CoolioD1

Film Critics Awards 2012 (Winners in 1st post)

The closest and most surprising race saw Rachel Weisz (“The Deep Blue Sea”) edged Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games” and “The Silver Lining Playbook”) and Emmanuelle Riva (“Amour”). Last year’s winner Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty”) was a factor throughout, tying for the lead on several ballots. (This race was by far the most polarized; only three of the 16 ballots cast for Lawrence or Chastain cited both actresses.)

Well, at least J.Law is in major contention. She will do better with other groups.

Greig Fraser was named Best Cinematographer for “Zero Dark Thirty,” beating the initial favorite, “The Master” on the third ballot. (In a simple, up and down vote, the critics declined to acknowledge Fraser for his work on “Killing Them Softly.”)

:(

Poor Andrew Dominik. His film is getting rejected at every turn. I need to see it for myself and see if it deserves that F cinemascore and tepid critical reaction.

An early favorite for Best Director, Paul Thomas Anderson was overwhelmed by Kathryn Bigelow on the second ballot, with Ben Affleck (“Argo”) finishing a distant third. (Strikingly, Steven Spielberg, who failed to get a single first ballot votes, was never in contention.) By this time, it was evident that “Zero Dark Thirty” would run the table and, indeed, “The Master” finished third for Best Picture behind “Argo,” although it took three ballots for the obviously exhausted voters to decide the winner.

Fish:Critics don`t have faith that Lincoln will beat Les Mis hence ZDT bandwaggon. Though ZDT actually looks good.

:o:blink:

Speilberg complete snub. Shocking.

Splitting votes with Riva.

More accurately splitting votes with Chastain. The first vote of the season and she's already lost because of vote split. Things are looking up for a Chastain and Lawrence defeat in February! :D

:o :blink:Speilberg complete snub. Shocking.

This. It isn't so much that he lost, but the fact that his film didn't place in the top 3, and Spielberg himself didn't get a single mention at all that's just shocking. I would've at least expected his film to come in Second, and Spielberg himself in the top 3.

Rachel Weisz win really came out of nowhere. Never even heard of the movie. According to Crone it's no good, so I guess I should go out and rent it ASAP.

I saw it on Netflix instant watch. Not a bad movie, just sad and depressing.

Deep Blue Sea is shite but Weisz was getting raves for it and quite afew ADers were mourning the fact nobody saw it and that she`d likely be forgotten. Turns out, NYCC resurrected her. Most likely for the moment but she`s more relvant now than several hours ago.Amour is doing great so Riva is a lock. Imagine if hotties split votes and Riva wins? Anyway, Jen, Jes and Emmy are locked and loaded.

Deep Blue Sea is shite but Weisz was getting raves for it and quite afew ADers were mourning the fact nobody saw it and that she`d likely be forgotten. Turns out, NYCC resurrected her. Most likely for the moment but she`s more relvant now than several hours ago.

Amour is doing great so Riva is a lock. Imagine if hotties split votes and Riva wins? Anyway, Jen, Jes and Emmy are locked and loaded.

Been predicting this for a while now. Riva's still my predicted winner. Enough Academy members a) have seen Hiroshima, Mon Amour and love her in it and B) Chastain and Lawrence vote split (If Knightley gets in as well, there'll just be more people to split votes with, Excellent). And, it seems that the Chastain and Lawrence factions are already pretty well established at least in the critics groups and those who aren't in either all think it's ridiculous and are looking for a concensus winner.

Tim Burton’s “Frankenweenie” needed two ballots to win Best Animated Film over Pixar’s “Brave” and the Focus Features release “ParaNorman,” in a race that saw a number of abstentions and included votes for several CGI-driven features, notably “The Hobbit” and “The Life of Pi.”

This worries me for WIR's chances. The one film this year I'll be passionate about at the Oscars, and it's not even mentioned in NYC. :(

I wasn't bored at all. But it was slow.

It wasn't a bad movie if you have the patience but I found it boring. Weisz is good though. (And I can't believe that something I practically pulled out of my ass based on a half arsed hunch actually won a major critic's award. :lol: Now, if only she wins NBR...)

It wasn't a bad movie if you have the patience but I found it boring. Weisz is good though. (And I can't believe that something I practically pulled out of my ass based on a half arsed hunch actually won a major critic's award. :lol: Now, if only she wins NBR...)

LOL kudos
  • Like 1