A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

So looking at somewhere close to 600m Yuan for the 5 day weekend. How is the competition going forward. I think it can handle Mermaid for sure. Any big local movie releasing in next 2 weeks?

i think holdovers from 1 month ago can handle TLM 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

So looking at somewhere close to 600m Yuan for the 5 day weekend. How is the competition going forward. I think it can handle Mermaid for sure. Any big local movie releasing in next 2 weeks?

Well, it's a free market - Japanese Anime Film like SAO won't hurt. Doraemon Demography is different same goes with Castle 

Major Opener are 

Spidey - June 2

Transformers - June 9

Flash &Elemental - June 16

None of the upcoming Hollywood opener has PS opened. I heard Spidey will go live on WED Morning.

Among local none until Summer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

Well, it's a free market - Japanese Anime Film like SAO won't hurt. Doraemon Demography is different same goes with Castle 

Major Opener are 

Spidey - June 2

Transformers - June 9

Flash &Elemental - June 16

None of the upcoming Hollywood opener has PS opened. I heard Spidey will go live on WED Morning.

Among local none until Summer.

Spidey could do well. 1st one did 63m (I presume 400m Yuan). I hope it increases in China if its well received. 

Transformers is a big question mark considering it does not have Bay or any other actors from previous movie but you never know they could be nostalgic for Optimus Prime and Bumblebee and take it to the biggest movie since pandemic. Bumblebee itself did big numbers. I hope this does breakout. 

2 good weeks for FX should take it comfortably above 1B. May be as much as 1.3B Yuan. Unless Spidey is huge, 3rd week wont be that bad either. 4th week I expect FX to die when Transformers open. 

I wonder how Flash will do. DC movies have never done well here except Aquaman which broke out for under the sea spectacle. But it does have 2 bats. Let us hope if can at least do 300-400m Yuan. 

Elemental will probably bomb. Animation from Hollywood have not broken out since COVID. Plus except Coco none of the Pixar movies have done that well either. I am thinking sub 100m yuan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Saturday was boosted by MAY 20TH(semi-Valentine's Day in China), it will drop close to 50% on Sunday, so 540-550M yuan O-week.

Mermaid will just flop ,may just try 100M yuan total at best. Big competitions (Doraemon, spider-vers) will be the week after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

All movies will drop hard. So only around 545 mill OW

Even though Fast X will end way behind F9 and wayyyyyy behind F8 and F7, I feel it leaves the franchise in a better place as reception was much better than F9. I would not count out F11 doing F9 numbers and F12 could do even more than that.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Even though Fast X will end way behind F9 and wayyyyyy behind F8 and F7, I feel it leaves the franchise in a better place as reception was much better than F9. I would not count out F11 doing F9 numbers and F12 could do even more than that.

Horrible movie like The fate of the furious or F9 hurt the franchise power ,but won’t change the fact it’s still extremely popular franchise,F12 even have chance to do over 2B in China with great WOM(F11 over 1.5B)

Edited by Sophia Jane

Biggest HLW grosser of the year(from 1994-2023)

1994 The Fugitive

1995 True Lies

1996 Twister

1997 The Lost World:Jurassic Park

1998 Titanic

1999 Star Wars I

2000 U-571

2001 Pearl Harbor

2002 The Lord of the Ring I

2003 Harry Potter II

2004 The Lord of the Ring III

2005 Harry Potter IV