A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Seems like the Chinese like American films more than their own.

Interesting question.

Total gross of Hollywood films (42) in 2014 ~ $2.069 billion

Hollywood market share in 2014 ~ 44.8%

Gross per Hollywood film in 2014 ~ $49.26 million

Total gross of local films (256) in 2014 ~ $2.732 billion

Local film market share in 2014 ~ 55.2%

Gross per local film in 2014 ~ $10.40 million

One could argue that Hollywood releases would win the market share if there were more of them,i.e., if the quota system were nonexistent. However, in that case, the current censorship most likely would also be gone. The vast majority of local genre films can not be (efficiently) done because of SARPPFT's ridiculously restrict censorship.

Hollywood films have (much) better quality in general, yes.

But Chinese audience loving Hollywood films more is a bold assumation in current situation in my opinion. Apparently local langauge films have seen more admissions in recent few years in South Korea. After all, China has a much bigger film market than Korea does, which bodes well for a stronger local film industry.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2

Interesting question.

Total gross of Hollywood films (42) in 2014 ~ $2.069 billion

Hollywood market share in 2014 ~ 44.8%

Gross per Hollywood film in 2014 ~ $49.26 million

Total gross of local films (256) in 2014 ~ $2.732 billion

Local film market share in 2014 ~ 55.2%

Gross per local film in 2014 ~ $10.40 million

One could argue that Hollywood releases would win the market share if there were more of them,i.e., if the quota system were nonexistent. However, in that case, the current censorship most likely would also be gone. The vast majority of local genre films can not be (efficiently) done because of SARPPFT's ridiculously restrict censorship.

Hollywood films have (much) better quality in general, yes.

But Chinese audience loving Hollywood films more is a bold assumation in current situation in my opinion. Apparently local langauge films have seen more admissions in recent few years in South Korea. After all, China has a much bigger film market than Korea does, which bodes well for a stronger local film industry.

I would hope so. Hollywood films killing local films would be tragic. its critical that there is a balance. Japanese and Korean markets handle both very well without too many restrictions. I hope the same happens in China.

• Like 1

TF4's record is safe. What future movies do you see with the potential to break that record?

TF5? Maybe Avengers 2 but I REAAALLLLY doubt it.

If low budget comedy Lost in Hong Kong, a sequel to Lost in Thailand (2012) which break 1265m with budget less than $3m.

2015 local movies, only The Ghouls (12.18.2015) expect to do 2B.

Yes I agree that a blance is necessary (and essentially inevitable). In every culture, local films are always in demand. The problem in China is that SARPPFFT (the Party) controls too much.

Films with political subtexts ---- NO

Films with ghosts/supernatural-elements in mordern background---- NO

Films about the evil/dark side of human nature ---- NO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_China

Unless a significant step-up happens in China's top political landscape, the current censoring system probably wont see big changes. And as long as the censoring system holds, a film/TV rating system remains a daydream and there always will be a quota system on imported films. (If the qouta system somehow gets lifted in 2017 after the next negociation, censorship on foreign films could be stricter.)

No rating system = every film should and can only vary between G and PG-13.

================

Decemer 2011 box office ~ 1.390 billion RMB

Decemer 2012 box office ~ 2.556 billion RMB +84%

Decemer 2013 box office ~ 2.120 billion RMB -17%

Decemer 2014 box office ~ 2.500 billion RMB +18% ~ (projection)

Meanwhile 2014's total box office increased 73% compared to 2012

After two lackluster Decembers in a row, I am going to be skeptical about The Ghouls (12.18.2015) doing 2B. The industry see this as a trend that the heart of winter box office season has shifted to Chinese new year from December. So I think Stephen Chow's The Mermaid (2.8.2016) has a better shot at 2B.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2