A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I don't know Bob...not sure if DMG is being given too much credit here.  They bungled Looper before and now Transcendence, and the former did have a vaunted holiday release date in the weeklong October holidays and the latter its supposed major push with Depp's visit (but then again as you reported, that actually went South with media outlets and fans).  Also read avid Marvel fans pissed with the "Chinese elements" inserted into IM3 way back when, which proved unnecessary (it wasn't a co-pro) and really clunky/clumsy (not sure THAT helped with Marvel's branding among movie fans).  

I'm sure the one thing that Transcendence benefitted from was getting in, otherwise would have been a dicey proposition (same might be said re: Looper)...IM3 and the likes of TF4, I don't think any partners would have been necessary to get these in (not like they're stupid enough to shoot anything anti-Chinese in them to get banned), all signs point towards these movies being brought in anyway as part of the 34...like any Jurassic sequel, Spidey movie or a Jim Cameron directed movie...as long as nothing political in it (then again...Hunger Games movies are getting in, go figure, Panem = Beijing!)

It'll be interesting to see what DMG does with the Gerard Butler remake of "Point Break."  

Edited by Archerdude

I never claimed IM3 wouldn't have gotten in without DMG. Every single Marvel Studios film has gotten in (even Incredible Hulk) and there's no way IM3 would've broken that pattern. But again, it wouldn't have gotten a day-and-date holiday release, it wouldn't have broken the opening day record (which was pretty much contingent on a holiday release), it wouldn't have gotten the ridiculous amount of publicity it had (for example, it was very prominently featured on TV, which is something you don't see much with Hollywood films), and it wouldn't have had a five-week run. The "Chinese elements" weren't sufficient to qualify it as a full co-production, but it was money spent in China and the Film Bureau was hardly unaware of that. Having Fan Bingbing (who's better known in China than any of the Hollywood cast) also meant tons of free PR. Whether those additions ultimately hurt Marvel's image is an unknowable hypothetical, but I don't see it. For some casual viewers it was a goofy novelty that might've convinced them to see something they wouldn't have normally seen, and fans understand it was a one-off and that Huang Xiaoming wasn't going to suddenly pop up in Thor 2.

I'm also not at all clear on how DMG bungled Looper, which is hardly blockbuster material and would've normally struggled to get any Chinese release. Instead it was released during a usually protected holiday period and ended up at #2 against four high-profile competitors, finishing just slightly behind Taichi Zero (which meant Looper had higher attendance, since Taichi had 3D and IMAX). If you're referring to the dollar-yuan mixup in the box office reporting, that was down to Endgame and SonyI never saw anything that implicated DMG in it. Transcendence, yes, they bungled the Depp visit, but given the toxic WOM on the film itself, it was a dicey release no matter what. The day-and-date release surely helped, since there was less awareness of the negative reception in the U.S. Whether it was worth it for DMG I can't say, since I don't know what they put into it, but I doubt the Depp visit was a big factor simply because I doubt the average moviegoer is even aware of it. If DMG fucked up, it's because they backed a movie that sucks and was pitched as a Johnny Depp movie when it's really more of a Rebecca Hall-Paul Bettany movie.

As for TF4, it's in the same boat IM3 was: the question was never if it would come out in China, the question is when and under what conditions. As a co-production (whether it qualifies for "official" status or not), it's looking at a day-and-date release in late June. As a non-co-production, we'd have a possible late August release alongside god knows how many other belated summer blockbusters.

Edited by Bob Violence

I never claimed IM3 wouldn't have gotten in without DMG. Every single Marvel Studios film has gotten in (even Incredible Hulk) and there's no way IM3 would've broken that pattern. But again, it wouldn't have gotten a day-and-date holiday release, it wouldn't have broken the opening day record (which was pretty much contingent on a holiday release), it wouldn't have gotten the ridiculous amount of publicity it had (for example, it was very prominently featured on TV, which is something you don't see much with Hollywood films), and it wouldn't have had a five-week run. The "Chinese elements" weren't sufficient to qualify it as a full co-production, but it was money spent in China and the Film Bureau was hardly unaware of that. Having Fan Bingbing (who's better known in China than any of the Hollywood cast) also meant tons of free PR. Whether those additions ultimately hurt Marvel's image is an unknowable hypothetical, but I don't see it. For some casual viewers it was a goofy novelty that might've convinced them to see something they wouldn't have normally seen, and fans understand it was a one-off and that Huang Xiaoming wasn't going to suddenly pop up in Thor 2.

