psycofirek

Possible to track Box Office by State

HeyI am working on a research project and I was wondering whether anyone knew if there were ways to track the Box Office Breakdown by State and not just nationwide. It seems that the number is generally cumulative, but there may be a way?Note, I would prefer to do this as a yearly total box office, and not broken down per movie. Any input is appreciated!

It would be interesting to get this kind of information, especially if two films are really close to one another for the #1 spot.Back before they went out of print, the Seattle P-I used to list the top 10 Seattle area earnings from the previous weekend in Friday's A&E pullout. It was always interesting to see where movie performances and tastes lined up with/deviated from national earnings.

They could be very close.

No. NY is the arts capital of the US. CA is the film capital of the US. But NY is really big into film and movies. Also NY has the highest ticket prices. I am pretty sure that NY is the second biggest contributor to BO grosses in the US.

I will guess this:Overal yearly box office rank for top States:1. CA2. TX3. NY4. FL5. ILNot sure about left ...

I'm pretty certain NY ranks above TX.

the list for top 5 is almost correct (#3 FL,#4 NY), totally get why you'd think NY would be 2nd but isn't, CA by country mile and TX to NY bit of a gap, NYC & LA biggest citywiseIf you throw Canada into the mix ON is above IL, NY & FL can flipflop #3&4 (usually not much between them) , last time NY was #2 was 2003(and 1 or two other times few years prior but not far behind TX when it was) Edited by Rth
  • Like 8

the list for top 5 is correct, totally get why you'd think NY would be 2nd but isn't, CA by country mile and TX to NY bit of a gap, NYC & LA biggest citywiseIf you throw Canada into the mix ON is above IL, some years FL has been above NY(like in 2011 for one), last time NY was #2 was 2003(and 1 or two other times few years prior but not far behind TX when it was)

That is a huge surprise.

How would NSW rank? Or Australia for that matter, seeing as we have fewer people than Texas.

I would say NSW 5th ahead of Illinois.Australia 2nd behind California.

Boy the stats you guys want lolYes Aus would be 2nd behind CAand yes NSW above IL Edited by Rth
  • Like 3