A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Hong Kong's Media Asia Announces Two Donnie Yen Action Vehicles

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/two-donnie-yen-projects-coming-438209

Sony China 'Working to Reschedule' Chinese Release of 'Django Unchained'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-china-working-reschedule-django-438208

Hong Kong's Media Asia Announces Two Donnie Yen Action Vehicles

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/two-donnie-yen-projects-coming-438209

Not sure what to make of this...The Master sounds like it could be a tough-minded Soi Cheang classic, but then The Monkey King looks apocalyptically bad and the idea of Cheang becoming Donnie Yen's pet director at this point is unnerving. If it'd been the Donnie Yen of 10-20 years ago, sure, no problem.

No one really knows the exact date I am afraid, since the date still can not be settled at the moment.

That's crazy to me, it's opening in New Zealand in 1 week and quite a bit of the OS territories in 2 weeks. What is the hold up? Hopefully something like Django doesn't happen to IM3.

That's crazy to me, it's opening in New Zealand in 1 week and quite a bit of the OS territories in 2 weeks. What is the hold up? Hopefully something like Django doesn't happen to IM3.

IM3 is in totally different case. Not sure if I am supposed to spill the situation up ...

The copy of finished IM3 is shipping to Beijing and it should arrive on April 13th. Then it will have to go through the technical censors at SARFT, which is a step of must and happens to every film's pre-release. The tech censors could take a few days. And once it passing, the copy will be sent to studios of CFGC and gets dubbed and subtittled. Then the copy gets made into thousands sub copies, which then need to be delivered to cinemas across the country, with the release notification from DEA and projecting keys from CFGC.Point is either the tech censorship, the producing of sub copies or the delivering all takes time (several days for each step). It could be estimated around two weeks if everything goes no wrong in the whole process.With an unannounced release date set on April 26th, no one, from CFGC, DMG to Marvel or Disney, knows exactly wether IM3 can make that date or not. And this is the real reason why its release date remains appearing as "late April" but not any accurate date. No one is in the way of IM3 in China. All it has to go through are some steps that it has to go through.Additional, had Marvel didnt do a little reshoot s on IM3 in January, there would not be such problems.

• Like 1

After 22 Straight Days at #1, Finding Mr. Right Is Ready to Hand its Crown to Another Romance

Early Friday (4.12) estimates:

1. A Wedding Invitation 15.5M New
2. Finding Mr. Right 10M
3. The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel  7M
4. Drug War 6M
5. Saving General Young 2.5M
6. Oz the Great and Powerful 2.2M
7. Jin Tai Lang De Xing Fu Sheng Huo 1.8M

Excellent opening day for A Wedding Invitation, a low budget chick flick (call it romance drama if you wish) that fully backed by CFGC, the absolutely giant figure in the Chinese film industry. Apparently, the film benifited a lot with the sudden absence of Django Unchained on Thursday morning. However, Bear in mind that the evening screenings were also bigly deflated by a popular TV show in the country, which was even live broadcasting on dezon big silver screens at 11 Wanda locations, the biggest cinema circle in China. Anyway, with a projected 60M OW and a very possible 160M-plus total, A Wedding Invitation marks the third break out in a row for Chinese local chick flicks this year so far following Say Yes and FMR. (Another much bigger one to come on April 26th.)

Despite falling to the second spot, Finding Mr. Right is still doing encouraging business on its 4th Friday, with some huge 442M $71M already in bags through 23 days run. CAS and DW are also holding very well while not so much for SGY and OZ.

Also opened on Friday was a local TV-adpated comedy tittled Jin Tai Lang De Xing Fu Sheng Huo, which looks for a weak sub 10M 3-days debut.

Cumes as of April 11th:

Finding Mr. Right 432M
The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel  225M
Drug War 108M
Saving General Young 47M
Oz the Great and Powerful 145M

Actuals for Friday coming later ...

So what is the Iron Man 3 release date in China? The Chinese box office could be fascinating given the big potential there.

And by the way, my condolences to Chinese viewers about Django Unchained, that's terrible.

Edited by Shadow Fullbuster

Thanks firedeep, hopefully it can make the April 26 date. 

Edit: also will it help or hurt IM3, if it's pushed back by week. I remember you've said So young is going to be massive. 

Edited by druv10

Ugh Chinese box office is just completely uninteresting and not fun to follow anymore.  All of the Hollywood movies that I actually have heard of are doing poorly and the only movies that perform well are the local films that I couldn't gave a shit about. Then the government or whoever's in charge of that crap pulls shit like yanking Django Unchained last minute, delaying every Hollywood movie at least a month, and usually by more than 3 months.

Why bother even caring about China's box office anymore.

/rant :rant: :rant:

also will it help or hurt IM3, if it's pushed back by week. I remember you've said So young is going to be massive. 

