A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Quick news:

Oblivion is done in China. It just opens this (Friday) morning. But now by noon theaters received a notification that Its IMAX release should be cancelled (or no more than one screening per theater per day) immediately. As for its 2D shows, every theater should keep it on no more than one screen per theater. So basically it is now becomes a limited release in China. Plus poor wom from early screenings here. The movie is done in China.

whoa

Yeah, like can you name some of the high-profile local releases that are coming up during the Summer?

For example what is Tiny World?

Tiny World is a YA movie, targeting at grils, an adpation from one of the bestsellers in China. Its auther, JingMing Guo (1983~, who has started to publish consecutive bestsellers since his teens), is one the two most commercial successful Chinese (YA) novel writers. The feature film, starring a rope of the most popular Chinese local young idol stars, is also the first directorial debut from GUO. The film will be released on June 27. A trailer for it was released last week, which draw over 25M views in less than one day ... A sequel is already under shooting, which is planned to come out this December.

My prediction for TW is a range of 700~900M.

On May 18, a local film called American Dreams in China will be released. Directed by Peter Chan, it has a setting similar to that of So Young. The major difference is that SY targets femals while this one targets at the males. I see this doing 300M~500M, maybe more. The reviews for it so far are very good though.

No other big local movies are coming this summer outside the two above it seems. Next big local hits will come around October, Dec, Feb, or winter. No clear release schedule for that part so far.

Edited by firedeep

Thu.

IM3 -¥20.2M -¥503M

SY -¥16.4M -¥558M

IM3  led less than 4M yesterday.

the ticket price :

IM3 ¥42  

So Young¥31

so the admissions were beat on a single day :

IM3  480k 

So Young 529K

My local theater still has it on two screens (the DMAX screen--or what they used to call the DMAX screen until IMAX apparently told them to stop it--and a smaller one with around 100 seats). They had an IMAX screening at midnight, so maybe that was their one IMAX screening for the day. I'm guessing it'll be knocked down to one screen tomorrow.

Another thing to note:

FF6 is going to be exclusively released in IMAX 3D in one of China's biggest theater chain (Wanda Cinemas); everywhere else in the world will only get IMAX 2D.

How is that even possible, we've never had any word about a 3D release for it at all!!

How is that even possible, we've never had any word about a 3D release for it at all!!

Yup, but it is happening ... Not everyone knows Snow White & The Huntsman had a 3D version, which was sopposed to be released only in China last summer ... however in the end, the movie itself didnt get released due to some unknown reasona. Both are from Universal.

Personally I dont see the point at all. But we can assume the 3D convertion must just cost little so they dont worry about the cost.

My local theater still has it on two screens (the DMAX screen--or what they used to call the DMAX screen until IMAX apparently told them to stop it--and a smaller one with around 100 seats). They had an IMAX screening at midnight, so maybe that was their one IMAX screening for the day. I'm guessing it'll be knocked down to one screen tomorrow.

Just a little update that the screening limitation for Oblivion only applies to Wanda Cinemas it seems.

It's weird. One Shanghai Wanda theater still screen Oblivion in IMAX tomorrow, 3 screenings(and 3 for IM3). Pre-sales have already begun.

My regular cinema (which is a Wanda) has indeed reduced it to one screen and no IMAX showings. It looks like the extra screen is being used for The Croods now, since it only had one showing on Friday but five shows on Saturday. I stopped by the cinema this evening and all the advertising they used to have for Oblivion (a few posters) is totally gone. Man, that's cold.