A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Got news for you:

No foreign film has been settled a release date in June yet. And even FF6 was pulled, not sure if it can still be released in June.

No Hollywood summer release at least until late August.

Prepare for a dozen of big foreign releases stuck in early September, late October. And that is all for the year 2013. 

Got news for you:

No foreign film has been settled a release date in June yet. And even FF6 was pulled, not sure if it can still be released in June.

No Hollywood summer release at least until late August.

Prepare for a dozen of big foreign releases stuck in early September, late October. And that is all for the year 2013. 

Good for me... save me some bucks...I'm saving for the Japan trip this summer. 

So is After Earth pulled too, or are we going by the strict definition of "summer" (June 21 on)? And I take it "no Hollywood summer release" means no animated films as well? Good news for Tiny Times and Badges of Fury (and I guess Man of Tai Chi, now the closest thing to a "Hollywood" film China will get this summer). Shit news for exhibitors unless all three of those do $200m each or some crazy magic number like that. And if November is a blackout month now, that means Hollywood movies are effectively barred for six months out of the year.

Edited by Bob Violence

So is After Earth pulled too, or are we going by the strict definition of "summer" (June 21 on)? And I take it "no Hollywood summer release" means no animated films as well? Good news for Tiny Times and Badges of Fury (and I guess Man of Tai Chi, now the closest thing to a "Hollywood" film China will get this summer). Shit news for exhibitors unless all three of those do $200m each or some crazy magic number like that. And if November is a blackout month now, that means Hollywood movies are effectively barred for six months out of the year.

not sure. All we know is it have NOT been officially dated. It could still be June but who knows. Same goes for JP3D, FF6, MU and even MoS. What sure is not of them can make it.

Not so great in absolute terms, but then ST '09's final total was only about 43% of the first G.I. Joe. If STID actually finishes with 60% of GIJ2's total, that would be a bit over $30m, which again isn't impressive in and of itself but would be a nearly 3.5x increase over ST '09 (for comparison, GIJ2 increased by around 2.5x). Or STID could be more frontloaded, not that GIJ2 had great legs either. There are some Chinese Trekkies, but their numbers are so tiny that I don't know how much they would've affected the midnight figures.

Edited by Bob Violence

Not so great in absolute terms, but then ST '09's final total was only about 43% of the first G.I. Joe. If STID actually finishes with 60% of GIJ2's total, that would be a bit over $30m, which again isn't impressive in and of itself but would be a nearly 3.5x increase over ST '09 (for comparison, GIJ2 increased by around 2.5x). Or STID could be more frontloaded, not that GIJ2 had great legs either. There are some Chinese Trekkies, but their numbers are so tiny that I don't know how much they would've affected the midnight figures.

not major chinese cup of tea...  :P  just like western didn't understand "Jin Yong"

Edited by deepfire

21:30pm here, still early, but it looks STID opened to #1 today with possibly 20M yuan $3.2M (could go low as 18M though with actual comes tomorrow).

For comparison, GIJ OD was 33M, which means STID is still doing about 60% of what GIJ2 did.

Considering less competition for next two weeks, $30M total should happen for it with a shot at $35M. 

Well, except GIJ2 itself underperformed in China ... (Sure, GIJ2 did pretty well compared to the rest Hollywood movies this year so far, but it could definitely have done better had it performed in line with Hollywood movies in 2012).

How many Hollywood films have to "underperform" before it becomes less a question of over-/underperforming and more a question of revising expectations?

Edited by Bob Violence