A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Its going to be a slow weekend. Todays opener will open in the mid 20s.  Bounty Hunter tomorrow will be a bit stronger and TMNT2 will open Saturday at 40-60m. Its doubtful any of the movies playing this weekend will have many shows next week.

Next weekend is looking to be big, 8 new local releases on Friday. 3 are large and have 150k+ on the want to see list. The top one, Caused Youth(google translate) already has 5m in PS.

9 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Its going to be a slow weekend. Todays opener will open in the mid 20s.  Bounty Hunter tomorrow will be a bit stronger and TMNT2 will open Saturday at 40-60m. Its doubtful any of the movies playing this weekend will have many shows next week.

Next weekend is looking to be big, 8 new local releases on Friday. 3 are large and have 150k+ on the want to see list. The top one, Caused Youth(google translate) already has 5m in PS.

I do hope Bounty Hunters to do well. Looks like it won't. Damn! K-C movie always sucked at the bo. 

The top opener next week is Never Gone aka So Young 2. So Young made 700M+ 3 year ago. Not surprise! SY2 tops pre-sell number. 

HK movie is no longer big. Cold War 2 is even lower than Big Fish. I am being curious to see how Big Fish will perform next week. It finally comes out after waiting for more than 10 years. Can't deny it's so beautiful. If the plot is good, I'm sure it will breakout.   

• Like 2

Hi dear Chinese members and other experts of the Chinese BO.

A few questions : after Zootopia, can we expect good numbers for Moana? Or was Zootopia just a blip? You could think Disney is a more popular brand now.

And : I see a local movie called The Mermaid grossed $524m, it's a huge amount of money, what was the reason of this success?

52 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

A few questions : after Zootopia, can we expect good numbers for Moana? Or was Zootopia just a blip? You could think Disney is a more popular brand now.

And : I see a local movie called The Mermaid grossed $524m, it's a huge amount of money, what was the reason of this success?

Stephen Chow is the biggest reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Zootopia did well, but Finding Dory didn't do so well.. Yes, strictly speaking, Dory is from Pixar.. but Pixar is also owned by Disney

I would say Finding Dory is closer to Zootopia in terms of genre, ie: Talking Animals.
Plus Zootopia is a detective story with twists, similar to many of the big hits in the past with twists in China such as Detective Chinatown, Detective Dee or even Christopher Nolan films.. 

I honestly doubt Moana is anything like that, I am not very optimistic about Moana's numbers, plus we need to see the release dates and competition.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Warcraft dropped like a rock in China, it seems.

It made 156 million during its first 5 days and it has failed to make 220 million, despite having almost 1 month of release. 

Don't forget the Fudging, which Authorithies chose to ignore because Wanda is the distributor, too big and powerful.

• Like 1

Friday July 1st Est

Bounty Hunters 43M OD

NYSM2 34.8M/477M
IDR  28.2M/394M
Anti-fan 13M/36.3m
DORY 4.17M/222M
WC 1.91M/1463M
Apocalypse should end its run with 802.5m

Edited by Olive
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, Olive said:

Friday July 1st Est

Bounty Hunters 43M OD

NYSM2 34.8M/477M
IDR  28.2M/394M
Anti-fan 13M/36.3m
DORY 4.17M/222M
WC 1.91M/1463M
Apocalypse should end its run with 802.5m

Bounty Hunters doing better than i thought, i thought it will not reach 100m Yuan (thought it will be like Three)

Midday projections

TMNT2 80-90

NYSM2 35 considering screen loss, -66% WoW not to bad

ID2 26  same here

FD 9 -48% while losing 55% of screens/ great hold

So Young and Chills 2 PS indicating well over 100m ODs

next weekend shaping up to be 1B+ yuan if So Young isn't massively frontloaded in PS and OD

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Midday projections

TMNT2 80-90

NYSM2 35 considering screen loss, -66% WoW not to bad

ID2 26  same here

FD 9 -48% while losing 55% of screens/ great hold

So Young and Chills 2 PS indicating well over 100m ODs

next weekend shaping up to be 1B+ yuan if So Young isn't massively frontloaded in PS and OD

If midpoint on saturday is 16.00-16,30 i think that TMNT,NYSM,ID2 will be higher.

18 minutes ago, fmpro said:

If midpoint on saturday is 16.00-16,30 i think that TMNT,NYSM,ID2 will be higher.

that's the weekday midpoint. Saturday can be 2-3pm depending on evening shows for holdovers due to matinee sales.

TMNT2 can be 1-2pm since its a new release and is higher in PS

I was going by the hourly run rate taken from 12-1pm which remains close to constant throughout Saturday. FD BO slows after 7pm. Did the run rate through that time

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, picores said:

How's that for the Turtles? Forecasts?

its a decent OD. Itll make $40m by Thursday but wont have many screens next Friday. will get at least over $50m.

Edited by No Prisoners