baumer

Django Unchained

77 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Jackson’s Django co-stars Di Caprio and Christoph Waltz both got nominated for Golden Globes for Best Supporting Actor but Jackson, who has been getting his own share of awards buzz, was left out. He knows the game. “I understand what the Golden Globes is. It’s the only show they (the Hollywood Foreign Press Association) have and is their biggest moneymaker so you have to pack the room with people that are going to make people tune into that show. With popular actors and the popular television shows, it’s whoever they think people want to see on the red carpet and hope that they win, not necessarily the quality of work you’ve done,” he says.

So I guess we won’t expect to see Jackson turning up as a presenter on the Globes this year? Jackson doesn’t seem to care. He says he is not in it for awards as some actors may be. “I figured out early in the game that the best thing for me to do is just keep going to work. I don’t worry about picking a movie that says ‘oh my god, this has Oscar potential’. Other people think about that stuff, I don’t. I look at some actors and go ‘they only do those kinds of movies’. I do movies I want to see myself. Like Quentin, he writes the movies he wants to see. I tend to take roles that I want to see me in. I enjoy movies for the audience aspect of it. I am an audience member. I like all kinds of movies and if the role is right in that kind of movie and the timing is right I’m going to do it”.

-Deadline

Well he just fucked that up.

Jackson’s Django co-stars Di Caprio and Christoph Waltz both got nominated for Golden Globes for Best Supporting Actor but Jackson, who has been getting his own share of awards buzz, was left out. He knows the game. “I understand what the Golden Globes is. It’s the only show they (the Hollywood Foreign Press Association) have and is their biggest moneymaker so you have to pack the room with people that are going to make people tune into that show. With popular actors and the popular television shows, it’s whoever they think people want to see on the red carpet and hope that they win, not necessarily the quality of work you’ve done,” he says.

I`m sorry but is it possible that nobody sees that he dissed Waltz and Leo with that comment? He put them into the same category of ratings whoring like The Tourist. As if they didn`t deserve to be nominated. I mean, HFPA are star fuckers and they do nominate based on popularity but that`s mostly reserved for Comedy categories and Waltz is not a bigger name than SLJ. Plus, he and Leo deserve their noms. So, IMO, SLJ is a real ass here. He could have said that his co-stars were deserving, since they were, after unleashing an attack on HFPA.

Also, his comments about Martin Landau and Ed Wood were not cool. It`s OK to be honest and say, yes I should have won instead, but saying that nobody remembers Ed Wood is proposterous.

Edited by fishnets

I`m sorry but is it possible that nobody sees that he dissed Waltz and Leo with that comment? He put them into the same category of ratings whoring like The Tourist. As if they didn`t deserve to be nominated. I mean, HFPA are star fuckers and they do nominate based on popularity but that`s mostly reserved for Comedy categories and Waltz is not a bigger name than SLJ. Plus, he and Leo deserve their noms. So, IMO, SLJ is a real ass here. He could have said that his co-stars were deserving, since they were, after unleashing an attack on HFPA.Also, his comments about Martin Landau and Ed Wood were not cool. It`s OK to be honest and say, yes I should have won instead, but saying that nobody remembers Ed Wood is proposterous.

I'm going to have to agree. I don't think he meant to attack Leo and Waltz but he did.

This movie was weird for me. Let me just say I give it an A-.What's weird is that I really loved the first part (Foxx and Waltz alone) and the second part (CandieLand). What's weird about it is it felt like two different movies. Both were awesome, but together they just didn't mesh. Also, after the main shootout it just became overlong and tedious. Not as good as IB.

This movie was weird for me. Let me just say I give it an A-.What's weird is that I really loved the first part (Foxx and Waltz alone) and the second part (CandieLand). What's weird about it is it felt like two different movies. Both were awesome, but together they just didn't mesh. Also, after the main shootout it just became overlong and tedious. Not as good as IB.

Well then didn't it come full circle as in part 3 Foxx did the leftovers in, which was closer to part 1.

Jackson did not say anything remotely disrespectful to his costars.

