baumer

50 Films Better than TDKR in 2012

He's Batman, duh. :rolleyes:

OK, seriously though, this is a man who has traveled all over the world and has contacts nearly everywhere. Once reaching the city(that he was walking toward after climbing out), I'm sure it didn't take him long to figure out where he was. It's 2012, money is dispersed electronically these days. If they had a bank, he had access to at least part of his fortune with some help from...wait for it, Alfred(who had left the city, remember). You don't need ID to make a phone call, or use the internet. As far as getting back into the city, if the FBI could find a way, surely Batman could. And finding Selena in her stomping grounds was probably child's play. Now that you have seen how long it took me to explain all of this, that should be obvious to anyone, you can see why it wasn't included in the film as it would have slowed things down just when they needed to speed up. Nolan assumed his audience was smart enough to fill in the blanks...

I appreciate you explaining this. However, the original article made a good point that this was lazy writing.

Bruce getting back to Gotham isn't a problem for me. He was able to get back there in Batman Begins, and I just assumed that the pit was somewhere near where The League of Shadows was located in BB. I did have a problem with Bruce being able to jump out of the pit with only 1 try, despite no one else being able to do it. It was a complete break from character in my mind because at no point in the trilogy was Bruce shown to have superior jumping ability. I know Baumer's article didn't mention that, but it was something that annoyed me a bit.

As for Bruce getting back into Gotham, it was lazy writing, unless we assume that the pit is in Gotham itself. It seemed like the pit was in the middle of nowhere, so I don't think it was in Gotham. It would have been quite the action sequence to see Bruce fight or trick his way back into Gotham, so I don't buy the argument that it would have slowed the movie down. It is something that could have been explained if they tried, like Batman knowing a secret passageway. But they didn't try. I think it was lazy writing and is a flaw. We can't just expect that Bruce can fly back into the city unseen at super fast speed. He isn't Superman....he's Batman.

I'm not even sure that there are are 50 films better in the history of filmmaking than TDKR. Actually there are, but not in the past 25 years.

That's crazy.btw I don't agree with this article. Some of these movies I haven't seen but I think only a few of them are better than TDKR. And the article itself is just OK. Edited by CoolioD1

That's crazy.btw I don't agree with this article. Some of these movies I haven't seen but I think only a few of them are better than TDKR. And the article itself is just OK.

I actually thought the article was pretty good. It was very thought provoking. I do agree with you though that it's hard to say that there were 50 movies better than TDKR. However, I bet I could name 50 movies better than Titanic in 1997. I think when you just don't like a movie, it is easier to find movies that you feel are better.

I did have a problem with Bruce being able to jump out of the pit with only 1 try, despite no one else being able to do it. It was a complete break from character in my mind because at no point in the trilogy was Bruce shown to have superior jumping ability. I know Baumer's article didn't mention that, but it was something that annoyed me a bit.

Uh, it took Bruce 3 tries to get out of the pit. What movie were you watching?!
  • Like 1

Uh, it took Bruce 3 tries to get out of the pit. What movie were you watching?!

Didn't he have the rope around his waste the first 2 times? Then, he takes the rope off and makes it on the first try. But, no one else was able to make it without the rope. This, despite there being no establishment of any superior jumping ability in any of the 3 movies.However, if he did in fact try all 3 times without the rope, then I am wrong. But, I don't think that I am because then he'd have been dead after not making it the first time.

Didn't he have the rope around his waste the first 2 times? Then, he takes the rope off and makes it on the first try. But, no one else was able to make it without the rope. This, despite there being no establishment of any superior jumping ability in any of the 3 movies.However, if he did in fact try all 3 times without the rope, then I am wrong. But, I don't think that I am because then he'd have been dead after not making it the first time.

Talia made it without the rope. That's why the old man told him he needed to find the fear of death again and to make the climb "as the child did, without the rope." And guess what, if he failed without the rope he would have died. Movie over. You wanted that to happen?
  • Like 1

Talia made it without the rope. That's why the old man told him he needed to find the fear of death again and to make the climb "as the child did, without the rope." And guess what, if he failed without the rope he would have died. Movie over. You wanted that to happen?

No, I didn't want him to die. But the way he got out of the pit just didn't make sense to me. If all you had to do was fear death, then the old man should have been able to get out himself when he was younger. Or someone else should have been able to get out that way. It didn't make sense that a normal guy could make it because he took off the rope. It just seemed to be a break from his character and established capabilities.Edit: It's possible that I just don't remember his superior jumping abilities from BB or TDK. I mean people here had to explain to me about why the knife was able to go through his suit in TDKR, so I do forget things established in the previous movies. However, I haven't seen anyone point out that I'm wrong about that yet, so I am sticking with the idea that it's a break from his previously established character and capabilities. Edited by Walt Disney

No, I didn't want him to die. But the way he got out of the pit just didn't make sense to me. If all you had to do was fear death, then the old man should have been able to get out himself when he was younger. Or someone else should have been able to get out that way. It didn't make sense that a normal guy could make it because he took off the rope. It just seemed to be a break from his character and established capabilities.Edit: It's possible that I just don't remember his superior jumping abilities from BB or TDK. I mean people here had to explain to me about why the knife was able to go through his suit in TDKR, so I do forget things established in the previous movies. However, I haven't seen anyone point out that I'm wrong about that yet, so I am sticking with the idea that it's a break from his previously established character and capabilities.

