A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Aware. I believe it's relevant there too, as an indication that HTTYD2's China gross didn't impress DWA enough to make them confident that HTTYD3 can stand a chance against FD.

C'mon...

China has NOTHING to do with it. HTTYD3 moved because the movie wouldn't be ready by then. The change on the release date was expected way before HTTYD2 release. None of the fans were comfortable with the date and they knew that DW would change it because it was only two years between a film and the other. And everyone is happy that they did it, because they want a good last movie, not a rushed one. So don't say that FD IS the reason it is moving, it was already on track to do it.

Also, if they were "so scared" of FD, why would they move to summer 2017 which has no less competition? Despicable Me 3 it's like a monster. 

Edited by xSabrinax
  • Like 1

C'mon...

China has NOTHING to do with it. HTTYD3 moved because the movie wouldn't be ready by then. The change on the release date was expected way before HTTYD2 release. None of the fans were comfortable with the date and they knew that DW would change it because it was only two years between a film and the other. And everyone is happy that they did it, because they want a good last movie, not a rushed one. So don't say that FD IS the reason it is moving, it was already on track to do it.

Also, if they were "so scared" of FD, why would they move to summer 2017 which has no less competition? Despicable Me 3 it's like a monster. 

As I have mentioned, from March to July 2016, at least 7 animated films will be released. There was clearly too much competition, i.e. they were scared of FD. There are countless examples of films that were successfully released a mere 2 years after their predecessor. I'm not buying that time was an issue. Let's admit it that Disney is winning every brand-power contest they decide to compete in. I would even bet that they'll win the X-Men: Apocalypse/Alice in Wonderland 2 contest (Memorial weekend 2016).

As I have mentioned, from March to July 2016, at least 7 animated films will be released. There was clearly too much competition, i.e. they were scared of FD. There are countless examples of films that were successfully released a mere 2 years after their predecessor. I'm not buying that time was an issue. Let's admit it that Disney is winning every brand-power contest they decide to compete in. I would even bet that they'll win the X-Men: Apocalypse/Alice in Wonderland 2 contest (Memorial weekend 2016).

As I said DM3 is in summer, is an animation as big as FD. 

And about "Let's admit it that Disney is winning every brand-power contest they decide to compete in."  Yeah, MU win big from DM2. That was a really fun competition.

• Like 1

I am delighted and ecstasized by the announcement that HTTYD3 has been moved from its initial date of June 17, 2016 - the same date as Finding Dory - to June 9, 2017. Now it is positioned to open one week ahead of an untitled Pixar film, which is a pretty grim fate already. Finding Dory on the other hand will open in a market asking crazily for a decent animated film. From March 17 to June 17, 2016, other animated films that will open are Boss Baby (DreamWorks), Clifford the Red Dog (oh, puh-lease) and Sausage Party (ridicule to the power of ridicule). However, the post-release competition is still pretty tough: Angry Birds, The BFG, Ice Age 5 and other family/adventure films like Tarzan, King Arthur, Marvel Untitled. Although the recession of HTTYD3 is good news, I still think Finding Dory would be better off if released around Memorial Day 2016 (e.g. one week before or after). But currently, I'm just enjoying how Disney won a competition for yet another important release date in 2016 (the other one was the Cap 3/Bat vs Sup fight). Hail Disney!

I really read your text now (at first I thought you were in the wrong thread, so I didn't).

I think you see reasons not supported by any of the usual indicators.

To make it clear:

I never would watch a non-live action movie voluntarily. I might do it to accompany an ill child or similar. I am at this website solely for BO numbers and take a in-depth look into a lot of numbers/details.... movie-business related and when I occasionally like a certain movie I might provide some more additional material like charts or news as others also get.

So:

why anyone here at BO.co would write in such kind of wording like this one: 

... pretty grim fate already..... the recession of HTTYD3 is good news,...

and so on is beyond my comprehension.

Also I do not see the moved date in any way related to Disney, against that assumption speaks e.g. as only one of several reasons the length of time of the delay

To me the complete wording... look like a try to agitate other people and implicate details not proven by anything official or .... and as such I have a strange feel for about the real reasons you placed the post here.

To me you appear bcs of that also not as a real fan, but a fanatic who confuses the joy about a franchises success with the imagined 'competition' between different franchises, like a franchise can not be appreciated for its success without diminishing other ones at the same time.

Make yourself a bit more familiar with how the business in complete works and than hopefully start to cheer on each cent earned for all movies worldwide not promoting intolerance, violence, war, or crime...., no matter the franchise.

Good to very good movies get GA into the cinemas, as more they go, as more they see new trailers.... and might get an appetite for watching the next movie in a cinema again.

If a cinema visit out of the 2-3 times a year a GA viewer even goes to a cinema, is a bad experience... the next time time he/she might consider to go to a non-movie related event instead.

According to ratings and BO HtTYD movies are good ones, Nemo... seemingly too, so both get people into the cinemas => try to celebrate the acceptance of non-live-action movies one within the older age group nowadays instead of (unsuccessful) trying to twist details into something diminish appearing.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

As I said DM3 is in summer, is an animation as big as FD. 

And about "Let's admit it that Disney is winning every brand-power contest they decide to compete in."  Yeah, MU win big from DM2. That was a really fun competition.

Did DW set HTTYD3 on the same date as DM3? No, they set it 3 weeks earlier. That's a big difference. I am talking specifically about occasions in which two films are scheduled to open on the same date. MU and DM2 opened in the US two weeks apart and in other countries, say China, months apart.

[...]

