baumer

Django Unchained

77 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked this movie, but I wasn't blown away with it, like the two other friends I saw it with. They're much bigger Quentin Tarantino fans than I am. I'll start off by saying the acting in this movie was incredible. The 4 leads played by Samuel L Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Dicaprio, and Jamie Foxx were all badasses. Critics seem to be giving the most praise to Waltz and Dicaprio, but I thought Sam Jackson was the real scene stealer. He was a huge dick in the movie, and a great villain. Too bad he isn't getting more BSA consideration. He deserves it. Surprised to see Dicaprio play a villain. You can tell he had a blast playing this role. Surprised to see Hollywood's Golden Boy playing a villainous bastard.Movie was a true spaghetti western, a lot like Kill Bill. Django Unchained is just like your typical revenge/justice movie. But, Quentin Tarantino's movies are much more than that. He has this unique artistic/violent style unlike any other director in Hollywood. Quentin Tarantino films are "event" films, you always go in not knowing what to expect. Then, you admire how creative his films are after you get done viewing them.This movie was good, but it wasn't classics like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, or Inglourious Bastards were. I will definitely buy it on blu-ray though.B+, 4.25/5

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 2

In Django Unchained, a slave by the name Django (Jamie Foxx), D-J-A-N-G-O, the D is silent, gets picked up by a German former dentist turned bounty hunter, named Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz). Dr. Schultz needs Django because he can identify 3 brothers that currently have a bounty on them. They end up negotiating a deal wherein Django can attain his freedom for finding these guys and Schultz will help him get back his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington).Firstly, I found this Django Unchained better then Inglourious Basterds. In my opinion, with the two films compared, IB seems safer, more commercial, and deep issues were glossed over. In DU, it is the complete opposite. It is bloody violent and the issues are starting at you right in your face, like one of those white folks gazing at Django on his horse. There is not 1 or 2 but 4 stellar performances in here. I don't know how Tarantino does it but he manages to bring the best out of all his performers. In order of appearance, I had some reservations with Foxx after reading Will Smith dropped out but now I can't imagine anyone else in the role. He totally owns the understated strong and silent type Django is. And when he tells you to say goodbye, prepare for impact! Then there is Waltz. He is playing a character similar to his IB character but still in this environment, it really played to his strength since instead of mucking around killing people, which he does a lot of, he gets deals done. He is a very calculating guy. Then there is Calvin Candie played by DiCaprio. He seems all well and good if you mean what you say, but if you get caught lying to him, keep the 3 dimples in the back of head far away from him! I was slightly worried by the understated beginnings but what a blustery end! Then there is Stephen by Samuel L Jackson. You may not even know he is in the film and I'd like to keep it that way. He is a shock. Steals every scene. Just a riot. I loved this movie. It is nearly 3 hours long but could have sat in there for another 5. Also, there is a short tiny post credit scene. May give you an extra laugh before you leave the theater. A+

• Like 1

I disagree about this being better than Inglourious Basterds - that was a masterpiece. This is just awesome. I really hope Leo gets nominated. My favorite scenes:1. The bag scene - my friend thought it was useless, and it was, but it was hilarious.2. The shootout - does anyone know the song? I loved the whole scene, and would not have been disappointed if it ended there.

I liked the movie a lot but I want to echo the sentiments of filmbuff. Samuel L. Jackson might have the best supporting performance I have seen this year. In fact, all due respect to Waltz and DiCaprio, who were fantastic also, Jackson is the best supporting performance I have seen this year. He steals every damn scene he is in. His reaction to first seeing Django and Dr. King ride in on their horses had me in tears from laughing. He's just so incredulous and his dialogue is written so perfectly. You're supposed to hate him in here, and you do of course, but he is just so damned fun to watch and listen to. I'd love to see him win this year.9/10

• Like 1

I honestly don`t think that scene stealing automatically means a better performance. SLJ was great and Waltz was totally winning as a trully likable good guy who`s good at hunting down bad guys. No wonder critics are trying to get him nominated by committing a category faud - he`s clearly a co-lead but has no chance in that category so they are pushing him into supporting where he has better chance. However, that would be at the expense of Leo who must have balls of steel to agree to play this character. That 3 dimples speech is some really fucked up shit and you bet many bone fide stars wouldn`t be caught dead saying those line. That was supremly risky and he pulled it off completely. Really did something he hasn`t done before. I can also see why he could miss out on a nomination - the character is beyond disturbing. he didn`t want to play a likable villain and that was a great choice. His arrival really changed the mood of the movie from fun and breezy to serious shit though not without humor here and there. IMO, he deserves 10 oscars for this performance.Eveyrone brought their A game. Jamie, Don Fuckin Johnson, holy shit that KKK scene must be the funniest of 2012, Kerry Washington`s so insanely beautiful. I`m trully Wow`d.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

I honestly don`t think that scene stealing automatically means a better performance. SLJ was great and Waltz was totally winning as a trully likable good guy who`s good at hunting down bad guys. No wonder critics are trying to get him nominated by committing a category faud - he`s clearly a co-lead but has no chance in that category so they are pushing him into supporting where he has better chance. However, that would be at the expense of Leo who must have balls of steel to agree to play this character. That 3 dimples speech is some really fucked up shit and you bet many bone fide stars wouldn`t be caught dead saying those line. That was supremly risky and he pulled it off completely. Really did something he hasn`t done before. I can also see why he could miss out on a nomination - the character is beyond disturbing. he didn`t want to play a likable villain and that was a great choice. His arrival really changed the mood of the movie from fun and breezy to serious shit though not without humor here and there. IMO, he deserves 10 oscars for this performance.

