Incarnadine

The Americans

Phew scrolled down quickly so not to see spoilers I'm waiting till the season ends to watch season 2 episodes, some shows lend themselves to marathon viewing ! With this show I can't imagine waiting an entire week to find out what happens next

Even though the ratings are terrible, it just got renewed for season 3.  First season wasn't great, but this season is much better, so I'm happy.

Wow! Excellent news. I had kinda stopped prioritizing the show because I was convinced about it's cancelization. I'll catch up again. Only 1-2 behind.

So Philipp is Team Russia again, huh? All the back and forth is gonna make him snap.

I think this dynamic is fun though. The show has been building up since episode one to have you think that Elizabeth is the hardcore commie and that Philipp will eventually defect. What if Elizabeth is the one that ends up breaking? I could see it going that way.

Also I'm a little surprised that Nina has all of a sudden become infatuated with Oleg, but maybe she's playing him too? For her safety?

It's been a slow season but it looks like things are going to pick up big time next week. Great episode this week. Henry breaking down because of how bad he felt was heartbreaking. Who knows what the hell Nina is doing. I'm calling that whenever she gets made by Stan her time on the show comes to an end. It's been made clear enough that he has something of a temper.

:lol:What, you guys hate Nina?Sorry, I thought the Henry crying scene was cringe-worthingly, eye-roll inducingly bad. Way over the top, no subtlety whatsoever to the metaphor. What kid reacts like that? "I swear in not a bad person!!"

Well, kids aren't known for subtlety. It actually sounded like something a real kid would think/say, which is why I thought it was effective. Henry and Paige have been written as pretty smart kids, so it's realistic that he'd have a legitimate moral dilemma when reality hit him and he realized that he was actually a criminal.

As for Nina, I don't hate Nina. Just sayin' that I think she's playing too many angles, and she's gonna get got for it.

I hope Matthew Rhys gets some Emmy attention for this episode. Assuming that Best Actor is pretty much a two-man race with Cranston and McConaughey, any chance he slides into one of the three remaining spots? I don't watch nearly enough currently airing TV to know the whole field, but I do know that he stole the entire damn series tonight.

So that was a pretty fantastic finale. The cold open might've been my favorite the show's had yet, the confrontation with Larrick was super-tense, the twist with Jared was genuinely surprising and heartbreaking, and the seeds planted for next season... holy shit. At first it just seemed like an exciting episode to wrap up the season without much of a hook for next year, but then they met with their old handler and all that changed. The Jennings' relationship with the center looked like its days were numbered, and then it turned again and it went back to the initial conflict from the pilot between militant patriot Elizabeth and family man Phillip. Add Paige into the mix, with all of the development she's had this year, and shit's about to get real.

Conclusively, for the season as a whole, it was great. Less exciting than season one, but from a critical perspective, it blew away the first season. It was very slow and methodical, and didn't really bother holding your hand so you had to pay close attention and remember things (which I failed to do a fair amount), but the material was top notch. Lots of shows have slow burns, including my favorite ever Breaking Bad, but I think what made the slow-ness stand out was that the show wasn't really working toward any end-game. I mean they don't need to, since it's only the second season, but most of the plot advancement was centered on the ongoing war between the US and the Soviet Union. As opposed to the Jennings family's cover, relations, etc. You got a lot of Stan and Nina which ultimately just served to drive Stan to isolation and heartbreak going into season three, and introduce Oleg as a force on the Soviet side. You got a lot of speak about technology the countries were feuding over, which was usually what the Jennings were tasked with doing. Where the first season was focused on Phillip and Elizabeth's marriage, their cover, their relationship with the kids, etc, this was more focused on elements less vital to the series' narrative, like what the Americans are using for their stealth. So it's still strong TV, it just isn't quite as engaging. But the complete lack of threat to the Jennings family throughout the season made it hit that much harder when they find themselves in real danger in this finale, so it all pays off.

Also, this show has more sex crammed into it than any basic cable show I've seen since Rescue Me. Granted, it has a much better justification, since it's about spies and sex is part of their jobs, but still. FX got the booties!