A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I am not too sure about the $100m weekend projection...... with weekdays at such high levels, I suspect Fri/Sat jumps would be muted.

I'd be pretty happy with $80m weekend (500m Yuan).

But if $100m materializes then awesome!

I think there may be $80 m

Since TF4 opened to 100m and pulled down 220m more, could FF7 pull in 200m more after a 90m weekend? That would be 450m. Just some Chinese food for thought. Dumplings please, steamed

400m upgrade to very possible. Monday could be the day to lock it

$200m more after Sunday is unrealistic .... can't compare an OW with a second WKN as movies trend to drop significently bigger into their runs. A typical five weekends' run in China would be like: (NEW), (sub 50%), (~60%), (70%), (90%)......

Also, TF4 was released in summer while F7 is now in April ... so not an apple to apple comparison.

• Like 2

$200m more after Sunday is unrealistic .... can't compare an OW with a second WKN as movies trend to drop significently bigger into their runs. A typical five weekends' run in China would be like: (NEW), (sub 50%), (~60%), (70%), (90%)......

Also, TF4 was released in summer while F7 is now in April ... so not an apple to apple comparison.

Typical is the key word there.  neither run is typical, TF4 did hold consecutive 50% drops then got wacked for weekend 4 to go on to blow the record to pieces. TF4 was summer but these weekdays were amazing

Sunday OD is not typical and is it really considered a weekend?  There are Monday openers and the ensuing weekend is considered to be the first. I know it all comes down to the showtimes that are given and competition and anything can happen in china, but its obvious the demand is still there and this "second weekend" will be the second biggest of all time and could be treated as a first weekend in theory. Especially when it was bigger than last.  Im not saying its going to happen, just saw the possibility in the numbers as a feasable, but im sure 300m was unrealistic for TF4 and FF7 a week b4 they came out, proof that in an expanding market the unexpected and perhaps unrealistic are attainable.

Corpse said that Frozen would "Never" best 230m in Japan for about 10 weeks, then locked it in week 11 or 12. The numbers were saying it was very possible by week 5. Fortunately we wont have to wait that long. We'll have a better idea if this will be 380, 400 or 420 in a few days. I want to see if Monday drops 50-60% from last or does it do 90% of TF4s Monday, just 40%, to fall in line w a 90m weekend. If so,  a few days more to see if the unrealistic can turn likely.

Edited by No Prisoners