A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I think it's normal for a typical popcorn movie  :)   We all expected more from Mandarin,though...

On par with all the other Hollywood movies so far this year released (except Croods) ... worse than any local hit.

Though I hoped for $130M finish for IM3 with possible 100M Saturday. Looks Sat just around 90M.

Set -55% weekly drops for IM3 from here and -50% for So Young. We likely wont know which one will win in the end until it is the end (early June), just as what I posted two days back.

On par with all the other Hollywood movies so far this year released (except Croods) ... worse than any local hit.

Though I hoped for $130M finish for IM3 with possible 100M Saturday. Looks Sat just around 90M.

Set -55% weekly drops for IM3 from here and -50% for So Young. We likely wont know which one will win in the end until it is the end (early June), just as what I posted two days back.

I hope So Young will be ripped off heaps of screens next fri by the release of Oblivion...but it also means Oblivion will take over some IMAX screens from IM3

[*]Iron Man 3 -IM3 missed the 10M+ admissions opening. Titanic 3D is still lonely.

[*]

[*]So Young -And So Young became the third movie to draw 10M+ admissions during 2nd week, after LiT and JTTW.

Is this a first? The rankings for the top two being different based on money/admissions?

Is this a first? The rankings for the top two being different based on money/admissions?

Estimated weekly gross for IM3 410M, estimated ATP 44 yuan (OD ATP), esitimated weekly admssions 9.32M.

Estimated weekly gross for SY 325M, estimated ATP 31 yuan (OW ATP), esitimated weekly admssions 10.4M.

T3D is still the only 10M+ admissions opener with 10.5M (468M yuan). Though local hits LIT and JTTW both did over 12M admissions during their 2nd week. SY now the third. No Hollywood movie has done 10M+ admissions 2nd week so far.

Edited by firedeep

Insane how quickly the Chinese market had grown!2B+ week with Avatar 2?

I think it will be pretty easy. Assuming Avatar 2 comes out Dec 2016. The average week volume by that time should be somewhere around 900M~1B with the 30% yearly growth. Avatar 2 should have no problem boosting its week to double the average ....

• Like 1

Saturday number?

Only 88M $14.1m, +44%. Not good at all. cume 324M $52M. 

400M $64M OW is dead. Looks for 395M $63.4M.

$120M is probably dead. SY looks to win after all.

Maybe 700M $112M finish for IM3 with -55% drops.

Edited by firedeep