baumer

Tues Numbers RTH (NYD and Cheap Tues make for big bump)

Well, 40 minutes dinner scene, I mean hell, in such an amount of time, we don't even recall half of the dwarves' names (Who is Oin? Dori or Gloin?I had to look up on Wikipedia) and some said Avengers Introduction was flimsy and boring...

To be honest, those dwarves don't matter enough to bother remembering their names, in the book or the movie. Only ones who matter much are Thorin, then Fili and Kili, then maybe Balin. The others, not so much.

Not sure you can claim to not be a loonie if you've seen a movie 4 times going on 5. Well, you can claim it all you want i suppose, but you can't expect to be taken seriously.

I am a different sort of audience member. I like the movie-going experience, but am very picky about the types of movies I see. Basically, I like films that are reminiscent of the old-school story telling method (down-to-earth but larger than life characters, quaint/charming settings, the show-don't-tell approach). I don't like rom-coms or any type of chick flick, stay away from rated R movies and avoid movies that proffer political agendas, so I'm left with very little from which to choose. When I find a movie that fits my bill, I will see it. If I enjoy it, I will see it again. If I really enjoy it, I will see it multiple times and bring along friends and family to experience it with me. If that makes me a loony (loonie, looney) by whatever definition the members of this forum opt, then, okay. But I won't get into any debates or heated exchanges about it. I think the Hobbit is a fine film and look forward to seeing it again. Oh, and it's fine by me if folks on this board don't take me seriously. I've endured worse things in life. ;)

You got to be a Loonie to inflict yourself the overlong Dwarvesfest dinner that seems to drag on forever 4 times (?!) without feeling bored. Non-fans would rather take a nap waiting for the action bits.

LOL. I liked the "Dwarvesfest dinner". It was like watching my brothers eat when we were kids.

After all these years, people still don't realize that we all have different tastes and interests?

Meh, it seems to me that many of those people are young/immature. They'll learn. For now, I rather enjoy their - how shall I say - opinions. I find them charming in a weird way.

It's 20 minutes but it felt twice longer.

I've seen it twice, once on opening day and once yesterday, and the crowd I saw it with in both cases felt entirely otherwise. I guess some just don't like Dwarves acting like Dwarves and necessary exposition to introduce the characters, the premise, and the stakes. Edited by 4815162342

That's not what the prologue was supposed to do for the premise?Introduce characters and stakes? Because re-introducing Frodo and Old Bilbo was absolutely necessary... As losing 20 minutes introducing a dozen dwarves, 3 quarter of them I can't even recall their names and I've been told they're irrelevant to the story as a whole so knowing their names don't even matter...Yeah right, necessary exposition.

Edited by dashrendar44

The fact that she's singing the most loved song of Les Mis incredibly well and they market their small role as a lead means that she is the draw. Not only her obviously, but she adds a lot to help the film being a huge hit. Winning tons of awards won't hurt either.

I'm not sure that's the most loved song. I would go with the one Eponine sings.

My question is, why did the Neeson-starring Les Miz bomb so badly in the 90's?

For one thing they left out a big chunk of the story. They made two characters into one, left out others entirely and other sorts of foolishness. I actually liked it though. Plus the songs in the musical are beautiful. Edited by ECSTASY