A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Another proof of Douban being unreliable: JTTW2 already has more than 3,000 ratings at 12:00 midnight when the movie hasn't screened yet and it has an average rating of 5.7. The other two movies don't have scores yet. Highly suspicious if you ask me.

From CFI

word on the street from industry insiders who were granted advanced screenings is that the sequel is “disappointing.”

4 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

From CFI

You think there are over 3,000 industry insiders who happened to score it a 1 on Douban? I read the link from WeChat and there's no mention of the quality of the film. Plus these "insiders" aka marketing blogs can be bought. A lot of those sketchy "insiders" praised Kung Fu Yoga and it's apparently very, very bad according to international reviewers. 

I've seen one international critic from the Village Voice tweet about it and they said it was good comedy (although not as good as the first one).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

You think there are over 3,000 industry insiders who happened to score it a 1 on Douban? I read the link from WeChat and there's no mention of the quality of the film. Plus these "insiders" aka marketing blogs can be bought. A lot of those sketchy "insiders" praised Kung Fu Yoga and it's apparently very, very bad according to international reviewers. 

I've seen one international critic from the Village Voice tweet about it and they said it was good comedy (although not as good as the first one).

Jackie Chan in recent years has been on a tear, buying over critics, faking box office. Kung Fu Yoga is even worst than railroad tigers in quality, it premiered here in Singapore on Wednesday.

He will do whatever he takes to "save" his legacy, but to those people who knows what is happening, he is destroying his own integrity and whatever goodwill he built over the last 40years.

Title Douban Maoyan
  西游伏妖篇2 The Demons Strike Back 5.8 8.1
  大闹天竺 Buddies in India 3.9 6.7
  功夫瑜伽 Kung Fu Yoga 5.7 8.3
  乘风破浪 Duckweed 5.8 8.6

In 2016, 81 films made ¥100m+. Their average scores of Douban and Maoyan are 6.4 and 8.3.

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:
  Title Douban Maoyan
  西游伏妖篇2 The Demons Strike Back 5.8 8.1
  大闹天竺 Buddies in India 3.9 6.7
  功夫瑜伽 Kung Fu Yoga 5.7 8.3
  乘风破浪 Duckweed 5.8 8.6

In 2016, 81 films made ¥100m+. Their average scores of Douban and Maoyan are 6.4 and 8.3.

Paid antis are basically controlling Douban right now. The ratings system might as well be dead.

48 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Paid antis are basically controlling Douban right now. The ratings system might as well be dead.

Is Maoyan reliable then?

But all in all, does it mean JTTW2 suck that bad so Kung Fu Yoga's score is higher? or too early to say?

29 minutes ago, amayami said:

Is Maoyan reliable then?

But all in all, does it mean JTTW2 suck that bad so Kung Fu Yoga's score is higher? or too early to say?

A lot of these reviews sites are manipulated to a degree - but I do know one reviewer (not in China) who reviewed Kung Fu Yoga for Roger Ebert and called it a really bad film but then said JTTW2 was a worthwhile film. Take of that what you will. I remember people here and elsewhere were pretty negative about Mermaid too but look what happened.

12PM Estimates

JTTW2 - 178.58M

Buddies in India - 106.62M

KFY - 76.79M

Duckweed - 38.10M

JTTW2 seems to be adding 10 million on every 30 min update. Now at 188.5M.

Edited by Polaroids

18 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Kung Fu Yoga is getting higher while JTTW2 is becoming lower.

Which just shows how rigged the whole system is. Jackie Chan is probably behind this.... he really will do anything from fudging the gross of Railroad Tigers and manipulating the reviews for that movie and then this.

Edited by Polaroids
  • Like 1

Title Douban Maoyan
  西游伏妖篇2 The Demons Strike Back 5.5  8.2
  大闹天竺 Buddies in India 3.8  7.3
  功夫瑜伽 Kung Fu Yoga 6.0  8.6
  乘风破浪 Duckweed 5.7  8.8
  熊出没·奇幻空间 Entangled Worlds 7.1  9.1

19 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Which just shows how rigged the whole system is. Jackie Chan is probably behind this.... he really will do anything from fudging the gross of Railroad Tigers and manipulating the reviews for that movie and then this.

Jackie Chan is not who everyone thinks he is... can't believe they gave him an oscar. He probably did a lot of backdoor things to get that Oscar. 

48 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

A lot of these reviews sites are manipulated to a degree - but I do know one reviewer (not in China) who reviewed Kung Fu Yoga for Roger Ebert and called it a really bad film but then said JTTW2 was a worthwhile film. Take of that what you will. I remember people here and elsewhere were pretty negative about Mermaid too but look what happened.

12PM Estimates

JTTW2 - 178.58M

Buddies in India - 106.62M

KFY - 76.79M

Duckweed - 38.10M

JTTW2 seems to be adding 10 million on every 30 min update. Now at 188.5M.

From the trailer KFY looked like a big mess, and JTTW2 was hyped to the sky, so it's somewhat puzzling to see JTTW2 scoring lower so far. Guess better wait for more people to watch both movies. 

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Title Douban Maoyan
  西游伏妖篇2 The Demons Strike Back 5.5  8.2
  大闹天竺 Buddies in India 3.8  7.3
  功夫瑜伽 Kung Fu Yoga 6.0  8.6
  乘风破浪 Duckweed 5.7  8.8
  熊出没·奇幻空间 Entangled Worlds 7.1  9.1

Just curious -> Do you think Great Wall will do well if it was released now instead? i mean it flirted with the CNY release date for awhile, before changing it to December (Hence the US release date is still in Feb 2017).
I honestly felt that since its score in Maoyan is better, it would have been 2nd/3rd for CNY. What do you guys think?

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Just curious -> Do you think Great Wall will do well if it was released now instead? i mean it flirted with the CNY release date for awhile, before changing it to December (Hence the US release date is still in Feb 2017).
I honestly felt that since its score in Maoyan is better, it would have been 2nd/3rd for CNY. What do you guys think?

I was also thinking about it but can’t give an answer. WOM of TGW could be better if it opens on CNY. But showtimes could also be deeply hurt.

Though I have not watched JTTW2 and other films which open on CNY, I have faith TGW is better than all of them(I still don’t like TGW). But JTTW2 can catchs most of Chinese by using vulgar jokes.