A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

You guys happy for $40m ?That would be the most terrible thing in Chinese theatrical history, the bomb of bombs.

Beyond the average run it has had around the world, after listening and reading in this forum every bad omen about this movie in the last two months like bad grosses in Taiwan and Hong Kong, huge competition because of local titles, horrible release date (just after New Year), I have learnt to be realistic with this franchise. This week I was expecting 35-40 and it seems it will be its final result. Horrible result? of course. I had expected over 100 just 3 months ago. But now it is not a surprise. Firedeep, I have to congratulate you because it will be accomplished in China what you have been saying during last weeks.

• Like 1

Early Saturday estimates:

JTTW 52M +45%

HOBBIT 48M +37%

That would be an extremely terrible Saturday jump for Hobbit, the worst Saturday boost ever of all major Hollywood releases opened on Friday, which right responds its poor GA reactions. With that number, 3 days opening will be 123M or so. 300M total is dead, more like 280M, or 100M less than 2D Skyfall.

Sub 300M yuan means it wont touch the yearly top 20 chart, bad just bad, especially considering ROTK was the #1 foreign film in 2004.

Gotta to say, this is now the most disappointing performance in China for a movie I have seen. Never really imagined this could really happen. Just disappointing.

Some funny records Hobbit will still have no matter how disappointing it is performing:

Fouth biggest movie of all time that never won any weekly chart after Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D (555M), TDKR(350m), and Back to 1942 (360m).

Biggest movie of all time that never won any day ... 

Early Saturday estimates:

JTTW 52M +45%

HOBBIT 48M +37%

That would be an extremely terrible Saturday jump for Hobbit, the worst Saturday boost ever of all major Hollywood releases opened on Friday, which right responds its poor GA reactions. With that number, 3 days opening will be 123M or so. 300M total is dead, more like 280M, or 100M less than 2D Skyfall.

Sub 300M yuan means it wont touch the yearly top 20 chart, bad just bad, especially considering ROTK was the #1 foreign film in 2004.

Gotta to say, this is now the most disappointing performance in China for a movie I have seen. Never really imagined this could really happen. Just disappointing.

Don't tell me you expected gigantic numbers. You must have expected huge numbers for you to be disappointed like this.