A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

The funny part is that Pacific Rim was downloaded illegally a lot before its China release and is still did amazing.

Its a visual spectacle. And has one of the better 3d conversions. Watching a bootleg and enjoying it in the big screen is a totally different experience.

14.08 Wednesday early

Pacific Rim 17M yuan, 563M yuan/$90.8M cume

Tiny Times2 14M yuan, 237M yuan/$38M cume

Fast Six 2.2M yuan, 400M yuan/$64.5M cume

Congratulation to Pacific Rim as it reached $90.8M cume today.  

Edited by GimmeYourLuv

It's still nowhere as comparable an experience. You don't see Pac Rim on a computer screen or on a TV (unless you got a videoprojector), you see it on the biggest screen possible.

If you're arguing that PR is more of a "theater experience" than FF6, I agree, though I feel the action direction in PR has been very overrated. If you're arguing that PR wouldn't have been hurt by HD rips, well, that's purely in the realm of speculation, but FF6 easily lost $30m and probably more from its lousy mainland release date. If PR had been treated the same way--pushed back two months and then required to compete with HD bootlegs--it's naive to think it wouldn't have been seriously hurt as well. PR was phenomenally fortunate to secure a release date within one month of the international bow, which only one other Hollywood summer title (Man of Steel) managed to do this year. (And that both films are Legendary productions is probably no coincidence.)

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

If Del Toro casts Jacki Chan in PR 2, I think it could easily do 200M+ in China alone. I think Jackie Chan would be perfect for a sequel because he's a big name all across the world, not just China.

I like the idea but what role will Jackie Chan play? He's way to old to be a Jaeger pilot. Unless they do another father & son team.

If Del Toro casts Jacki Chan in PR 2, I think it could easily do 200M+ in China alone. I think Jackie Chan would be perfect for a sequel because he's a big name all across the world, not just China.

I think it will flop in China if Del Toro casts Jacky Chan.   :D

How did Avatar stay in theaters so long? I thought US films are only in theaters for 30 Days?What about the upcoming sequel to Avatar? Will it have the same amount of time in theaters as the original?