If a child can make the jump without a rope, why can't Batman?

If a child can make the jump without a rope, why can't Batman?

But then why can't the other guys? Why are they all trying with ropes when they saw the child get out without the ropes?I guess I can accept that the child made it because she got lucky. In my mind, she could have made it or missed. It wasn't predestined that she made the jump. Maybe that's your answer to how Bruce made it; that he got lucky. However, it feels like we're supposed to believe that he made it because of some skill that the other guys in the pit didn't have.

But then why can't the other guys? Why are they all trying with ropes when they saw the child get out without the ropes?I guess I can accept that the child made it because she got lucky. In my mind, she could have made it or missed. It wasn't predestined that she made the jump. Maybe that's your answer to how Bruce made it; that he got lucky. However, it feels like we're supposed to believe that he made it because of some skill that the other guys in the pit didn't have.

Luck and more sense of urgency ("the fear of death"), plus better preparation than the first two times he tried it.

You're right Skyfall should get a 9/10

Maybe Baumer meant a 007/10. That's a special accolade.I would say I'd put 6-7 movies ahead of TDKR so far this year, with movies like Zero Dark Thirty to go. I'm sorry you other folks didn't enjoy it as much.
  • Like 1

Luck and more sense of urgency ("the fear of death"), plus better preparation than the first two times he tried it.

Luck makes sense. I can buy that argument. Although it feels like I am expected to believe that Bruce can make that jump again if he had to. Whereas with the girl (now woman), I don't feel like I am expected to believe that.The fear of death doesn't make sense because all that those guys in the pit think about is getting out of there. They are stuck there and dream of freedom. No one fears death more than them. They would do anything to escape.The preparation argument doesn't make sense because the other guys had tried it repeatedly also. They trained for years to make the jump. They should have been better prepared. And they did fear death, or atleast that's how it sounded to me when the pit was being described and how horrible their lives were in there.The fact that he's Batman means he should make the jump where others can't. But he isn't comic book Batman in this trilogy. Adam West's Batman would have had a secret grappling hook or shoes to help him. Nolan's Batman doesn't seem like he can do things that other men can't do without his batsuit and gadgets....and Nolan's Batman doesn't seem to have enough hidden gadgets.Edit: I guess you could say that the guys in the pit don't fear death. Their lives are worthless and all they want to do is escape the pit, so they have no fears. Thus, they never jumped like Bruce did....with the fear of death. However, I think I am getting stuck in one of these Nolan mind warps now. Edited by Walt Disney

The preparation argument doesn't make sense because the other guys had tried it repeatedly also.

Actually does, or did you forget that he was put into that prison with a broken back? He is progressively getting healthier as time goes on, is he not? So yes, better preparation/healing from his earlier attempts.

Actually does, or did you forget that he was put into that prison with a broken back? He is progressively getting healthier as time goes on, is he not? So yes, better preparation/healing from his earlier attempts.

That I agree with you about. He is a better prepared and healthier Bruce when he attempts the 3rd jump. He is the best Bruce that he can be and the most prepared when attempting the 3rd jump. My problem is why can Bruce do it when none of the other guys can. It isn't that he can do it that bothers me. It's that he can do it when no one else can, despite the fact that they spend their whole lives training to do only one thng.....make that jump. Edited by Walt Disney

That I agree with you about. He is a better prepared and healthier Bruce when he attempts the 3rd jump. He is the best brice that he can be and the most prepared when attempting the 3rd jump. My problem is why can Bruce do it when none of the other guys can. It isn't that he can do it. It's that he can do it when no one else cane, despite the fact that they spend their whole lives training to do it.

But he wasn't the only one who did it, a little girl pulled it off. Luck was definitely a part of it in both cases. And I don't buy the idea that this is any sillier than the dumb luck that he has in numerous scenarios throughout BB/TDK. His fall at the end of TDK should have killed him.

The fear of death doesn't make sense because all that those guys in the pit think about is getting out of there. They are stuck there and dream of freedom. No one fears death more than them. They would do anything to escape.

As far as we know, no other prisoner tried without the rope (other than Talya), it's the fact that you either make the jump or die that instills the necessary fear of death. Edited by Tower

As far as we know, no other prisoner tried without the rope (other than Talya), it's the fact that you either make the jump or die that instills the necessary fear of death.

That's actually a pretty good point. We don't know if any other prisoner ever tried it without the rope, and it's possible that the old man didn't realize that's why Talya was able to escape until he became older and wiser. Thus, he was too old to do it himself at that point.I can accept that reason. You have made it make sense for me.