A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

How can people say, that 400m is a lock here?

I mean, let's have a look at compareable movies over in the US, let's say, Iron Man 3.

It did 196m in 5 days and still bareley crossed 400m, even less after 4 weeks of realease, where it only stood at 370m.

I know different days of release, but with Chinas limited releases, it would need some big holds to get there.

China is more leggy than Dom if you have decent WoM (most of the time)

I mean, let's have a look at compareable movies over in the US, let's say, Iron Man 3.

It did 196m in 5 days and still bareley crossed 400m, even less after 4 weeks of realease, where it only stood at 370m.

I know different days of release, but with Chinas limited releases, it would need some big holds to get there.

But F7 has full 2nd weekend which means good increase from OW sth like 30 mln$. Maybe 400$ not locked but it has good chance ;) DOM we have at least -60% drop for blockbusters
  • Like 1

I went to see the movie last Sunday, and the cinema is full of people.

Too many showtimes for FF7 that workers forgot to put the movie on screen at the right time.

Many people can't even buy tickets and are forced to see it this week.

The phenomenon is shocking, as I didn't expect it so well received.

I feel everyone around me taking about this movie and the theme song is now played in many shops.

• Like 1

I went to see the movie last Sunday, and the cinema is full of people.

Too many showtimes for FF7 that workers forgot to put the movie on screen at the right time.

Many people can't even buy tickets and are forced to see it this week.

The phenomenon is shocking, as I didn't expect it so well received.

I feel everyone around me taking about this movie and the theme song is now played in many shops.

I bought a ticket in advance
  • Like 2

What do you mean by first overperforming movie? You don't think any other film has overperformed in China??

Essentially that FF7 is going to be by far the biggest grossing film in the USA box office to not have the USA as its number 1 market WW.

TF4 probably currently holds that record I'd imagine. Can't think of many 200M films in the USA to gross more than that elsewhere.

• Like 2

IM3 had a 3 day weekend plus Thursday evening shows added in for its "5" days. FF7 averaged $25m for 4 weekdays to get to its number. By comparison IM3 is extremely front loaded. IM3 averaged 9.5m p/d its 1st midweek. With a 60% drop next week FF7 will average close to 10m p/wd. In essence the sunday opening throws everything out of whack, The next 7 days are going be much larger as the weekend will increase and the weekdays will double that of IM3.

IM3 was 295 on day 12 with a 5.2m tuesday. FF7 is likely at 290 on day 12 with $10m Thursday. Its got a shot. But you're right; it wont be able to leg it out as IM3 did, so it will need to hold big and do nearly all of the damage  by may 3. There wont be a lot of legs after that. I wouldn't call it a lock buyt its gat a chance. I will lock it if it does 100m this weeknd.

Edited by No Prisoners

Essentially that FF7 is going to be by far the biggest grossing film in the USA box office to not have the USA as its number 1 market WW.

TF4 probably currently holds that record I'd imagine. Can't think of many 200M films in the USA to gross more than that elsewhere.

TF4 is (currently) the only billion dollar film worldwide where DOM isn't the biggest market.

I'm not sure what the next film down on that list (DOM not the biggest market). Some things I have found, though:

The Last Samurai earned 111m DOM and 119m in Japan. WW it got 456m.

The Intouchables, which has a WW take of 426m (DOM gross about 10m).

Pacific Rim is noted before : 411m WW gross. China (112m) higher than DOM (102m).

Mamma Mia! doesn't meet the mark, but it does come close. 144m DOM gross and 132m UK gross. 608m WW.

• Like 3

TF4 is (currently) the only billion dollar film worldwide where DOM isn't the biggest market.

I'm not sure what the next film down on that list (DOM not the biggest market). Some things I have found, though:

The Last Samurai earned 111m DOM and 119m in Japan. WW it got 456m.

The Intouchables, which has a WW take of 426m (DOM gross about 10m).

Pacific Rim is noted before : 411m WW gross. China (112m) higher than DOM (102m).

Mamma Mia! doesn't meet the mark, but it does come close. 144m DOM gross and 132m UK gross. 608m WW.

That's about it, however the intouchables wasn't a Dom movie. Was French where it did 166m and came close to beating avatar 175m,

on smaller movies SK loved About Time and Spain nearly tripled the dom on The Impossible

someone has to explain to me how excape plan did so well in china, those two should move there , make bad chinese films and make millions of yuan

我會回來的       喲阿德里安·我做到了

Wonder if that translated into something about Jurassic park :lol: 

Edited by No Prisoners

I know The Intouchables wasn't US-made. It's notable for how big its box office run was, across multiple countries, though.

To find a comparably large worldwide run for a foreign made film, you're probably dropping down to the 200-300m range. The biggest Miyazaki films, for instance. And in those cases the films are dominated by their own home market. The Intouchables was huge in France, yes, but it was big in other EU markets, too.

I know The Intouchables wasn't US-made. It's notable for how big its box office run was, across multiple countries, though.

To find a comparably large worldwide run for a foreign made film, you're probably dropping down to the 200-300m range. The biggest Miyazaki films, for instance. And in those cases the films are dominated by their own home market. The Intouchables was huge in France, yes, but it was big in other EU markets, too.

Would crouching tiger come next after Intouchables? (If we ignore techincal stuff like HP and Bond being British of course :) )

Yh for sure will become more common in coming year's for mega blockbuster with China out grossing the USA for film's biggest market!

Would crouching tiger come next after Intouchables? (If we ignore techincal stuff like HP and Bond being British of course :) )

crouching tiger would be the inverse. the only foreign film to make more in the US than its home market. thatll never happen again unless litchenstien make a film

I am not too sure about the $100m weekend projection...... with weekdays at such high levels, I suspect Fri/Sat jumps would be muted.

I'd be pretty happy with $80m weekend (500m Yuan).

But if $100m materializes then awesome!

crouching tiger would be the inverse. the only foreign film to make more in the US than its home market. thatll never happen again unless litchenstien make a film

Do you mean non-English or foreign as in from outside the US? British and Australian films that are a success outside of their home market often earn more in the US.

CTHD was a multi-country co-production. It's about as Chinese as, say, James Bond is British: It IS, but there's nuance more to the production. There are Chinese companies involved (China/HK/Taiwan), but also American companies, and it becomes muddled to say whether it's domestic or foreign. Despite being filmed in Chinese, it wasn't really presented as an imported film, and had a fairly typical platform release strategy (at least, typical for platform releases that gross 100m+).

Do you mean non-English or foreign as in from outside the US? British and Australian films that are a success outside of their home market often earn more in the US.

foreign production and non English.  Australian and british films aren't really considered to be foreign or an import anymore by media and the masses. its just accepted as a regular film. They used to dub Aussie films 40 years ago because they thought Domesticans mite not understand the accent/slang. They look and feel like Hollywood these days and often are co produced, mad max 1 felt like an import when it first came out.

Biggest foreign language film? Domestic- The passion of the Christ 611m ww.  gonna be some time before china beats that one. film exports not going so well as their factory items