A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

What the hell?  Why is Robocop of all movies so popular there?

Anything even remotely connected to robots does gangbusters in China, that's the rule.

The Sci-Fi action genre usually does well in China, maybe the most popular genre among Hollywood movies.

Edited by firedeep

Even with 35M Sat (80% increase, very hard) and 28m Sun, which means less than 375m after 10 days with -60% 2nd wkn drop. Say 70m next week (-60% weekly), 25m for the rest of run. 470m $seem $77m the limit for DoS.

When will it hit 3B+ a week?

Current biggest week is 1.15B. At +30% yearly rate, weekly record will reach 3.2B yuan ($500m+, Bigger than US/CA record) in 4 years, so 2018.  ;)

I was (drunk( trying to explain to my family about how China is the biggest wildcard market in movies today, because of its rapid expansion. And how weird it was due to the 34 foriengn movie limitation (I hope thats' right?). It surprised them.

• Like 1

I was (drunk( trying to explain to my family about how China is the biggest wildcard market in movies today, because of its rapid expansion. And how weird it was due to the 34 foriengn movie limitation (I hope thats' right?). It surprised them.

Explain "wildcard'  please :wub:   And could you convince them to travel here

Explain "wildcard'  please :wub:   And could you convince them to travel here

Ooh, yeah. Wildcard is probably pretty culturally loaded. I'm going to ignore the denotations of the term, though.

In general, we have a fairly good predictive sense of how well a film will do in most markets: the US, Japan, Australia, Europe. These are all mature markets and while we're not going to be exact, we probably aren't going to miss a prediction by an order of magnitude in most cases. (Shoot, even Frozen, which pretty much everyone missed, was is probably only going to double most expectations in any given market. So predictions were off, but are not vastly off.)

China, though, is the wildcard. Predictions are a crapshoot. They could be very high or very low and there's little way to tell how they will work.  The combination of limited exposure (34 movies a year), rapid theater expansion, and the uncertain nature of what the audience will go for mean that things may be vastly different from expectations. The Hobbit's a good example: the first one did... not well. The second one is doing significantly better. Or Pacific Rim, which pretty much did ho-hum numbers everywhere else and broke out huge in China.

In a few years, probably no more than ten at the most, China will be a mature market. We'll have a good sense about how it will go, so if I speak to people who do not follow the box office I will feel much more confident about how a film will do there.

(Russia is also a bit of a wildcard, but that seems to be coming more in line faster than China is. Probably because it's not such a limited market.)

(As for travel, I would love to visit China sometime, but it's probably not going to happen soon without outside help. Overseas travel is hella expensive.)

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

Ooh, yeah. Wildcard is probably pretty culturally loaded. I'm going to ignore the denotations of the term, though.

In general, we have a fairly good predictive sense of how well a film will do in most markets: the US, Japan, Australia, Europe. These are all mature markets and while we're not going to be exact, we probably aren't going to miss a prediction by an order of magnitude in most cases. (Shoot, even Frozen, which pretty much everyone missed, was is probably only going to double most expectations in any given market. So predictions were off, but are not vastly off.)

China, though, is the wildcard. Predictions are a crapshoot. They could be very high or very low and there's little way to tell how they will work.  The combination of limited exposure (34 movies a year), rapid theater expansion, and the uncertain nature of what the audience will go for mean that things may be vastly different from expectations. The Hobbit's a good example: the first one did... not well. The second one is doing significantly better. Or Pacific Rim, which pretty much did ho-hum numbers everywhere else and broke out huge in China.

In a few years, probably no more than ten at the most, China will be a mature market. We'll have a good sense about how it will go, so if I speak to people who do not follow the box office I will feel much more confident about how a film will do there.

(Russia is also a bit of a wildcard, but that seems to be coming more in line faster than China is. Probably because it's not such a limited market.)

(As for travel, I would love to visit China sometime, but it's probably not going to happen soon without outside help. Overseas travel is hella expensive.)

I actually think Japan is more of a wildcard than China, Because it is more likely to go against both the norm in the market and the films performance in the rest of the world.

• Like 2