Eveyrone brought their A game. Jamie, Don Fuckin Johnson, holy shit that KKK scene must be the funniest of 2012, Kerry Washington`s so insanely beautiful. I`m trully Wow`d.

Yeah, i remember when Hill showed up in the trailers I got real worried but oh boy that was :rofl:

What's so great about the KKK bag scene is you kinda wonder if something like that actually happened at some point. I saw a funny cartoon about the end of the Mayan calendar where one Mayan guy is carving into the stone tablet and says, "Oops, I ran out of room." Another Mayan responds, "That'll scare the hell out of someone in 2012." The KKK scene kind of reminded me of that cartoon. We laugh at this kind of stuff, but I think there is an element of truth in both scenarios. :lol:

Loved it, loved it, loved it. First off, Foxx blew me away. I love Will Smith, but I couldn't imagine him or anyone else in this part. Foxx was just so cool, so badass, and so likable. Killer. Waltz gets incredible dialogue, and runs away with the first half of the movie. He's amazing. Leo started off a little slow, but once they got to Candyland, boy oh boy did he blow me away. The dinner speech scene with the skulls and the negotiation might just be the best acted scene of the year. SLJ was everybody's favorite in my theater, even if he was so hateable. Absolutely stole every scene he was in, hilarious. The rest of the cast was great too. Excellent music and directing, perfect writing. Hated the scene with QT himself, took me out of the movie. But besides that, loved it. A

I really liked DU. I saw it twice and may catch it again this weekend. Walz, Jackson, and DiCaprio give Oscar nomination worthy performances. I'd like to see Walz win another one.

Apparently the scene at the dinner table where Candie slams his hand against the table drawing blood was real. DiCaprio didn't stop acting and did a very good job improvising.

As far as the excessive use of the n-word, this IMDB poster said it best:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/board/thread/208656531?d=208660437&p=4#208660437

• Like 1

Honestly this was a mixed bag for me. I did not go into it expecting to love it, so maybe that colored my perception a bit, but I think I would have felt this way regardless. I am a Quentin Tarantino fan. I love Reservoir Dogs, think Kill Bill is a blast, Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction are great, Inglorious Basterds is a masterpiece IMO, and I even liked Death Proof!But with Django, I believe Tarantino has finally jumped the shark and bought into his own cult. I won't say this is a bad movie or that I even didn't like it, quite the contrary I found it to be entertaining, stylistic, FUNNY, and as usual with QT, he pulled some amazing performances from his cast. Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz were both incredible, and Leo and SLJ delivered big time in their love-to-hate roles. I think I was most surprised by Waltz, who I figured was a one trick pony, but nope, he was really fantastic in this. Leo on the other hand, based on reviews I was expecting a truly ruthless, sick fuck evil villain but I didn't really get that from him- he was more in line with other Tarantino pulpy, comedic baddies. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not like he was a Hannibal Lector.While I give Tarantino credit for carving his own niche, practically his own genre, this just didn't do it for me the way some of his past efforts have. I think Django went overboard and couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Is it a comedy? Is it a brutal realistic look at slavery? Is it a revenge fantasy? You can't respond to the "n-word controversy" (which BTW I actually didn't find to feel gratuitous at all) by saying that it's a reality of Southern life in the 1800s while at the same time filling your movie with overbearing cartoon violence and Jonah Hill KKK jokes. I get it, that's Tarantino-style and of course you expect the snappy dialogue and humorous take on something serious but to me it felt like this one went so over the top that it became a parody of itself and actually undercut the subject matter whereas I never got that with Basterds.And let's face it, this is the exact same movie as Inglorious Basterds- just swap slaves for Jews and slave owners for Nazis and there you go. There's bound to be comparisons, and for me this doesn't even come close to IB. I know QT wanted to do a Spaghetti Western, but in the form of yet another revisionist revenge tale, right after his last one? I think Tarantino's problem is that he's so attention starved, he's just constantly, CONSTANTLY trying to shock the fuck out of you and in this case it's so transparent that it takes me out of the movie. One way he could actually shock me is to stop appearing in his own films, because he's a horrible actor and completely distracting. Right now people have an adrenaline rush from the movie but down the line it won't be remembered as one of QT's best.7/10

• Like 1

While I disagree with your assessment of it adim, but I do understand how you feel. That's how I felt about Deathproof. He just made a movie where he believes his own hype.This worked for me but I can understand why it would not work for someone else.