Also I do not see the moved date in any way related to Disney, against that assumption speaks e.g. as only one of several reasons the length of time of the delay

[...]

According to ratings and BO HtTYD movies are good ones, Nemo... seemingly too, so both get people into the cinemas => try to celebrate the acceptance of non-live-action movies one within the older age group nowadays instead of (unsuccessful) trying to twist details into something diminish appearing.

1. Just to make it clear, I don't like HTTYD2 and DreamWorks in general for the films they make, although there may be some few exceptions. If DWA felt confident for HTTYD3, they would postpone one of their other movies (3 scheduled for 2015 and 2 for 2016) to focus on a film (HTTYD3) that they believed will be succesful. But they don't believe this. I'm sure they don't think that a 2016 schedule containing Boss Baby and Trolls will be at all successful either. They feel that the competition is overwhelming and the obvious competition they had was Finding Dory.

2. I don't get the whole thing about live-action films. I never said anything about that.

1. Just to make it clear, I don't like HTTYD2 and DreamWorks in general for the films they make, although there may be some few exceptions. If DWA felt confident for HTTYD3, they would postpone one of their other movies (3 scheduled for 2015 and 2 for 2016) to focus on a film (HTTYD3) that they believed will be succesful. But they don't believe this. I'm sure they don't think that a 2016 schedule containing Boss Baby and Trolls will be at all successful either. They feel that the competition is overwhelming and the obvious competition they had was Finding Dory.

2. I don't get the whole thing about live-action films. I never said anything about that.

You're actually saying they should postpone 5 movies for one?

You're just being obnoxious. Why didn't Pixar postpone Inside Out and the Good Dinosaur for Finding Dory by your logic.

to 1. => now you are stretching it into the extremer parts of speculation. People do work for certain projects out of ability interest and having the time to do so at certain dates. Plus for those kind of movies you need other companies time also scheduled. Why a studio decides for which date, that includes so many details, that even a slight change needed can mean in the end a change for a very long time. Again: try to read up more on back-ground, then you might make less obvious wrong conclusions

to 2. => I am not interested in any animated or... movies, so my answers is/are not based on being a fan.

I am a general film fan since the '70 and an additional movie business fan incl. BO fan since the '90, not a fan of any franchise in general or actor or whatever (even if I like some of those a bit more than others)

If DW had moved Dragon 3 a couple of weeks or months I'd say it was from competition, and they should have moved that much if they were ready by summer 2016 because opening on the same day as Dory would have been suicidal.  But one year speaks to re-scheduling because the product won't be ready. These movies tend to take on avg 4 years to make.  This isn't Planes 2 and shouldn't be rushed out on a cheap assembly line.  Monsters University took 100 million CPU hours, about 2 years using a thousands of computers, just to render the film and if they're changing character, plot or appearance around even a little a bit the entire schedule is affected.

The director practically admitted HTTYD3 probably would NOT be ready for the original release date, in an interview before HTTYD2 was released. Even when there still seemed to be a chance the film could make $750M+ WW, DeBlois still said "You can't take those release dates too seriously" and estimated it would take three years for the third film to get from conception to completion.Even if HTTYD2 had been a smash hit domestically, this still would have ended up being delayed - and I am not being revisionist. I said this (on another forum) last summer, when it still had the original date to itself and DM2's breakout was causing people to start predicting a breakout for Dragon 2.

• Like 2

The director practically admitted HTTYD3 probably would NOT be ready for the original release date, in an interview before HTTYD2 was released. Even when there still seemed to be a chance the film could make $750M+ WW, DeBlois still said "You can't take those release dates too seriously" and estimated it would take three years for the third film to get from conception to completion.Even if HTTYD2 had been a smash hit domestically, this still would have ended up being delayed - and I am not being revisionist. I said this (on another forum) last summer, when it still had the original date to itself and DM2's breakout was causing people to start predicting a breakout for Dragon 2.

A big animation movie can't be done in just 2 years but haters gonna hate...

1. Just to make it clear, I don't like HTTYD2 and DreamWorks in general for the films they make, although there may be some few exceptions. If DWA felt confident for HTTYD3, they would postpone one of their other movies.

Okay, Dreamworks animated films tend to suck. Okay, Dragon 2 is an average overrated flick. Okay, Dragon 3 escaped from Finding Dory. These are facts.

But the whole 'Disney's victory' thing is completely amiss. First, FD was the strongest title from the beginning as the original is arguably the most popular work by Pixar. Second, Fox just threw a temporary (and rushed) release date, that's how these things often work. That provisional date was bound to change, as a mere 2-year gap between an animated film and its sequel was unrealistic and unprecedented. There's no 'win' here, just logic and necessity.

• Like 2

According to THR,

"Paramount's Transformers: Age of Extinction also hit a franchise low in the U.S., but it has amassed north of $1.07 billion globally after becoming the top film of all time in China with $331 million. "There is no question the movie business is cyclical," says Paramount vice chairman Rob MooreAge of Extinction's lengthy running time of 165 minutes no doubt hurt it in the U.S. (the previous installments were shorter)."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-crash-what-caused-728367

So, TF4 $331M(Final) in China

Mojo is not up to date. It lists TF4 as grossing $301M in China

I don't get the whole Disney won the competition thing. In the BvS - Cap 3 situation, I feel both Disney and WB are the winner because now both movies can maximize their potential gross.

In FD - HTTYD3 situation, it's clear that HTTYD3 had no chance whatsoever after the poor performance of HTTYD2. The decision to move was a good decision. It's just the new date is not a good date as well.