If it's pushed back a week, it'll miss the holidays. If it comes out on the 26th, it won't do too great over the weekend--the 27th and the 28th are working days--but it'll have three days (the 29th through the 1st) to make up for that. Missing the holiday would cede those entire three days to So Young and I don't think that would be good. People who go out to see SY over the holiday aren't likely to go out again a few days later to see IM3.

Ugh Chinese box office is just completely uninteresting and not fun to follow anymore.  All of the Hollywood movies that I actually have heard of are doing poorly and the only movies that perform well are the local films that I couldn't gave a shit about. Then the government or whoever's in charge of that crap pulls shit like yanking Django Unchained last minute, delaying every Hollywood movie at least a month, and usually by more than 3 months.

Gov never intends to oppress hollywood films. They make money on them. Some movies such as IM3 even gain invests from chinese companies. The only reason why hollywood films can't perform well is there are no such movies attracted to the chinese audience at the moment. Let's check it out. Skyfall, being the highest grossing u.s film this year, was criticized for lacking of actions and defects in script. Hobbit is appealing to core fans only. DH5 doesn't even have a script. And OZ as a fairy tale is no way tempting to modern teenagers.

Gov never intends to oppress hollywood films. They make money on them. Some movies such as IM3 even gain invests from chinese companies. The only reason why hollywood films can't perform well is there are no such movies attracted to the chinese audience at the moment. Let's check it out. Skyfall, being the highest grossing u.s film this year, was criticized for lacking of actions and defects in script. Hobbit is appealing to core fans only. DH5 doesn't even have a script. And OZ as a fairy tale is no way tempting to modern teenagers.

That might be true for this year but last year we had TDKR, TASM and TE2 released within 2 weeks of each other, clearly to hurt the gross of all 3 movies.

• Like 1

Obviously if films were more appealing they would make more, but it is also true that hollywood films do not receive optimal conditions. there is still a quota limiting the number of films, studios are limited in deciding when to release a film, and there is a lot of censorship of what gets shown(look at what happened to Django).

• Like 2

Yeah, it's why I stopped to be interesting in it, the Chinese government ruined all the fun! We call that distortion of competition.

• Like 1

Thanks firedeep, hopefully it can make the April 26 date. 

Edit: also will it help or hurt IM3, if it's pushed back by week. I remember you've said So young is going to be massive. 

If it's pushed back a week, it'll miss the holidays. If it comes out on the 26th, it won't do too great over the weekend--the 27th and the 28th are working days--but it'll have three days (the 29th through the 1st) to make up for that. Missing the holiday would cede those entire three days to So Young and I don't think that would be good. People who go out to see SY over the holiday aren't likely to go out again a few days later to see IM3.

I agree with this.

April 26th or so is a much better date than any post-May one.

After 22 Straight Days at #1, Finding Mr. Right Is Ready to Hand its Crown to Another Romance

Update: Friday (4.12) numbers:

1. A Wedding Invitation 15.5M New
2. Finding Mr. Right 9M
3. The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel  6.2M
4. Drug War 5.4M
5. Oz the Great and Powerful 3.1M
6. Saving General Young 2.3M
7. Jin Tai Lang De Xing Fu Sheng Huo 1.3M
8. Jack the Giant Slayer 0.3M
9. A Good Day to Die Hard 81K
10. lOU 36K

Excellent opening day for A Wedding Invitation, a low budget chick flick (call it romance drama if you wish) that fully backed by CFGC, the absolutely giant figure in the Chinese film industry. Apparently, the film benifited a lot with the sudden absence of Django Unchained on Thursday morning. However, Bear in mind that the evening screenings were also bigly deflated by a popular TV show in the country, which was even live broadcasting on dezon big silver screens at 11 Wanda locations, the biggest cinema circle in China. Anyway, with a projected 60M OW and a very possible 160M-plus total, A Wedding Invitation marks the third break out in a row for Chinese local chick flicks this year so far following Say Yes and FMR. (Another much bigger one to come on April 26th.)

Despite falling to the second spot, Finding Mr. Right is still doing encouraging business on its 4th Friday, with some huge 442M $71M already in bags through 23 days run. CAS and DW are also holding very well while not so much for SGY and OZ.

Also opened on Friday was a local TV-adpated comedy tittled Jin Tai Lang De Xing Fu Sheng Huo, which looks for a poor sub 8M 3-days debut.

Cumes as of April 12th:

Finding Mr. Right 442M
The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel  231M
Drug War 113M
Saving General Young 49.2M
Oz the Great and Powerful 149M

Jin Tai Lang 1.5M

LOU 3.3M

Saturday numbers with weekly estimates coming on Sunday ...
Edited by firedeep

According to a post by the officer from the Office of China Film Special Funds at CFGC, the first 100 days of 2013 (from January 1 to April 10) saw 163 million cinema admissions in total, with overal box office 5728M yuan ($919.4M) from 7.21M screenings on some 15000 screens in more than 3000 theaters. That indicates roughly 72.1K shows per day with a per screening attendance around 22.62.  Average ticket price 35.12 yuan $5.63 while per show income 794.42 yuan $127.5, a pretty weak number.