A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

R1 will pass 450m yuan which is more than 65m USD. Not bad at all actually, at a very very dull month, with Disney China not putting in effort for the marketing.
More than 2x multiplier since opening weekend, despite strong competition from Passengers and holdovers like Some like it hot, and fake fudge like Railroad Tigers.

Never under-estimate the drawing power of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, all the positive reviews from China focuses on them, and allowed that x2 multplier since opening weekend.

Rogue One's performance is in line with most of the countries, so well done Disney. I know you can twist and turn it however you want, but these are solid numbers. Cannot wait to see how you explain the possible success of SW8, because TFA destroyed SW in China. Disney never drops the ball [emoji4]

(tongue in cheek, do not take this too seriously, even if I am a Disney-fan)

7 hours ago, ttr said:

Rogue One's performance is in line with most of the countries, so well done Disney. I know you can twist and turn it however you want, but these are solid numbers. Cannot wait to see how you explain the possible success of SW8, because TFA destroyed SW in China. Disney never drops the ball emoji4.png

(tongue in cheek, do not take this too seriously, even if I am a Disney-fan)

What does this even mean?

• Like 2

Tuesday estimates

Passengers  -  12.25m / 262m
Someone Like It Hot  -  11.9m / 595m
Arrival  -  10.75m / 72.1m
Backkom Bear  -  6.4m / 101m
Rogue One  -  6.2m / 436m
Railroad Tigers  -  3m / 677m
The Great Wall  -  2.5m / 1,153m
Kubo  -  1.14m / 38.58m
Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.13m / 416m

• Like 9

Wednesday estimates

Passengers  -  12.5m / 286m
Someone Like It Hot  -  11.8m / 616m
Arrival  -  10.65m / 87.85m
Backkom Bear  -  6.6m / 113m
Rogue One  -  6.15m / 448m

The Village of No Return  -  3.5m for previews
Railroad Tigers  -  2.9m / 682m
The Great Wall  -  2.6m / 1,157m
Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.3m / 418m
Kubo  -  1.11m / 41.2m

• Like 11

Service charges of buying tickets online will be counted in Box Office, but studios still can’t make money from those.

For example, a Hollywood film’s ticket cost ¥100, not including ¥5 for service charges. And the Hollywood studio will still earn only ¥25.

2016 China Box Office might be ¥49.28B, including ¥3.57B from service charges.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wednesday estimates

Passengers  -  12.5m / 286m
Someone Like It Hot  -  11.8m / 616m
Arrival  -  10.65m / 87.85m
Backkom Bear  -  6.6m / 113m
Rogue One  -  6.15m / 448m

The Village of No Return  -  3.5m for previews
Railroad Tigers  -  2.9m / 682m
The Great Wall  -  2.6m / 1,157m
Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.3m / 418m
Kubo  -  1.11m / 41.2m

Is it true that Passengers will finish its run tomorrow baceuse of CNY? If I remember well, it was said here that it would be on theaters just for 2 weeks. If that is true, I do not remember any film leaving theaters ranking #1, not just in China, but everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peludo said:

Is it true that Passengers will finish its run tomorrow baceuse of CNY? If I remember well, it was said here that it would be on theaters just for 2 weeks. If that is true, I do not remember any film leaving theaters ranking #1, not just in China, but everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong.

The “leaving” we said means low number of screen showings. Theaters in nationwide will give local films 99.5% of 270,000 screen showings on CNY. 0.5%(1350 screen showings) for other films.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Gavin Feng @TigerPaw and other posters from China, do you have any idea how China is reacting to Star Wars:The Last Jedi title? I'm just trying to gauge whether the interest is rising, dipping or staying the same. 

Most of users’ reactions 

1.Who the last Jedi is.

2.Does that mean Luke is going to die. Please hold on, Luke.

3.I have a bad feeling about this title.

4.In fact, Jar Jar is the last Jedi

5.Maybe Luke will fall in darkness

Star Wars official Sina Weibo(like twitter) is followed by 39,000 users while the Marvel studio official Sina Weibo has 2.1m followers.

But the micro-blog(twitter) of The Last Jedi, which was sent by official SW Weibo, was reposted(retweeted) more than 2,200 times in the first 24 hours. 

The first poster of Guardian of the Galaxy 2 ,which was sent by Marvel studio Weibo on Oct.19 2016, was done less than 2,000 times until now.

• Like 1