A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

17 hours ago, picores said:

How's that for the Turtles? Forecasts?

Not bad, but it opened on a Saturday, which I feel is a disadvantage.

Its WOM right now is not bad at all, i would say slightly above average on Douban and quite positive on Gewara and Maoyan, so if it opened on Friday, it should have a better increase on Saturday and could have crossed 100m Yuan single day Saturday.

Sunday will not be as strong as Sat, and week days will go downhill as local films usually play better. Then next week, 3 big local films arriving, difficult time for TMNT2. A pity really, a much better movie than the 2014 predecessor, but bad release date everywhere. Paramount should have chosen an August release date like TMNT1, June worldwide is facing too much competition, and unlike US which can support 3 big releases every weekend.. many countries can only have 1 big blockbuster per weekend and the other movies will have showtimes slashed. 

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

@Olive
Do you think Three will pass 100m yuan?
Big concern for a lot of Vicky Zhao fan... but not one myself.

I'm one of them but since it's Johny To's movie, I didn't expect it much. His movie has came out every year but look at his box office. Gangster...? Anyway, he has big budget project next year. Hope it'll do well.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Olive said:

Saturday est 

Turtles 95M OD (inclu 4.3M midnights)

Bounty Hunters 38.3/81m

NYSM2 36.5M/513M
IDR  26.5M/420M
Anti-fan 12.3M/48.4m
DORY 7.7M/230M
WC 1.77M/1465M

everything is on pace to drop 15-20% from yesterday except for FD which is going to bump 5-10% like last week.

PS  for the big 3 next friday are at 25m and climbing fast. TMNT2 will lose at least 66% of its shows. NYSM2, IDR and FD will lose 80%+

• Like 1

There will be 1-2 local blockbusters release every week until August.19, A Chinese Odyssey 3 is the last one. Import movies never released in summer in the past years. So it should do much better than before. When it comes to good release date, it's sure there will be more and more competitions. But when it comes to shitty release date... people just keep complaining that bc of this, their beloved movies didn't do well. Now, Fri OD and summer release, will it make big differences?      

6 hours ago, Polaroids said:

I see several big openers on Friday. Any predictions on the winner of the day and OD numbers?

Never Gone is in the lead with PS at 13.8m. Its YA and could be PS heavy with a low multiplier like So Young 2 last year and an OD frontload.

Chills 2 11m. I read it has broken record for a gangster movie in PS. It might beat Never Gone OD with a high PS multi and probably win the weekend

Big Fish and Begonia 4.9m

PS has been hard to gauge lately. I assume the top 2 will open well over 100m. BFaB could get close 100m. That's going by the numbers, maybe @Olive has some insight on OD expectations. The other 5 releases are looking at small ODs <20m

It should be a 300m+ Friday in total

55 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Never Gone is in the lead with PS at 13.8m. Its YA and could be PS heavy with a low multiplier like So Young 2 last year and an OD frontload.

Chills 2 11m. I read it has broken record for a gangster movie in PS. It might beat Never Gone OD with a high PS multi and probably win the weekend

PS has been hard to gauge lately. I assume the top 2 will open well over 100m. BFaB could get close 100m. That's going by the numbers, maybe @Olive has some insight on OD expectations. The other 5 releases are looking at small ODs <20m

Cold War 2 might be frontloaded in PS too since it's a sequel. Any idea how the first movie did in China? I only saw HK numbers. Never Gone will be interesting to watch, watched the trailers and seemed like the kind of cheesy romcom China would eat up like the Tang Wei romcom last April. 

41 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Cold War 2 might be frontloaded in PS too since it's a sequel. Any idea how the first movie did in China? I only saw HK numbers. Never Gone will be interesting to watch, watched the trailers and seemed like the kind of cheesy romcom China would eat up like the Tang Wei romcom last April. 

a few articles call it Chills, IMDB has it with Cold War, we'll go with that.

Like domestic, nothing is more Friday and OW front loaded than YA, so CW2 wont be as front loaded

CW 2012 did 253m yuan... I looked at the trailer and just realized Ive seen the first one. I didn't remember the title, it was a very good movie

4 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Hope Big Fish can fly over 100M OD. It easily breaks OD and OW record for local animated film. Hope it'll be the next TMK. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2016 at 11:29 AM, Lihongkim said:

I'm one of them but since it's Johny To's movie, I didn't expect it much. His movie has came out every year but look at his box office. Gangster...? Anyway, he has big budget project next year. Hope it'll do well.  

I like Vicky Zhao, definitely one of my favourite chinese actresses since Huan Zhu Ge Ge, but I am not a fan because I still look at reviews before watching her movies. 
No matter how badly Three did, Vicky Zhao is a draw, and one who is more consistent than Fan Bing Bing, Angelababy etc.

There is a reason why the Kris Wu/Liu Yi Fei movie next week has "So Young 2" added to the title. Haha

• Like 1