Yes he did. He said that GG nominate based on popularity and not necessarily quality of work. Which is strongly implying that was how Leo and Waltz got nominated. Here`s the quote again:

That`s lumping his co-stars with the crowd that gets nominated for ratings. He could have said something like "that said, Leo and Cristoph totally deserve their nominations and GG got that right." But he didn`t.

The guy wants and Oscar. If you want to win, you have to tell the world that you want it. He`s also campaigning for himself. So gloves are off. No Go Team! shit if you want to win. It`s yes, I`m better and I should win. That`s pretty much what he`s saying. I mena, I can`t totally begrudge him but I prefer class.

Edited by fishnets

I agree that part 1 and 2 didn`t mesh though they were awsome each. Part 3 (after the shooting) is the weakest because I think people were more invested in Schultz than Django and Candie was Schultz`s antagonist from the moment they met and their banter was great while Stephen wasn`t Django`s antagonist so clearly until he had to interrupt castration to send him to labour prison. But they ddin`t have a chance to verbally spar until the very end so that was kinda unticlimactic because Schultz and Candie were the real climax.

The editing is weak. It's clear that either they were really rushed to finish the film- according to stories it was in serious jeopardy of even reaching its release date- or Sally Menke's absence was felt. But as a result the pacing in some sequences is rough and the shootout near the end feels like a false ending even though it shouldn't.

Having said that, Tarantino remains one of the best directors working today. He pulls off tricky tonal shifts and finds the humor is wickedness. He makes audiences cheer for people being blown up and then points inward and makes audiences think about why they're cheering (remember the theater scene in Basterds?). He consistently blows the doors off of convention and traditional roles. And Django does all of this with flying colors. It's a monumental American film, bringing to light a really ugly side of our history with emotion and humor and NOT preachiness or self-importance. It's almost three hours but it goes by in the blink of an eye. I could have spent another hour or two just watching Waltz and Foxx kill racist white people.

And having said that, the performances in this film are incredible. Foxx has been lost a bit in all the praise of Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson, but the straight man is always underappreciated. He brings this level of nuance necessary to portray both a slave who's been through way too much and a kick-ass action hero. The rest are brilliant, scary and funny. Schultz is a reprise of Landa (which is never a bad thing) but he gets a chance to do some really nice emotional work near the end. DiCaprio is scary and despicable... I've always wanted to see a performance like this out of him. I found Jackson more sad than threatening but he may be the funniest part of the whole film... his first facial expression alone had me in stitches.

I can't say it's Tarantino's best film but it's another great film to add to his filmography.

A-

This should be required reading for anyone dubious about a certain character motivation in the film: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/20/quentin-tarantino-django-unchained_n_2340987.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

• Like 1

Does anyone love the blood-splattered Big Daddy horse moment? I thought it was beautiful.Yes, it needed tighter editing but the content is so strong and performances beyond brilliant that it didn`t take away from the movie.

Edited by fishnets

So why give it an A? Doesn't sound like an A review to me.

Personally I was fine with the 3rd part of Foxx by himself....They needed to build him up to show his final set of kills...and as per the above most loved his killing Samuel Jackson....Lastly I hate when a movie or tv show ends a movie in like 5 minutes, and justs rushes through it. Ending so fast. It feels like a jip. I love when you get a couple of minutes with the good guy, celbrating his win.....as you got at the end, with Foxx and the girl on the horse.

I loved that Schultz always introduced his horse.The ending with Django and the girl where he does those silly things to impress her is growing on me the more I think about it. It`s totally earned. Want to see it again on Tuesday.

Edited by fishnets

So why give it an A? Doesn't sound like an A review to me.

I loved the first part as much as, if not more than IB. I was sitting there thinking "man, i really love this." Part 2 was was great too, it was just that awkward third act, which didn't have enough to bring it down a full grade. I definitely agree about the editing.

Does anyone love the blood-splattered Big Daddy horse moment? I thought it was beautiful.Yes, it needed tighter editing but the content is so strong and performances beyond brilliant that it didn`t take away from the movie.

I think the shot of the blood spatter on the cotton was one of my favorite shots this year. Such simple, but beautiful cinematography.