I'm also not at all clear on how DMG bungled Looper, which is hardly blockbuster material and would've normally struggled to get any Chinese release. Instead it was released during a usually protected holiday period and ended up at #2 against four high-profile competitors, finishing just slightly behind Taichi Zero (which meant Looper had higher attendance, since Taichi had 3D and IMAX). If you're referring to the dollar-yuan mixup in the box office reporting, that was down to Endgame and Sony—I never saw anything that implicated DMG in it. Transcendence, yes, they bungled the Depp visit, but given the toxic WOM on the film itself, it was a dicey release no matter what. The day-and-date release surely helped, since there was less awareness of the negative reception in the U.S. Whether it was worth it for DMG I can't say, since I don't know what they put into it, but I doubt the Depp visit was a big factor simply because I doubt the average moviegoer is even aware of it. If DMG fucked up, it's because they backed a movie that sucks and was pitched as a Johnny Depp movie when it's really more of a Rebecca Hall-Paul Bettany movie.

As for TF4, it's in the same boat IM3 was: the question was never if it would come out in China, the question is when and under what conditions. As a co-production (whether it qualifies for "official" status or not), it's looking at a day-and-date release in late June. As a non-co-production, we'd have a possible late August release alongside god knows how many other belated summer blockbusters.

Let's agree to disagree on the alleged contributions of this DMG outfit...read and heard enough on my end.

Transcendence's opening weekend in China is lower than in North America?  :o

Apparently, but not by much, definitely less than a million US$.  Said pic dominated screen counts and had higher ticket prices as it was converted to 3D for China...something interesting as Chris Nolan who exec produced is known to be quite aversive to 3D.

Tuesday est
Demon.........8.5M.............66.2M
Trans...........7.4M..............81M
CA2.............7.3M.............627M
Rio2............3.2M.............161M
Edited by Olive
  • Like 8

Transcendence falling behind Demon and barely making more than Cap on its third Tuesay :lol:And congrats Cap for passing $100M!

Edited by Sam
  • Like 3

I don't know Bob...not sure if DMG is being given too much credit here.  They bungled Looper before and now Transcendence, and the former did have a vaunted holiday release date in the weeklong October holidays and the latter its supposed major push with Depp's visit (but then again as you reported, that actually went South with media outlets and fans).  Also read avid Marvel fans pissed with the "Chinese elements" inserted into IM3 way back when, which proved unnecessary (it wasn't a co-pro) and really clunky/clumsy (not sure THAT helped with Marvel's branding among movie fans).  

I'm sure the one thing that Transcendence benefitted from was getting in, otherwise would have been a dicey proposition (same might be said re: Looper)...IM3 and the likes of TF4, I don't think any partners would have been necessary to get these in (not like they're stupid enough to shoot anything anti-Chinese in them to get banned), all signs point towards these movies being brought in anyway as part of the 34...like any Jurassic sequel, Spidey movie or a Jim Cameron directed movie...as long as nothing political in it (then again...Hunger Games movies are getting in, go figure, Panem = Beijing!)

It'll be interesting to see what DMG does with the Gerard Butler remake of "Point Break."  

Archerdude, why do you say DMG bungled Looper? The producer is a friend of mine and he told me he was very happy with the China grosses. It earned 1/3 as much in China as it did in North America, which was a solid performance for 2012.

Tuesday est
Demon.........8.5M.............66.2M
Trans...........7.4M..............81M
CA2.............7.3M.............627M
Rio2............3.2M.............161M

Olive,  how many weeks will CA2 stay in theaters ?

Edited by Ent

Some predictions for big releases in next two months:

---- 4.25 ----

Iceman ----- 400m~500m (big OW, huge 2nd week, horrible legs after holiday) movie is bad but it's got big cast one of the best dates out there.

My Old Classmate ----- 200m (thanks to holiday)

The Great Hypnotist ----- 400~500m (someone says it's very good a comedy and it stars Xu Zheng, so ...)

ASM2 ------ 500~600M

Coming Home ----- 300m+ (depending on quality/WOM)

X-MEN ----- 500~600m

Overheard 3 ---- 400m

Godzilla ------ 800m~1B (depending on quality and competition)

Edge of Tomorrow ----- 300~400m

TF4 ----- 1.5B~2B (depending on quality)

Dragon 2 ---- 400~500m (depending on quality)

---- protection month comes .... ----

• Like 4