China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Tuesday

TF4 27.1M total 1,779M

Thursday showtimes

Tiny Times 43.9%

TF4 17.2%

Old Boys 13.9%

$300M ON SUNDAY? I Just want it to react that number sooooo bad <3333

With that theatre drop, can it still make $2mil+ per day? Is $10mil weekend still possible?

With that theatre drop, can it still make $2mil+ per day? Is $10mil weekend still possible?

Yes...  Take Wanda Cinema which is the largest chain in China as an example, that drop means every 2 hour which compare to every hour before for TF4 on Thursday.  Also, even Tiny Times 3 has 43.9% showtimes for tomorrow, if Tiny Times 3 doesn't perform well, it's showtimes will be cut too! I don't think Tiny Times 3 will perform well anyway as Tiny Times 1 took around $77M however Tiny Times 2 took around $47M only!  

Edited by A K A
  • Like 1

Yes...  Take Wanda Cinema which is the largest chain in China as an example, that drop means every 2 hour which compare to every hour before for TF4 on Thursday.  Also, even Tiny Times 3 has 43.9% showtimes for tomorrow, if Tiny Times 3 doesn't perform well, it's showtimes will be cut too! I don't think Tiny Times 3 will perform well anyway as Tiny Times 1 took around $77M however Tiny Times 2 took around $47M only!  

Thanks. I hope you're right. It's amazing how TF4 has made this much money daily considering the WOM. I thought people would go home and told their friends not to see it.. Or maybe they did but nobody listened.. :lol:

Thanks. I hope you're right. It's amazing how TF4 has made this much money daily considering the WOM. I thought people would go home and told their friends not to see it.. Or maybe they did but nobody listened.. :lol:

Or maybe people actually liked it.  

• Like 6

I wish that was the case but that would be too good to be true. :mellow:

KATCH 22, baumer is right!  People in China just like Transformers film!   Firedeep has explained to you before why Transformers 4 is so popular in China.  Read below just in case you forget.

The cartoon shows and then the toys.

In 1986 Hasbro was firstly entering the Chinese market, so they provided the TF G1 cartoon shows, dubbed by Shanghai Film Studio, to CCTV basically for free.

Think what it was like in middle/late1980s in China: no video games, no internet (of course), no comics, only a handful of cartoon shows on TV, no toys, no play partners at home due to the One Child Policy, G1 instantly became the only thing the then kids cared about. More than 130m children, most of who had no borthers/sisters, were born during 1978~1984. The only entertainment they had was to looking forward to watch the G1 cartoon at 18pm every day and then ask their parents to buy them a TF toy.

But licensed TF toys were so enpensive, for example, a made-in-Japan Optimus Prime was being sold at 200 RMB or more but the average yearly faimly income was just around  5000 RMB in 1990's Shanghai, that barely no one could afford it. So, everyone had pirated TF toys instead. Here is the news that after Transformer (2007) opened, Tfans were bidding old liscensed TF toys with price as high as 16000 RMB per piece.

Even a fractile of the then 130 million kids, each of who have their own families now, became die-hard TF fans, the fandom would be big enough to turn today's TF movies into national events.

Every year there are many TF forums, Toy shows, exhibitions in China. Of course, not every one is pleased with Bay's work. I have seen more than one radical TF fanboy who swore to tear Bay in parts for ruining their childhood.

Currently both Hasbro and Lego both are building their biggest factories in China. China's toy market will boom and explode with more and more after 80s (and after 90s) starting to have kids.

Transformers and Dragon Ball were probably the two most popular animation shows in China in 1980s and 1990s respectively. Nothing else could replace them. I was not old enough to know what TF was, but I remember hearing a lot of transforms from my elder brother. It was Beast War that later caught my attention.

Edited by A K A

KATCH 22, baumer is right!  People in China just like Transformers film!   Firedeep has explained to you before why Transformers 4 is so popular in China.  Read below just in case you forget.

Of course I didn't forget firedeep's post, I even liked that post.

I have no doubt about TF's popularity in China. The number speaks for itself. My comment wasn't a knock or a mock on the movie by any means, it's just and observation in amusement because the market that TF4 had the best hold also happened to be it's biggest.

I've been the defender of this movie since the started of it's run because I happened to like it and had everything against people who hated it so blindly. However, one thing about this movie I can't defend is it's WOM since in most market it's big opening always followed by it's big drop. I just made a rational assumption that the WOM would be the same in China but the demand was so much bigger so it's still making good number regardless.

Of course I didn't forget firedeep's post, I even liked that post.

I have no doubt about TF's popularity in China. The number speaks for itself. My comment wasn't a knock or a mock on the movie by any means, it's just and observation in amusement because the market that TF4 had the best hold also happened to be it's biggest.

I've been the defender of this movie since the started of it's run because I happened to like it and had everything against people who hated it so blindly. However, one thing about this movie I can't defend is it's WOM since in most market it's big opening always followed by it's big drop. I just made a rational assumption that the WOM would be the same in China but the demand was so much bigger so it's still making good number regardless.

Of course the demand was so much bigger in China!  The admission of Transformers 4 in China so far just around 40 millions which is just around 3% of the population in China ONLY.   China is a very big market for everything so you can't compare China with other countries.

Edited by A K A

166 mill by thursdayIts at 220-225 mill after sunday buddy boy :)So 300 mill are looking very possible atmSorry to say that Godzilla wont even make 80 mill. Optimus Prime smashed it to 1 million pieces

Damn why you had to mention Godzilla :P. Meanie.. Gives you the Atomic Breath  ROARRRR!!! Aweome news and wow.. Going to be interesting if Juggernaut 2016 can reach 450-500 M in china. Also wondering how Avengers 2 will do ;D

Actually,before its opening,the Baidu Index showed that people who were interested in TF4 were mainly aged between 30-40. To them,transformers means memories of childhood.

Of course the demand was so much bigger in China!  The admission of Transformers 4 in China so far just around 85 millions which is just 0.6% of the population in China ONLY.  China is a very big market for everything so you can't compare China with other countries.

Thanks God the franchise is loved in China then. ^_^

Thank you China for playing a major part in keeping those transforming robots alive and kicking. To most people these robots are just the work of CGI but to me watching them in live-action movies is like how people watching their favourite actors/actresses on a big screen. If all it take to see Transformers alive and 'real' is watching Baysformers then I'll take it and run.

Edited by KATCH 22

Thanks God the franchise is loved in China then. ^_^

Thank you China for playing a major part in keeping those transforming robots alive and kicking. To most people these robots are just the work of CGI but to me watching them in live-action movies is like how people watching their favourite actors/actresses on a big screen. If all it take to see Transformers alive and 'real' is watching Baysformers then I'll take it and run.

By the way the correct admission of Transformers 4 in China so far just around 40 millions (not 85 millions) which is just around 3% of the population in China ONLY. 

Edited by A K A

By the way the correct admission of Transformers 4 in China so far just around 40 millions (not 85 millions) which is just around 3% of the population in China ONLY. 

That's astonishing, and I guess it's also a good thing since it means the market has so much more room to grow. :lol:

Seems like alot of people did... Its going to come pretty close if noot surpass Transformers 3 WW.. And will come about 30-40M short of the domestic tally of TR3 ;). Not Bad Optimus .. Not bad at all :)

Edited by Superman001