a different studio.

2012 3D was sopposed to be revenue-sharing release at some point. Its quota was cancled at last minute. That quota went to France's Un bonheur n'arrive jamais seul, starring Sophie Marceau. And that one eventually became the lowest grossed revenue-sharing release in recent years with just RMB 1.5M ...

2012 3D got revenue-sharing films treatments though, on prints and advertisings, everything. Usually, movies from major Hollywood studios get released as revenue-sharing ones. If Paramount wanted TG3D to be a buyout, they would also need a local partner.

Since the html option was down, so no chart this week.The Grandmasters opened $26M through 6 days, setting new ow record for a little title released in January.CZ12 cume $129MLiT cume $193Mhttp://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/http://www.chinafilm.org.cn/association/shujufabu/yp/201301/15-4967.html

• Weekly box office
  •  

Date:  Unit: Million us$  
Rank Title Gross(M us$) Cumulative Gross(M us$) Screening days Screening numbers Admissions Average Ticket Price Distributors

Posted Image
$25.78 $25.78 6 142465 4552310 $5.7 Sil-Metropole Organisation

CFGC

Huaxia Distribution

Bona

Elegance

2 CZ12 $12.81 $127.13 25 95586 2106614 $6.1 Huayi Brothers Media Group Co.,Ltd
3 Lost In Thailand $8.98 $191.13 33 91449 1739547 $5.2 Huaxia Distribution

Enlight Pictures

4 The Last Tycoon $2.32 $22.37 24 34478 445966 $5.2 Bona
5 Love In Time $0.49 $0.49 3 11130 109359 $4.5 Huaxia Distribution

Starlight Alliance Cultural Development (Beijing) Co., LTD