A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Could be 212m (56+87+69=212; 56+84+67=207 $34m shouldnt be a problem ) or $34.8m OW for Smaug, +80~84% from AUJ (115m). Current exchange rated is 6.09.

Frozen should be around 244m or just over $40m by Sunday with a 12m Sat.

Others est on Saturday: BLS 20m 310m, Macau 10.5m 472m, Monkey 7m 1014m

Wow, Maucau is easily breaking the 500m mark. What a run. 20+ multiplier off holiday opening day (25m), which is the biggest box office day on record. Ex-files is not bad either, 5.7m holiday OD now over 117m total.

Btw, for Hobbit total, still, neither $100m China nor 1B is happening IMO. More like 80m China / 960m WW (20m Japan).

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Could be 212m (56+87+69=212; 56+84+67=207 $34m shouldnt be a problem ) or $34.8m OW for Smaug, +80~84% from AUJ (115m). Current exchange rated is 6.09. Frozen should be around 244m or just over $40m by Sunday with a 12m Sat. Others est on Saturday: BLS 20m 310m, Macau 10.5m 472m, Monkey 7m 1014m Wow, Maucau is easily breaking the 500m mark. What a run. 20+ multiplier off holiday opening day (25m), which is the biggest box office day on record. Ex-files is not bad either, 5.7m holiday OD now over 117m total. Btw, for Hobbit total, still, neither $100m China nor 1B is happening IMO. More like 80m China / 960m WW (20m Japan).

Opening day was 50% bigger than TH1, but opening weekend maybe 90% bigger? Thats a much better Friday multiplier, less frontload. That usually leads to a better OW multiplier.TH1 had 2.66 x OW I think this weekends performance portends 3x.105m

If china can double TH1 then maybe japan does too and 1b will be reached

Maybe DOS will do significantly better in Japan this time due to the more LotR-like release date it has this time.  RotK made an enormous 95m in Japan in 2004 and AUJ made a pathetic 19m there in in 2012 with 3D.  That is just an absurdly big drop and I think the release date might have had something to do with that, but I'm prepared for the worst with another measly 20mish.

As for China, I think its kinda easy to understand why DOS is doing much better in China than AUJ did so far... its way, way more of an action movie and visual spectacle than AUJ was and the Chinese eat that kind of shit up.

• Like 2

Maybe DOS will do significantly better in Japan this time due to the more LotR-like release date it has this time.  RotK made an enormous 95m in Japan in 2004 and AUJ made a pathetic 19m there in in 2012 with 3D.  That is just an absurdly big drop and I think the release date might have had something to do with that, but I'm prepared for the worst with another measly 20mish. As for China, I think its kinda easy to understand why DOS is doing much better in China than AUJ did so far... its way, way more of an action movie and visual spectacle than AUJ was and the Chinese eat that kind of shit up.

1b was written off weeks ago. Its looking more possible than ever.
  • Like 1