A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Captain America 2 passed 600M yuan(15,4M admissions) mark at 4PM today, becoming the 8th foreign movie to reach that milestone.

Avengers Assemble

1.Iron Man 3 - 768.4M

2.Cap America 2 - 600M (in release)

3.The Avengers - 568M

4.Thor 2 - 343.5M

5.Iron Man 2 - 179M

6.Thor - 98.2M

7.Cap America - 96.5M

8.Iron Man - 92M

• Like 6

Captain America 2 passed 600M yuan(15,4M admissions) mark at 4PM today, becoming the 8th foreign movie to reach that milestone.

Avengers Assemble

1.Iron Man 3 - 768.4M

2.Cap America 2 - 600M (in release)

3.The Avengers - 568M

4.Thor 2 - 343.5M

5.Iron Man 2 - 179M

6.Thor - 98.2M

7.Cap America - 96.5M

8.Iron Man - 92M

the other 7 are: Avatar, Titanic, Pacific Rim, Mission Impossible 4, Iron Man 3, Kungfu Panda 3, Transformers 3 (in no particular order)...what's the closest one for Cap to take down if it can, Olive?  M:I4?  KFP3?

• Like 1

the other 7 are: Avatar, Titanic, Pacific Rim, Mission Impossible 4, Iron Man 3, Kungfu Panda 3, Transformers 3 (in no particular order)...what's the closest one for Cap to take down if it can, Olive?  M:I4?  KFP3?

CAP will end up between MI4 and KFP2.

• Like 1

No one seems to have a definitive list of the 34 Revenue Share titles...while it is easy to say the likes of Cap, Rio and other major studio titles are, it gets blurry with the likes of Transcendence and Ender's Game...are they RS or Bought-Out/Flat Sold ones?  Be good if our elders can start running a list to countdown when the 34 slots are exhausted this year...it just never seems clear towards the end of every year...

No one seems to have a definitive list of the 34 Revenue Share titles...while it is easy to say the likes of Cap, Rio and other major studio titles are, it gets blurry with the likes of Transcendence and Ender's Game...are they RS or Bought-Out/Flat Sold ones?  Be good if our elders can start running a list to countdown when the 34 slots are exhausted this year...it just never seems clear towards the end of every year...

firedeep said in December that Ender's Game was a quota release. I'd think Transcendence is a buyout since it was picked up by a local company (neither WB nor Summit are even mentioned in Chinese version of the film).

I am curious what the final quota for 2013 was, since Snowpiercer didn't get released until March and I've read it ended up being a buyout release.

Edited by Bob Violence

firedeep said in December that Ender's Game was a quota release. I'd think Transcendence is a buyout since it was picked up by a local company (neither WB nor Summit are even mentioned in Chinese version of the film).

I am curious what the final quota for 2013 was, since Snowpiercer didn't get released until March and I've read it ended up being a buyout release.

Bob, that's exactly what I mean, it is confusing for us on the outside looking in.  The non-major titles could be either way...heck, Iron Man was a buyout (which is ridiculous, someone made a ton of $ there) and Hotel Transylvania was a buyout (also preposterous, why would Sony sell their animated's?), so even that's not for sure anymore.  Then you get Snowpiercer and Ender's Game...it gets pretty confusing and China Films aren't the most transparent out there with these...wonder if we have insiders who can give us a better idea...

• Like 1

Bob, that's exactly what I mean, it is confusing for us on the outside looking in.  The non-major titles could be either way...heck, Iron Man was a buyout (which is ridiculous, someone made a ton of $ there) and Hotel Transylvania was a buyout (also preposterous, why would Sony sell their animated's?), so even that's not for sure anymore.  Then you get Snowpiercer and Ender's Game...it gets pretty confusing and China Films aren't the most transparent out there with these...wonder if we have insiders who can give us a better idea...

It turned out Korea's The Thieves was classified as a revenue sharing release after all. So that makes 34 for 2013.

