A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

That's the thing I don't understand with China, why do they randomly decide which movie will get extension. Last year LOP was blowing up but no extension but this year Croods gets one, fricking ridiculous.  :rant:

I don't think there was anything random about LoP not getting an extension. December is a traditional protection month and an extension would've let it run the entire month instead of just most of it. More importantly, the end of its 30-day run coincided with the release of three big local films (CZ12, The Guillotines and The Last Tycoon), the last two of which needed all the help they could get (and more or less tanked anyway). And CZ12 was distributed by the very powerful Huayi Brothers, who already resented Pi for cutting Back to 1942 off at the knees in November.

Edited by Bob Violence

I just did some research, it seems "Switch" (with Andy Lau) and "Badges of Fury" (with Jet Li and Wen Zhang) are releasing this June right?  Aren't these two films pretty high-profile?  

Switch (3D) 6.9 [this is why FF6 was moved, to protect this film. Give the best date to it] But I dont think this film can do too big. Early reviews very bad ... maybe 200M yuan tops.

Badges of Fury 6.27 Very close to Tiny Times (6.28), but wont come close to the latter's total gross though.

FF6 now 6.20. Pretty bad date. 10 days after its release, it will lose most of its screens to Tiny Times and Badges of Fury and MU.

Man of Steel and World War Z will go head to head around September or the last week of August. It is always planned like that.

After Earth will be close to FF6; Paific Rim and Long Ranger will be in late July, close to each other.

Hey everyone long time lurker first time poster; you know I honestly thought that MOS could break the 300 mil internationally, but seeing how they're releasing it in Russia on the same day as MU (suicide!) and its not being released in China until possibly September I really can't see this movie making much more than SR did. Quite a shame that WB are not utilizing the superhero craze overseas to good effect, I guess they're banking it all on the US market.

Yeah in Russia animated films usually do monster (forgive the pun) business, I honestly don't know what WB was thinking with that release date; and why release the movie so late in big markets like japan and brazil, lots of this doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah in Russia animated films usually do monster (forgive the pun) business, I honestly don't know what WB was thinking with that release date; and why release the movie so late in big markets like japan and brazil, lots of this doesn't make sense to me.

Certain animated films do very well in Russia, but not Pixar films, so MU shouldn't be a big problem there, and films usually release late in Japan, it seems to help them there, particularly for films with good WOM.