A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I thought the Detective Dee prequel was going to be released in October?

Also, when is Star Trek Into Darkness going to get released in China, and how well do you think its going to do?

December now. Tiny Times 2, which I forgot to predict above, is also coming out in December. So it is now three big movies in December. 

The Detective Dee prequel will be in 3D, and also probably IMAX.

STID on May 28th, but guaranteed it will completely get shadowed by ADIC. I see sub 100M opening through 5 days and sub 200M total at the most. It will just be another big Hollywood movie this year in China that never wins any day, any week in the run.

If you go by the comparison of GIJ VS Star Trek:

GIJ (2009) 135M

Star Trek (2009) 55M

GIJ 2 (2013) 337M

Star Trek into Star Trek (2013) 141M

You get STID at 140M. $23M.

Edited by firedeep

Nope, not coming this year at all. I am guessing next Febuary (similar date to JTTW) or next summer or ...

Is The Monkey King based off the same material as JTTW? Or is it just a coincidence in names?

Both based on the same material, the famous classic 16th century Chinese novel "Journey to the West".

Thanks, that's what I thought too. I watched the 1986 CCTV series starring Liu Xiao Ling Tong back then. That one was great, a classic for sure. Other ones after that, not so much  :sadno:

How about the movie recently, is it good?

Thanks, that's what I thought too. I watched the 1986 CCTV series starring Liu Xiao Ling Tong back then. That one was great, a classic for sure. Other ones after that, not so much  :sadno:

How about the movie recently, is it good?

Which one do you mean ?

That was this Feb. Weak movie ...

check a few posts above

Thank you firedeep.  When 707m RMB converted to US dollars, it will be around 115m US dollars and this is why your IM3 cum always come slightly lower than official's cum in US dollars?

Edited by My sugar is raw

Yeah, that's something I noticed too.  The US dollar amount slightly differs from various sources that posts these numbers.  I think its because the exchange rate of the Chinese yuan to dollar keeps adjusting.  And different sources probably didn't use the same exchange rate.

So I guess its best to post the number in Chinese yuan?  But it will be nice to know the dollar amount as well.

Edited by Ay72998

American Dreams in China, will still top at China Box Office this week.  As of 24th of May, It now has grossed over $38m since it opened on 17th of May...  It could reach $50m( just in 10 days) by the end of this Sunday, 26th of May.

Edited by waterdeep