In recent years Sony had released quite a few non-blockbusters under the cover of buyout releases in China. Last year they had: Skyfall, Django Unchained, After Earth, White House Down, Elysium, Smurfs 2, Stalingrad; RE5, Hotel Transylvania, the longest line up for any foreign studio. Sony/Columbia Pic launched a subsidiary (a different one than Columbia China) in China in 2012 under the name of United Exhibitor Partners, which invests in and distributes both Chinese local and foreign films.

It is quite flexible at times that either a film eventually writes down as a RS or a buyout release, especially when the film is not from Hollywood big six. It pretty much all depends on the needs of CFGC. You get what I mean ...

If there is any Chinese partner behind a big Hollywood movie then it is possible to be released as a buyout (like IM3 and even this year's TF4 ...).

BTW, thanks to Firedeep, that was the kind of list I'm looking for exactly...would love an update as at April for the 2014 titles!

2014 RS quota that have been used (in no order):

Despicable Me 2
Ender's Game 
Robocop
Hobbit 2
Jack Ryan 
Frozen
Snowpierce
Need for Speed
Peabody
Monuments‘ Men
Cap 2
Rio
Amazing Spideman
Godzilla
(Am I missing any one ?)
  • Like 1

Bob, that's exactly what I mean, it is confusing for us on the outside looking in.  The non-major titles could be either way...heck, Iron Man was a buyout (which is ridiculous, someone made a ton of $ there)

Iron Man 3 was a buyout because of the co-production angle. Marvel/Disney gave up whatever share they would've received from a revenue-shared release in exchange for DMG kicking in a chunk of the budget. I read somewhere (probably here, heh) that it was around $20m, but I don't think that's an official number. This is presumably what happened with Transcendence as well. DMG isn't involved with Transformers 4 but I imagine the basic arrangement is the same, just with different partners on the Chinese side.

As for "a ton of $," I assume DMG made a nice profit on IM3, but it would depend on how much of the budget they actually contributed, how much of the gross they were able to get, and how much they spent on marketing and distribution. Bear in mind that IM3 wouldn't have made as much without DMG's involvement (for example, it wouldn't have received a holiday release, it wouldn't have gotten a five-week run, and it wouldn't have had such a big marketing push), so you can't just say "well shit, IM3 made $120m in China, so Marvel would've earned more than $20m if they'd released it as a regular quota title." It wouldn't have made $120m as a regular quota title. And even if Marvel didn't come out ahead in dollar terms, it was good for their brand in China.

Edited by Bob Violence

Iron Man 3 was a buyout because of the co-production angle. Marvel/Disney gave up whatever share they would've received from a revenue-shared release in exchange for DMG kicking in a chunk of the budget. I read somewhere (probably here, heh) that it was around $20m, but I don't think that's an official number. This is presumably what happened with Transcendence as well. DMG isn't involved with Transformers 4 but I imagine the basic arrangement is the same, just with different partners on the Chinese side.

As for "a ton of $," I assume DMG made a nice profit on IM3, but it would depend on how much of the budget they actually contributed, how much of the gross they were able to get, and how much they spent on marketing and distribution. Bear in mind that IM3 wouldn't have made as much without DMG's involvement (for example, it wouldn't have received a holiday release, it wouldn't have gotten a five-week run, and it wouldn't have had such a big marketing push), so you can't just say "well shit, IM3 made $120m in China, so Marvel would've earned more than $20m if they'd released it as a regular quota title." It wouldn't have made $120m as a regular quota title. And even if Marvel didn't come out ahead in dollar terms, it was good for their brand in China.

Did they release Cap2 under marvel or is it also DMG?

TDW and CA2 were both regular quota imports with no Chinese co-production involvement. I haven't heard anything about future co-productions from Marvel, but if the Chinese market keeps going the way it is, I'm sure they'll attempt another one sooner or later.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1