baumer

Moulin Rouge

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I adore this film, but this is one of the more hit and miss movies I've come across when recommending it to friends. Not much middle ground, you love it or hate it. Near as I can tell, if you don't get hooked by the time Ewan belts out "Your Song" then this probably isn't the movie for you.I can't recall a movie where my opinion shifted more rapidly than this one. The beginning is odd (standard Baz movie in that regard), the Sound of Music bit was interesting/different, the "Can Can" number was very offputting, but when "Your Song" came along, the magic really caught me. Ewan is hardly the best vocalist ever, but there's something incredibly endearing about his tone and the way he sings with a laugh in his voice during the Elephant Medley that's just wonderfully compelling. By far one of my favorite non-singer song performances.Normally I hate hate hate alternate arrangements of classic songs, but this is one of those rare times where they work. Their arrangement of "Your Song" is now my preferred version, and the inspired mess that is the Elephant Medley makes for a very memorable scene.So in summary, uneven acting, wacky direction, questionable vocal performances, but incredible fantasy and movie magic all lead to one of my favorite musicals ever. If you've not seen it and you're one of the ones it connects with, you're in for a treat.A-

• Like 2

One of my favorite musicals and only few time I could actually bear MacGregor's acting. Le Bolero du Moulin Rouge FTW! Satine :wub:

Near as I can tell, if you don't get hooked by the time Ewan belts out "Your Song" then this probably isn't the movie for you.

QFT. That's when the movie grabbed me in its over-the-top universe.

A.

Edited by dashrendar44

Seeing The Great Gatsby this evening made me realize how much I really LOVE Moulin Rouge! Ewan McGregor waking up millions of Parisians singing "Your Song" to Nicole Kidman gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. So many iconic images and re-imagined melodies throughout really stay with you for a lifetime. Definitely plan to watch this again some time over the weekend.

A+

• Like 2

absolutely fantastic, though because the intentionally flimsy romance/story/etc. was covered up by so much sugar and energy, when some of that sheen slipped away in the second half it lost a bit of its imagination. but fucking hell the boundlessly kinetic visual styling is amazing.

A

also feel the need to point out this quote:

'behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist'

this movie is that idealism.

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

Pretentious, annoying and a very, very weak plot.

It's basically style over substance. It's cool to look at, but that's about it. Unlike Romeo + Juliet and The Great Gatsby, which had good source material to mesh with the awesome visuals, this has nothing.

Just a terrible movie.

D+ 

Edited by Alpha